• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Here's my new Idlers with pictures

On a side note: I just installed the ULMER anti-rub kit. Took 10 mins to install. Great idea, as my mono shock is getting pretty worn down!!![/quote]

WOW! samething! I just install the antirub kit too! and the shock were pretty worn down! How much mileage on your sled?

ricerocket said:
Shivesy, can you update how your wheel setup did this season? miles again etc? RR

No problem: I was only able to put on about 2,000 miles this year and the wheels did just fine. My first trip to Maine I put on around 8-or 900 miles and after that trip I did inspect the wheels. I found that 2 bearings on the RS Venture and 1 bearing on the Apex were not moving freely so I replaced those bearings. I carry an extra replaceable bearing on each sled incase one of the installed bearings locks up. I believe that the wheels now have about 3,800 miles on them and seem to be in great shape. I will leave my slides on again for next year and the rails are in good shape so far for both machines. I do have 3,800 miles on the SLP pads that are installed on the tracks and plan on changing them out for the first time next year.
I have noticed that Dennis Kirk no longer carries the exact wheel that I purchased from them which are the ones in my photos. (DK part# 04251) During the time that I first started this article you could just click on the Dennis Kirk name in the first article and that gray wheel would pop up. Then we could click underneath that picture of the wheel and different colors along with the fan style wheel would pop-up. That no longer happens. I just called Dennis Kirk to confirm the part # and the operator stated those black fan wheels are discontinued.
I beleive that the 135mm (5.35") wheels and SLP pads along with new slides make a long lasting upgrade to these sleds.

I had thos kimplex wheels on my viper and destroyed them in 400miles.. NO WARRANTY.. they went flat at the holes.. looked like little stop signs

welterracer said:
I had thos kimplex wheels on my viper and destroyed them in 400miles.. NO WARRANTY.. they went flat at the holes.. looked like little stop signs
I have the blue Kimpex wheels on my Viper, 6,800 miles on them and they still look new and roll like new off course i ride on snow,alot of it.

I run YAM'S with 6205 bearings with no issues, no DELAMINATING what so ever, the only thing you have to do is to machine the 2 inner rear MOUNTS its well worth it, on my RX1 '05 I put 12.000kms on them and my '08 I've got 6200kms...here are some pics...

Attachments

• CIMG0033.JPG
    CIMG0033.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 293
This is funny here where I lived when they build my Apex LTX they put the two back idler wheel outside like the front ones.

I am going to replace my original idler wheels that have non replaceable bearings (one of which that has delaminated) with something that has replaceable bearings and that will not delaminate.

I have seen in recent posts two different idler wheels with replaceable bearings. The SMA-8EK38-01-XX pictured above and the SMA-8FP38-01-XX shown in another thread yesterday.

Besides the cosmetic difference (solid vs spoked) it looks like one uses a 6205 bearing and the other one uses a 6005 bearing? Is this correct? If so, isn't there a width difference? Is there a difference between the inner and outer wheels? Which one of these (or something different) is the best choice for my '07 Apex?

87gtNOS said:
I used the EXACT same wheels that Shivesy used and now have over 2300miles on mine...still perfect!!
87gtNOS said:
My two inner wheels are the plastic RX1 wheels. They too have lasted since I put on the Kimpex outers. however, they are each chamfered!!

On a side note: I just installed the ULMER anti-rub kit. Took 10 mins to install. Great idea, as my mono shock is getting pretty worn down!!!

Here's my update....now at 3700 miles...and the outside wheels like in the first post are like brand new still.
HOWEVER, my 2 center plastic RX1 wheels are all mashed to smithereens!! I will post pics in a couple weeks!

so if a guy was to put larger wheel or the relocator kit from pioneer he would be good? or both lol

Wow, I was surprised to see that someone revived this old thread from 2008. Well since we are back on the subject, here is my update. In December of 2008 I replaced all six of my 130 mm wheels with the Yamaha aftermarket p/n SMA-8FP38-01-BK as shown in the pictures below.

Now just over three years and 5000 miles later I had to replace one of the inner wheels because of rubber delamination (most likely from rolling over stud heads) and a few wheel bearings that sounded a little rough. I would certainly recommend these wheels to anyone thinking about replacing their stock wheels because of their durability and the fact that the bearings are replaceable.

IMO the larger diameter wheels and the wheel lowering kits are really not necessary. When the hyfax are new they will wear very rapidly to a certain point. After reaching that certain point they will wear much slower and they will last much longer than most people will ever know since they change them much too soon.

Attachments

• DSC01129.JPG
    DSC01129.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC01127.JPG
    DSC01127.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 271
I have had Yamaha sleds since 1998 and have change slides maybe 8 to 10 times on 3 diff sleds. I like to run my track real loose and as even as possible. It's worked so far. I hate to change out slides.

Is this suspension totally different than a'10 RS Venture. After reading many ideas on this site, it sounds to me like the larger wheels keep the track from riding on the slides. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the slides? We may as well go back to bogey suspensions.

oldguy2 said:
Is this suspension totally different than a'10 RS Venture. After reading many ideas on this site, it sounds to me like the larger wheels keep the track from riding on the slides. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the slides? We may as well go back to bogey suspensions.

I agree 100%. New slides will always wear to a certain point and then stay at that point for a long time. Larger wheels or lowered wheels just change slightly where that point is. I guess that some people feel that they need this greater "safety factor" and peace of mind.

Back