• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to change hand warmer element

If you have stock bars woth stock grips and warmers..its just as well to cut them off.
With other grips i use a air compressor with the blow gun or ball inflater and stick it in the end and it comes right off

If you have stock bars woth stock grips and warmers..its just as well to cut them off.
With other grips i use a air compressor with the blow gun or ball inflater and stick it in the end and it comes right off

I agree with above, if you have stock grips just cut it off and replace with new. As far as the element goes, I usually heat them up with a heat gun and peel them off. Clean up the bar with some contact or carb cleaner and stick on the new element. Since you have it apart for some added insulation fill your bars with some expandable foam if you want.

I was able to reuse my stock grips but it was a huge pain. I had a heat gun and wd-40 and burnt my hands etc etc, and it tore a little in one spot - basically i should have just got a new grip haha.

I purchased grips and elements from rsiracing.net. To get the old ones off (if they are factory) can be difficult. If they are already rsi grips then you can just roll up the open and and get an air spot on an air compressor under it and blow some air and it should slid right off the bars. Then you take the old element off, connect the new one with the directions given, and then attach to the handle bars. I place a small piece of tape on the bottom to help it stick on the edges. Then you apply the grip glue to the grips and slide on as far as you can. Once you are far as you can get it, place your hand around the open end and then with rsi grips there is a small hole on the closed end. Put the air nozzle up to that hole and close off the end and the grip should balloon out and can slide on like butter. I thought it was a big job but it was rather easy. I also think these rsi grips are warm enough as my hands burn and do not get cold easily.

I can't believe you guys had trouble removing the stock grip. I drilled out the 2 rivets, put a little heat to grip with a heat gun, and it slid right off. Peeled off the old element (painful), stuck the new element on and heated the old grip and slid it on. Slicker than pockets in your underwear eh.

That's my problem, I didnt have pockets in my underwear! I had difficulty getting them to expand even right after the element went to heck and the grips were still warm. I also did it in a warm shop. I would recommend trying to save the stock grips because to me, they are a cleaner finish then the RSI Grips, but if you cannot then the RSI will do just fine.

Back