• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Goodbye Nytro, hello new sled

Grimm

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 MXZ 850
Well, after 7 years on a Yamaha, I went shopping seriously for a new 4 stroke sled from either Arctic Cat or Skidoo. My sleds, both a Vector and an FX Nytro had given me some grief both cost and maintenance wise, as I was always trying to make the sleds handle better and provide me with long term comfort.

I really was eyeing a new turbo Cat and was anxious to see how their new chassis would hold up this winter. With the littany of issues and recalls, I put that idea out of mind and wouldn't dare put money down for a spring order 2013 Procross.

Onto Skidoo...last week, I was really hoping that they were going to come out with a new a new mid powered, lighter weight 4 stroke sled, however all the rumours turned out false. Nothing really new with the 1200 engine (rumoured to have a boost in performance), so I started looking at Skidoo leftovers, however the deals weren't enough to get me to bite.

I wish Polaris would have a 120+ hp 4 stroke in their stable by now. I really think that they put out a great chassis at a fair price and even if they did come out with a larger 4 stroke for the 2013 season, I wouldn't take a chance on it until I see it's reliable.

So, in the end I chose a sled that I know is reliable and powerful, a 2011 Apex. It may be heavy, but I know it's a great quality sled. Yamaha has slowly made improvements along the way with regards to slide wear, hand warmers, idler wheels, a bump in power and power steering. Finally, I'll be able to put my C&A Outlaw skis to good use without all the strain on my body. I look forward to picking it up tomorrow. The best part of it all and the clincher, was the price. While last year, Yamaha wanted $16800 Cdn + taxes for this sled, I managed to get this sled with all available rebates totalling $5300, for the price of $11500 + taxes. I feel I scored pretty well.

I really surprised myself because I didn't think my next sled would be a Yamaha, due to the nagging little maintenance issues and my disdain for Yamaha not coming up to the plate and rectifying issues in a timely manner, however it was Yamaha's engine reliability that kept me on the blue side. But this Apex is actually red, looks killer.

So, TY is not gonna see the end of me here, at least for now. But a warning to Yamaha, do not rest on your laurels rehashing the same product year after year. Time to bring something exciting to the sled market...a lighter weight, mid powered, great handling sled.

Feel sorry for anybody that purchased a 2011 Apex last season because now the 2011s have over $4000 CDN discounted off list price(a black SE arrived here last week,sweet sound).Well at least last winter you could get more miles in.Enjoy the new yami.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures! I guess this new snow we got came just in time for the new sled!

Went with the 128, didn't want an XTX...too much slide wear and wanted to keep a short sled.

I've got about 2700 km so far this winter...while we've had a low snow winter so far, what has fallen has managed to stick around. Plus, a 2 hour drive north to Deep River, there's plenty of snow.

Pics will follow after the weekend :)

grats on the new sled, went in an talked to my dealer a couple weeks ago the best they could do for a nytro rtx leftover was 11k+tax so i think you did well

Congrats on the new ride!

Congrats Grimm, Love my SE even tho I paid top dollar last year for it, no regrets. Great deals to be had @ Knapps and Ron is a great guy to deal with. Did you buy it there? 7,000kms so far with lots of snow up north and at least 3 weekends left. I'll keep an eye open for a red one on the trail. Do you ride only in Ont. or do you get over to the Qc. on occasion. PS Power steering is awsome! ;)!

Bought it from Motorsportsworld. They matched Knapps price. I've only been in Quebec once, and that was during their free weekend. Primarily, I ride in Ontario.

I spent a whole day last week in the UP on my buddies 2007 Attak that has a Cobra track , an Ulmer clutch setup and SLP Powder Pro Skis . It took me awhile to get used to it being I still ride a Viper but about half way into my 150 mile trek I was getting very comfortable and was able to corner the thing very well pushing it as hard as I could. I have test ridden the 2011's before. IMO, with the older Apex sleds I would choose the 136" version but on the newer ones I would prefer the 128" version. Just that little stretch to 128" seemed to make a big difference on how that sled handles and hooks up in the trails. The Apexes seem to really work well in the UP of Michigan on the trails if you are a decent size guy. I'm 6'1" and weigh 225 with all my gear on and I didn't seem to have any issues with darting, handling, ride comfort or heavy steering. It seemed setup perfect for me. The addition of power steering to the Apexes and Vectors is a nice upgrade but IMO I think the Nytro needs it most. I find them to steer the hardest.

I bet this will be quite a new expierence going from a Vector and a Nytro..into a 2011 Apex 128 in track with PS and 4 cylinders.. 4 cyl and 150 hp = :) I'd never by a 3 cylinder..my wifes got a 2010 RS and it's not even close. Don't care if she gets 20 mpg or not.

Got her home! Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 160

Back