• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handle Bar Vibrations

SideHogger

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Ltx-Le Sidewinder
Has anyone else noticed on long rides my hands go a little numb from handle bar vibration. Done this since new. Owned 5 years now and wanted to see if anyone else has this and see if there is a fix. I just put some rubber grommets between bolt and nut on handle bar mount to see if I can quell some of it but looks like season is going to be over soon and leaving for Florida tomorrow.

hi i put the yamaha performance damping shocks on the sled i have them on my apex that where i found it work i have nerv danage in arms and hands even my brother in did the same thing we put the kit on his viper because he was having the same problem . some people will thing im full of it but it works.

I fill my bars with silicon. Every sled I owned for 20 years I did it on them. Does it help? In my mind it does? Lol

Has anyone else noticed on long rides my hands go a little numb from handle bar vibration. Done this since new. Owned 5 years now and wanted to see if anyone else has this and see if there is a fix. I just put some rubber grommets between bolt and nut on handle bar mount to see if I can quell some of it but looks like season is going to be over soon and leaving for Florida tomorrow.
Yes the vibration you are referring too is what yamaha engineers worked very hard to eliminate while designing the 998 three cylinder motor . This remaining vibration is cause from a 60 degrees dead area duration in the crankshaft rotation on all three cylinder's … This tranfers from motor thur chassis to the handle bars and into your hands.. The Yamaha performance Damping shocks talked about were built to control chassis vibrations …Power steering on the newer models also a good option to eliminate it.. Silicone is a new one, but no reason why that would not help and work also.. Mounting the bars in hard rubber also works .. Grips also can help with certain designs that are thicker and softer used by race teams… What ever the fix, if it stops the soreness, mission accomplished and much more enjoyable…

Huh? This is new to me!
Not since the days of Big Twins with their visibly vibrating handlebars have I heard this.

I’ve been in this situatIon with many things that I do, sleds, bikes, cars, etc. It has to do with age and lack of circulation for me and not vibrating handlebars though.

Dropping an arm by the side for a bit, has been the way to curb this sensation. Have learned from watching others many years ago on long bike rides! But yeah I can imagine anyone having issues with arm elevation if they had prior damage and still young! If your older like me, it happens...

Huh? This is new to me!
Not since the days of Big Twins with their visibly vibrating handlebars have I heard this.

I’ve been in this situatIon with many things that I do, sleds, bikes, cars, etc. It has to do with age and lack of circulation for me and not vibrating handlebars though.

Dropping an arm by the side for a bit, has been the way to curb this sensation. Have learned from watching others many years ago on long bike rides! But yeah I can imagine anyone having issues with arm elevation if they had prior damage and still young! If your older like me, it happens...
Them big twins were like a paint shaker….. I still own and ride a 2006 Apex and 2017 Sidewinder ltx le … The four cylinder Apex motor should be Webster’s definition of trued , balance, smooth, and no vibrations. The 998 three cylinder hums at different RPM’s mostly lower then gets smoother .. When you have both, and you ride both , well you don’t think they came out with Power steering for the younger kids do you??? I can only go by my experiences and looking to reduce vibrations on the winder for next winter, stop sore fingers and replace with sore arms from so real arm stretching acceleration…

Time to see a doctor ,it’s old joints, my feet get numb but it’s not from the running boards.

Huh? This is new to me!

Ok....more of a buzz than vibration. And I agree, Apex smooth as silk and age thing is probably another reason. Lol

Someone reported clutch out of balance caused a vibration in the handlebars like what you described.

Them big twins were like a paint shaker….. I still own and ride a 2006 Apex and 2017 Sidewinder ltx le … The four cylinder Apex motor should be Webster’s definition of trued , balance, smooth, and no vibrations. The 998 three cylinder hums at different RPM’s mostly lower then gets smoother .. When you have both, and you ride both , well you don’t think they came out with Power steering for the younger kids do you??? I can only go by my experiences and looking to reduce vibrations on the winder for next winter, stop sore fingers and replace with sore arms from so real arm stretching acceleration…
Yes two very different sleds. I’ve owned RX1 and an Attack. Have been on my 17 Winder since new, and just recently we bought my wife a 2012 Vector with power steering(Only 2K mileage and it looks showroom). So yes I do agree with your comments.
Ever find yourself sliding off the Apex after riding your Winder? Funny how different the two are, seat wise also.
Apex or Vector you need to lock in your feet to keep from sliding off the seat in a corner, while the Winder higher seat position keeps you straight in the seat because of inner thighs/legs naturally hold you there!

Every time I swap and get on that old chassis, that first curve reminds me to lock in my feet!

I still have to let an arm fall every now and then, to reclaim my hands circulation, no matter what I ride!

As far as arm stretch and shoulder pull, Ha Ha, no complaints here, the more the better!

Yes two very different sleds. I’ve owned RX1 and an Attack. Have been on my 17 Winder since new, and just recently we bought my wife a 2012 Vector with power steering(Only 2K mileage and it looks showroom). So yes I do agree with your comments.
Ever find yourself sliding off the Apex after riding your Winder? Funny how different the two are, seat wise also.
Apex or Vector you need to lock in your feet to keep from sliding off the seat in a corner, while the Winder higher seat position keeps you straight in the seat because of inner thighs/legs naturally hold you there!

Every time I swap and get on that old chassis, that first curve reminds me to lock in my feet!

I still have to let an arm fall every now and then, to reclaim my hands circulation, no matter what I ride!

As far as arm stretch and shoulder pull, Ha Ha, no complaints here, the more the better!
Yes they are totally different sleds you are so right.. And yes the sidewinder sits so much higher compared to Apex and still handles really good… See my write up on Dynamic Ride Height in a recent thread 2017 Ltx Le something can’t remember actual title… It talks about suspension set up on this chassis..I always hook my feet on the Apex so funny… Good trail cruiser and motor is just amazing .. I get like 160 miles to the tank on the heavy weight due to a couple of wheel kits with a bit oversize doo wheels .. My ex wife also rhode a Vector 137 and that was a good sled also…. Ya the mid 2000 were well built sleds and hats off to Yamaha….

Back