• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handlebar replacement

nytrozula

Expert
I bent the hell out of my handlebars this weekend attempting to clear a 20 ft gap off the trail. What is involved in replacing the handlebars? Would it be bet if I found a set with the grips on it already?

Mine are bent also along with the steering gate.. I'm ordering new bars grips and heat elements. The grips and elements are original and after 7000 miles the grips are showing significant wear so they're due for replacement anyways. Is there something better than the OEM grips and elements for the hooked bars?

I changed to the fly bars with 4" risers and pad this year. I also did rsi high output heaters with Odi grips.. Much better for me than the stock config.

Fly bars and risers are good as well. I have the six inch fly riser and bar pad on my viper.

RSI Sells the ODI grips. I have them and the comfort is great. In fact I liked them so much I put them in my rancher too. Only thing is they are softer so they will show wear sooner. I put 2000 miles on the atv and they could be replaced. The ones on the Nytro are lasting longer though. I put doo XRS flat bars on my sled with a 5in riser. The pic is just to the left.

if your on a budget you can re use the oem grips. i replaced my bars with pro tapers and used the stockers. if you do it, drill out the two rivets on each grip, use a razor blade and start at the hook and slowly peel the grip back making sure not to cut into the heater. then use the blade to cut the foam under the grip and peel it back while cutting the remainder of the foam. its pretty easy to do with a sharp blade. then just use grip glue or super 88 tape to put them on whatever bar you choose.

grizztracks said:
Mine are bent also along with the steering gate.. I'm ordering new bars grips and heat elements. The grips and elements are original and after 7000 miles the grips are showing significant wear so they're due for replacement anyways. Is there something better than the OEM grips and elements for the hooked bars?

Grizz where exactly is the steering gate located? I upset mine on a washout last weekend(last ride for the season) it landed on its side but suspect hit hard on the left hand side of the bars now when going straight the skis are ok but the bars are pointed to the right,but when its stopped and I put my bars straight they don't looked to be bent,in all my years of sledding I have never encountered this.

RSI chromoly bars are the best IMO. They're $35 and when you throw in elements and ODI grips your only talking $100 total.

nbsledder, make sure you don't have a bent tie rod, spindle, a-arm or frame. The upper steering post is supported by the gate. The bushing support bent and a couple welds broke near the loop.

Any 7/8" bar will work. Skinz, fly, rsi, pro taper all make nice bars. I'd try to save the grip elements or order new. I was able to salvage my elements earlier this winter, but the left crapped out on the first ride.

Back