• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HANDWARMERS

Topgun

Expert
For some of you with cold hands I can assure you these old 06 Apex bars and warmers work. It was -27 Celcious ( -47 windchill) here in Saskatchwan today.
My sled with the warmers at half was more then sufficiant to keep the hands toasty. My friend on his MTX with no handguards also runs the apex bars and warmers and was jarred at how warm his hands were.
Now if I could keep the rest of my body that warm I'd be happy . The jewels were alittle frost bitten today.
Another thing , this year I put the sno eliminator running boards in, they work great. Awesome product.

I second that! I put the 06 apex bars on my XTX and I have nice toasty hands. The Apex bars have a better feel too in my opinion Plugs are the same. Why doesn't yamaha step up and cover this for us?

Does anyone have pix of the 06' bars? Do You need to buy the 06' bars and 06'handwarmers aswell?

A friend of mine works for a yamaha dealer in town here and that dealer sent there mechanic somewhere for updated training or sumthing, well he was talking to there mech that is still there he mentioned that my sled has terrible handwarmers. I guess the mech mentioned it to someone at the "school" and he was told they know about the warmers but that's all he said. There was nothing about a fix coming so i guess so who knows just how long till Yamaha steps up and does somthing about our "bars".

For those who have hand guards, I found that it helps to adjust/re-position the hand guard for better protection. I lowered mine down slightly, and re-bent the aluminum mounts so they sit a little closer to the bar. But not so close that they're in the way.
But yeah, I agree the warmers need to be better. 30 years of beating the crap out of my hands with impact tools. The old hands don't work as well as they use to. I need to keep the digits toasty for them to work right!
Unless Yamaha comes out with some sort of an update.
I'm probably going to try some of the other fixes suggested by fellow TYer's in the other hand warmer threads.

For those that put on the 06 Apex bars were they the original bars or the updated bars?

Heres some info from the 2009 service manual. Hope this helps someone. I'll try and find the other threads and also post this info.

elec-2.jpg

elec-1.jpg

apexer said:
For those that put on the 06 Apex bars were they the original bars or the updated bars?
They are the original, but to tell you the truth the updated bars would probably be better.
The 06 bars apex are pretty well the same shape as the Nytro but 1 inch less in height. I put a riser on anyways so that didn't matter to me. Also the heating element does not extend into the hook which also helps.
As far as anything technical, they just plug in , thats all. HOT GRIPS

06 original bars on my 08 RTX Nytro = HEAT!!
Now this sled will be much more fun to ride.

Other bars I think were 07 update ones that came with the additional wiring piece.I got them in late fall 07 when it came out.
Grips appear to be the same on both the 08 Nytro and the 07 update bars.
Bar shape/rise is a little different.

Take the 06 bars ONLY.

Unplug left and right bar warmer connectors on 08 sled.

Plug in left and right 06 bar warmer connectors.
Then enjoy heat.

NO OTHER WIRING needed.

I've grinded the nub off my 06 bar ends so now I can rotate them and then tighten the hook to a more comfortable angle.

I tried a test with one 06 grip hooked up and had alot of heat in about a minute while the 08 side was cold as an icecube as usual.This was at idle.

I've had a ton of emails asking about harm to the ecu. A few of us are going into the second year with them with no issue ( not saying there won't be) . I got the idea from a dealer in Alberta who had been installing these on their personal sleds along with their friends sleds with no issues to date. As I recall there was also someone else on TY here last year that had been one of the first to try it.
Nice easy fix for someone that isn't extremly mechanical. Unbolt the old bars, unplug the connections and put the new ones on. Simply done.

Actually, the hot set up was the '06 bars with the '07 sub-wiring harness off the '07 bars. Changes the wiring from "in series" to "Parallel" resulting in more heat.

Exactly! The Nytro is already in Parallel, You don't need the harness, so plug in the orginal 06 Apex bars and enjoy the heat. The 09 XTX grips measure about 7 Ohms and the 06 grips are about 3 Ohms.

Back