• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How's the backcountry perform on way to backcountry?

dfroster

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Arctic Cat Thundercat EPS
Looking at an XTX with backcountry. I ride groomed trails mainly but would definately do some off trail. Maybe 80% trails, roads, rail bed, ect.
Like the idea of major hook up and accelleration on trails.

But, what are the pros and cons for on-trail riding with this set up?

Anyone with this set up that does a fair share of trail riding please comment. Thanks!

I just put a backcountry on my XTX this summer. Only have one ride on it so far, I noticed on hard pack I get more vibration through the running boards, but off-trail the sled seems to effortlessly go through the snow. Powderhound skis help with keeping it on top a lot as well.

The finance manager at my local dealership rode an XTX with a backcountry last season and he said it was UNSTOPPABLE in the powder, said it turned the XTX into a true crossover machine. He convinced me, now I have a new spring time project.

i have a 1.75 back country on my shorty and noticed its a little tougher to turn, i would consider studding the track you have if you mainly do trails and roads. In the deep its a whole different and better sled now without question but I don't do trails.

The back country hooks up great on and off trail. The track is awesome on and off trail. I don't notice any vibration on the trail either. Put this track on and you will love it.

snownutz said:
The back country hooks up great on and off trail. The track is awesome on and off trail. I don't notice any vibration on the trail either. Put this track on and you will love it.

x2. The only drawback is that it's too tall too stud. But i love mine.

This track should come stock on the sled, best thing I did every, I paid less for my track than some guys have spent on studs, second best thing I've done!

I have 200 miles on so far in very marginal snow and with the excell wheels I have almost no wear to speak of yet, VERY HAPPY! Also should have come stock on the sled, silly Yamaha! :moon:

northof60 said:
don't forget if u put it on u need to remove the front tunnel protectors and they need to be cut or grinded off.

Don't do that! That will make it near impossible to put back on a stock studded track. Notch the track, don't cut off the protectors.

After%252520the%252520storm%252520005.JPG

P1010113.JPG

I have it on both Nytro's. I have only ridden the 121". I love it. On trail it was very good, off trail, almost impossible to stop. I really enjoy this track. Have not ridden the 136" because lack of snow, but I will report back when I do.

dfroster said:
Looking at an XTX with backcountry. I ride groomed trails mainly but would definately do some off trail. Maybe 80% trails, roads, rail bed, ect.
Like the idea of major hook up and accelleration on trails.

But, what are the pros and cons for on-trail riding with this set up?

Anyone with this set up that does a fair share of trail riding please comment. Thanks!

I've been running 1.75 tracks for about 7 years now and I can tell you the biggest con is wear. You can put a million miles on a rip saw but a 1.75 track will need replaced in half the time (if you are lucky). Another con is slider wear. Although not real bad, slider wear is increased in low snow as you are that much further away from the snow.

The hook-up and traction on trail is limited to good snow. If there is a good packing of snow on the trail then nothing is better then a 1.75 lug. If you ride trails that often have icy corners, I'd stay away from bigger lugs.

As for pros I've never noticed vibration from a 1.75. 2" seems to be where the vibrations start to become noticeable. ....and of course the sled is awesome off trail and in the ditches. A set of fat skis and a 1.75 track and the Nytro becomes a very effective backcountry machine.

If you decide the BC might be a bit much for the amount of trail riding that you do, a 1.5 Intense is a nice in between. ;)!

It's nice to see a movement towards 1.75 lugs. We used to get a lot of funny looks from guys with 1" tracks and studs at the gas stations. Till we got in the drifts.... 1.75=fun :Rockon:

Back