• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Got my squeeling starter apart w/pics help w brushes ect.

Ak Yammy

Expert
Ok so last year my starter began making a squeal when turning over and when shut off I sometimes could hear a short little half a squeak. Finally got it apart to see if any thing looked all tornup or if the brushes looked worn. They look fine to me but maybe I am missing something. Also is the shaft supposed to to come complety out from where it goes inside the windings? It will move a bit and then get caught and not come all of the way out. Also I just put my finger in the starter hole and noticed the clutch gear has some slop in it and it will turn freely backwards but not forwards. Is this normal? Am wondering if the problem lies just in the starter clutch which I may not tackle myself as I have no flywheel puller.

Thanks in advance and let my know if anything sounds or looks weird.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 102

Was able to wiggle shaft out. Not sure if you can see in pics many scratches in center enough that groves that the magneto uses to bite the shaft are worn down. Pieces of puzzle are coming together I think my starter clutch is fine but at some point I had (have) a stuck relay or faulty key switch that spun the starter and wore out the shaft. :o|

I think I may try and grind the grooves back out just for giggles. I'm not sure why Yummy said to do this and then fill in the grooves with JB weld. You don want the shaft attatched to the Mangneto do you? Yummy you're not still out there are you?

Also guys from what I described in my first post does it sound like my starter clutch is OK?

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 97
Re: Got my squeeling starter apart w/pics help w brushes ect

Ak Yammy said:
Also I just put my finger in the starter hole and noticed the clutch gear has some slop in it and it will turn freely backwards but not forwards.

The starter clutch has a one way locking bearing in it, so yes, it will turn freely one way but not the other.

steve 05 RX-1 said:
What keeps the armature from spinning on the shaft? Ive never had mine apart but it shouldnt spin on there at all. Should have a keyway or press fit... something.
Ah ha this is what I could not figure out on the Yummy post when he said he JB welded the thing together. Shaft has grooves running along it but it must be press fit also.
Not sure if I want to go that route as I ride alone sometimes and walking out of the Alaskan wilderness is not fun. Done it and don't want to do it again.
New starter $439!!! :die

Found a used Fleabay for $150.00 and I'll check the classifides here.

Srxspec thanks for the info on the clutch it seems to be fine.

I do wish I could just order up that armature would be much cheaper. :o|

After talking to some shops today found out that is supposed to be a tight press fit and JB welding it back in will probably work but if the weld comes loose you are done.
So I just bit the bullet and ordered a new starter, not worth a no start out in the middle of nowhere by myself. :o|

Thanks to all for the help. :Rockon:

I wouldnt trust JB weld on that part but there is permanent loctite that would hold pretty decent. It takes ALOT of heat to get it back apart. ......... Im with you though, the starter is pretty darn important on these sleds !

look on parts fich i thought you could order all parts seperate.

Brush kit is about all you can order for starter guts.

By the time I pay UPS shipping up here from Port not so cheap.

Already ordered from local dealer.

Already bought and installed no more squeeky!! :Rockon:
Also Rock starter saver installed Rock thank you much you are the man.

Back