• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grabby clutch?

Outlander

Veteran
Hi, I've got about 60 miles on the XTX and it seems that the power engagement has changed from a stop. I slowly build up the revs and the clutch grabs around 4200-4600 RPMs. That seems a bit high and now when I stop I often notice smoke coming out from under the hood and a burnt rubber smell.

Does it sound like I'm about to lose my belt? Any other ideas?

rubber smell.

Shouldn't be a belt problem. Take off the cover and look at your belt. Check your oil occasionally. Especially after oil changes. New sleds smell like oil burning or something anyways. They get extra hot because they are new. Its best to not trying to engage the clutches slow except to only see where your engagement rpm is for drag racing or getting the hole shot. Other than that jab the throttle to quickly engage the clutches and then slowly pull away. It is hard on belts to slowly engage the clutch. I don't like leaving my sled idle longer than for the lights to go out and maybe 2 more minutes if I'm getting my helmut on etc. Then I drive at lower revs for a minute then I feel its warm enough for full throttle. I use synthetic oil after the first change. I grease my sled after every 500 miles and only change oil after the season.

Back