• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How bad is this subframe bent?

Massrider33

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 Nytro RTX
I was playing in a field with some other guys and came over a hill, landed, and grabbed a fallen tree that was under the snow. I broke the spindle in half and I think I tweaked the subframe. The sled is an 08 Nytro Rtx. It looks like it moved about 1/2 inch in the pictures. Can I fix it or am I better off buying a new subframe?

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_165237740.jpg
    IMG_20150218_165237740.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20150218_165212988.jpg
    IMG_20150218_165212988.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 413

Snapped a spindle and that's all it moved!?!?!?! Wow!

IMO I'd use a prybar to bend it back and weld in a gusset kit and never worry about it again.

Oh thank God! Here's the spindle. It was absolute dumb luck I guess. I'll pay for a spindle any day over a new subframe. Thanks man!

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_172650266.jpg
    IMG_20150218_172650266.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 394
I wouldn't worry too much about that, most nytro's will look similar to that if you look around he used aled market.

That's interesting. I rode it eight miles back to the trailer with the spindle duct taped together. That was interesting. I will probably fix it and gusset it when I get my oilite bushings in because it will basically be all apart

Is that a 2008 frame or has it been replaced with a newer frame? Did it shear the ball joint bolt?

being that it's a 2008 you should check to see if it buckled the lower frame tube near the front rivet that holds the steering boot on.

I'll have the frame out tomorrow and will see if it's buckled. What is the concern with it being buckled? Can it be fixed?

If it's buckled there is no good way to correct it and it's one of the main support tubes. Typically the 08 frame will also be out of square which is difficult to repair. I've ran across a couple 2008 frames that should have been replaced but the owners wanted to correct as much as possible and then weld in gussets so it didn't get any worse. If you can recenter the shock in the upper a-arm with a pry bar and the ski tips aren't staggered it should be good enough to reinforce and keep running.

Ok so if its buckled I'm probably better off getting a new frame than trying to get a already weak frame back to square?

I would get a new frame. Put Grizz gussets in then install. You would have to total the sled to bend it then. I was able to get the subframe on my 11 pretty close but in hindsight I wish I had just put a new gusseted frame in. Then it would be perfect

SteelerJim you're like me I have to have stuff perfect. I still have to get a look at it and see how bad it is

Back