• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help trouble shooting

asmerch204

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 VL slowly turning into a MP
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on here? I went to start the sled yesterday and it wouldn't fire? I started it about once every month or so through out the summer/fall, each time firing and starting great. I had stabilized the fuel and changed oil/filter in spring. It turned over well (could hear the fuel pump every time) and after about 15 cranks I could start smelling fuel but it wouldn't fire. I tried it again several times until I finally wore the battery out. So I grabbed the battery out of the quad to try one more time and stupid me, I somehow crossed polarity frying the 40A fuse! Duh, not sure how I did that! Also to make matters more interesting the sled is out at my remote cabin which is 25km from the closest road. It was -30c the two nights prior so I thought maybe a frozen fuel line? Or something causing no spark? I'm new to fourstroke sleds so I'm not to sure where to start? Going to head out there with again with fully charged battery, 40A fuse, new plugs, gasline anitfreeze, and a tiger torch to try heating it up. Any other suggestions? Also I the temp was about -18c when I was trying and I believe I have the updated ecu. Thanks

You didn't mention the year of your sled. 2007 and some 2008 had cold weather (>-25C) starting issues and Yamaha issued an updated ECU. That extended warranty has since expired and a new ECU would be on your dime (lots of dimes!). I would also suggest bringing a container of fresh 91 octane gas (not Petro-Canada to avoid ethanol) and an empty container to drain the old fuel. Even if you used stabilizer, if you used gas with ethanol, it could have absorbed moisture from the air. Since you smelled fuel during your last attempt, you likely did flood it and fouled the plugs so I would change them before trying anything. They could have fouled during your summer startups if you didn't let it warm up completely and the idle drop to normal (i.e. it ran only in "choke" mode).

When I start it without actually riding it, I let it run until the fan comes on to ensure the plugs are clean.

You didn't mention the year of your sled. 2007 and some 2008 had cold weather (>-25C) starting issues and Yamaha issued an updated ECU. That extended warranty has since expired and a new ECU would be on your dime (lots of dimes!). I would also suggest bringing a container of fresh 91 octane gas (not Petro-Canada to avoid ethanol) and an empty container to drain the old fuel. Even if you used stabilizer, if you used gas with ethanol, it could have absorbed moisture from the air. Since you smelled fuel during your last attempt, you likely did flood it and fouled the plugs so I would change them before trying anything. They could have fouled during your summer startups if you didn't let it warm up completely and the idle drop to normal (i.e. it ran only in "choke" mode).

When I start it without actually riding it, I let it run until the fan comes on to ensure the plugs are clean.

Its an '08 and I'm pretty sure it has the updated ecu. I remember looking into that when I bought it in February and seeing the updated part number on it. I always run premium in it and also idled it til the fan came on too. I guess I will do the plugs and try again. Depending on the weather, I think I'll heat it up to thaw any frozen fuel lines. How big of a pain is it to change the plugs?

Its an '08 and I'm pretty sure it has the updated ecu. I remember looking into that when I bought it in February and seeing the updated part number on it. I always run premium in it and also idled it til the fan came on too. I guess I will do the plugs and try again. Depending on the weather, I think I'll heat it up to thaw any frozen fuel lines. How big of a pain is it to change the plugs?

I just a similar post in the Phazer section, I guess I'll siphon the gas out and try again.

Oh, just have to remove the seat and gas tank. While you're there, check your exhaust donuts. I'll bet they're fried. Recommend copper donuts than the stock ones.

Another thing I just thought of. If you flooded it really bad, bring oil to do an oil change as gas may have contaminated the oil making the mixture rich and diluting the oil. I remember that happening on my old Corsica, LOL!

Some of the atv batteries have reversed posts. Hit that a few times on my bike with aftermarket battery.

A tarp or drag it up behind the camp for a wind break would not hurt a bit either.

Back