• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GSE Power Steering in a 2020 Viper!!

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
My good friend @craiger68 bought a 2020 Viper for his wife and asked me to install GSE Power Steering Kit for him. I said sure why the hell not!! I just wanted to stress the fact how easy of a job it is and anyone that is afraid to do it should not be... its a cake walk!!

I am going to give a quick over view with some pictures and if you want to see the full instructions <Click Here>

Remove Seat, Side Panels and Hood:
IMG_2571.JPEG
IMG_2572.JPEG

Here is the kit in a nut shell:
IMG_2573.JPEG

Remove Air Box:

IMG_2590.JPEG

Remove Handle Bars and roll them back onto the tank:

IMG_2591.JPEG

Remove the push pins that hold the left side steering boot on, remove the nut on lower tie rod from steering post, remove the steering post base nut (access from underside by boot), remove the 2 nuts that hold steering post retainer and lift out the steering post.

IMG_2592.JPEG
IMG_2593.JPEG

Install new steering stub shaft and bolt as noted in instructions and bolt short tie rod back on.

IMG_2594.JPEG

Remove engine mount bolt nuts only as directed, slide motor on per instructions, drop in power steering mount as noted and bolt in place.

IMG_2595.JPEG
IMG_2596.JPEG

Install top portion of steering shaft as noted in directions and reinstall retainer.

IMG_2597.JPEG
IMG_2598.JPEG

Reinstall the handle bars:

IMG_2600.JPEG

Install the power steering control unit on the power steering bracket and plug in all the wires. They only go in one way.

IMG_2601.JPEG

Route and zip tie power along the harness on the clutch side and tie into the battery as noted.

IMG_2602.JPEG

Here is something to take note: the instructions say to tap into an orange wire on the clutch side harness as pictured in the PDF instructions. We could not find this wire. So after a quick call to GSE we found out it needs to be tied into a keyed 12V source. The red wire with blue tracer is a 12V regulated source that's the same as the accessory by the reverse motor. You will find this wire on the bottom side of the main plug that goes to the hood.

IMG_2609.JPEG
IMG_2610.JPEG

Here she is all complete. Be sure to read all the instructions carefully and follow them as noted. Be sure to double check all connections and fasteners.

IMG_2611.jpeg

@GSE Performance

Are those the stock ski?

I can’t wait to hear your review after riding it. My mother has a Viper and had shoulder surgery recently. I think this might be a perfect addition to her sled.

Are those the stock ski?.........thats what you got from all of this lol. And no, not stock skis.
I have an MPI kit installed on my 14 RTX and I do not think I could shoe-horn the power steering kit in there but I did notice the single keel on the ski. Nice job on the photos. Do you have a photo of the kit installed before the hood was put back on? Looks like a well built kit.

I have an MPI kit installed on my 14 RTX and I do not think I could shoe-horn the power steering kit in there but I did notice the single keel on the ski. Nice job on the photos. Do you have a photo of the kit installed before the hood was put back on? Looks like a well built kit.

it sits well bellow the crossover bar if that helps. Should be able to see that from the images that are posted.

All I noticed was the Casters on one of the tool chest were turned out and are a tripping hazard :) and the rollers on your Garage door look like they need Lube !

Excellent write up and Great pictures ! I look forward to hearing the feed back on this kit and the new sled ..... :yam:

Great work Tom, awesome install should work beautifully

After all of that and no one noticed the chassis diagram taped to the inside of the lid of the stainless tool chest on picture #1. Come on boys pay attention. It looks similar to the upgrades I made to the 2011 Pro R - then it blew up I believe it was too much cylinder pressure.
Nicole reshetar Low rez-12.jpg

After all of that and no one noticed the chassis diagram taped to the inside of the lid of the stainless tool chest on picture #1. Come on boys pay attention. It looks similar to the upgrades I made to the 2011 Pro R - then it blew up I believe it was too much cylinder pressure.View attachment 150437

Right on!! Amateurs.

Tom, any feedback on how well this after market power steering is working?

Back