• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

thinking of trying 4 stroke... any suggestions??

01srxmax

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2001 srx 700
Hey guys, i am thinking about getting a 4 stroke this spring. i ride an 01 srx 700 with 136 extension and all my buddies have 4 strokes. my problem is i have a big family so i cant realy afford a new one, so my price range would have to be something used around 5k.. can anyone suggest a decent sled for around this? my buddy is selling a nice 15 arctic cat xf 8000 but hes asking 7k.. i have been looking at the apex's and can get them around here for under 6. woulod these be a good model? and what year is best?

I would consider a nytro- a 2010 or newer.

The 1049 is a fantastic engine and the sled is easy to work on to bring everything up to standards. A arm bushings, drive bearings, skid frame etc. if you are prepared to do the work on the perishable items- don’t fret about an engine with 10-15000 km

Ms

Thank you I will look into those as well!! Im New to 4 strokes so anything helps me get pointed in the right direction

Hey guys, i am thinking about getting a 4 stroke this spring. i ride an 01 srx 700 with 136 extension and all my buddies have 4 strokes. my problem is i have a big family so i cant realy afford a new one, so my price range would have to be something used around 5k.. can anyone suggest a decent sled for around this? my buddy is selling a nice 15 arctic cat xf 8000 but hes asking 7k.. i have been looking at the apex's and can get them around here for under 6. woulod these be a good model? and what year is best?
As far as Apex, just beware that the exhaust can be expensive to fix on the power steering models. If you find one of those with an aftermarket header in place of the exup, that would be good.
The 06-08 apex sometimes have drive axle breaking problems. Aside from that, just look for a clean well maintained one, you can't go wrong. The 09 and 10 apex have an improved drive axle over the earlier models.
The 2012 and up vectors have power steering and fuel injection. Those are nice sleds too, just not the top end speed of an apex, but still nice power.

How’s the power of the apex vs the nytro. Which ones faster

Seeing that you are coming from a SRX 136 I would say get an Apex LTX/Attak.
I came off a modded 2002 Viper 136 to my Attak. Easy transition and you will love the power.
Any sled will have known issues and this site addresses them all.

Seeing that you are coming from a SRX 136 I would say get an Apex LTX/Attak.
I came off a modded 2002 Viper 136 to my Attak. Easy transition and you will love the power.
Any sled will have known issues and this site addresses them all.
Thanks!! I have looked at a few attacks in my area they are really nice. Would you say the apex is better than the nytro?

Apex is faster . No 1 out runs an apex and if they do it's because they spent more then you on there apex . Super charger & 175 skid an still hits 110 . You can't go wrong with a Yamaha 4 stroke and they all have some kind of glitch you'll have to look out for some more then others . Best thing you could do sit on them an figure out witch 1 fits your style of riding ? Are you cursing trails ? If so you'll want good windshield that covers you up so to speak and gas mileage is a plus , 4 holes drink more then 3 holes . You can set the ride up or down to your liking on all of them . So do your research and you'll be a happy man.

Nytro , awesome Engine and fairly easy to work on . I would only get the XTX long track . My brother had short track Nytro and it didn’t ride as good . Very cold sled need higher windshield and hand guards minimum. More of a point and shoot sled ! The steering has weird movement almost too low and far back . The ball joints in the front suspension need to be replaced at some point . With a few add on’s it’s a fun sled .

Apex is more my style . I like the 136” Mono as long as the shock has a dual rate spring . I think the front steers easier and handles the bumps better. It’s more of a sit down sled with old ergonomics. But one snap of the fun flipper and the 4 cylinder screams . Nothing quite like it . It’s a front heavy sled so you need good shocks . Much warmer and with good clutching will smoke a Nytro up top .

Vector , I have two of them . Excellent sleds as long as you get the fuel injection engine. 2010 and up . Same ergo’s as an Apex just a tamer motor . I think for long trips the Vector is the king .

Enjoy

There's a lot of good info on here . You see all kinds of people riding all kinds of sleds . The biggest mistake I see is some guy will put he's wife or kid on his old boon docken sled and no wonder they dislike it and never wants to ride . Long story short if your 5ft 2 and 110 lbs find a machine that fits you . I dosent matter to me what you ride as long as you will go. 25 yrs ago everyone had a sled and used them . Look around now and how many do you see in front yards. DGZRT is spot on with a vector but I'm 6ft 2 and 225 lbs and a vector is my trail running machine solo. If I'm running 2 up and with a woman or kid some what new to sledding it's my Cadillac ( a viking ) heated seats , hand warmers that work in back , cooler in rack , coffee cup holders , it's a sit down machine and enjoy the scenery or haul a load of lumber to build a house . and still hits 70 , you'll have no friends when it's stuck by the way , all of my sleds have long tracks but I spend most of my time out west and AK , I've been back in the north east and they ride on really nice well groomed trails and 155 skid is a long track, shortest track I run is a 155 under phazers. The best part about Yamaha is you can wrench on them yourself or there's a dealer and probably not to far away and you'll always find your parts and have them in a couple of days . I'll say it this way if a used sled is ruff on the outside it's twice as ugly under the hood . But what do I know as I write this I have the painted lady in my shop

What do you want or like in a sled? What type of riding do you do? Do you like to wrench and upgrade things or ride all stock?
I am looking for something that I can hang with my buddies they Al ride the newer 4 stroke sleds and the srx I ride is no slouch by any means but the price of fuel and oil is getting high and I’d like to get something that I can ride longer or stop less. The srx is my old school dream sled, il probably keep it as an ice rig but I want something comfy for the trails.

I am looking for something that I can hang with my buddies they Al ride the newer 4 stroke sleds and the srx I ride is no slouch by any means but the price of fuel and oil is getting high and I’d like to get something that I can ride longer or stop less. The srx is my old school dream sled, il probably keep it as an ice rig but I want something comfy for the trails.
2010 or newer Vector with Fuel Injection is what I would look for then. Longest track you can find. Wil zip to 90mph as fast as anything but then peter out, Apex if you want more triple digit speeds and less mpg. This is where the deltabox chassis excels.

I agree with a lot of posters.

IMO:
First choice would be an Apex 136" track 2008 - 2010 as they had some major upgrades over the earlier ones
The 2010 is most desireable , but very hard to find, as it has all the upgrades Yamaha did on the Apexs pre 2011 and up power steering and exub models

Very close second would be a 144" track Nytro
Look for the lowest mileage sled you can find and stay away from carbureted sleds.

JM.02c

I can add I have a 2017 #*$&@ Doo 1200 X and as far as drag racing my Vectors it’s a toss up but most of the time the 1200 comes out on top . Totally depends on traction. My 1200 is completely stock and the Vectors have Ulmers clutch kits .
As far as handling the Ski Doo holds the edge in the really beat up rough sections . On smooth trails My vectors hold their own but have Hygear rebuilt shocks with dual rate springs all the way around . The only noticeable difference is the weight . The 1200 with the 129” track is only 520 # my Vector LTX is about 100# heavier .
The Apex will be more fun if setup correctly and will take any stock 1200 . A modified 1200 is about the same .

Good luck in your hunt for your next sled . I will add once you experience the torque of the 4 stroke you may never go back .

Back