• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane 190 HP Review

titanrcr

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Sidewinder LTX LE
2015 Viper LTX SE
2011 Apex
Here is another Hurricane 190 review for anyone interested. I did the install about 3 weeks ago, taking my time over two evenings spent about 6 hours total to complete. Clearly could do another in 3 hours but was in no rush to do mine. The most difficult part of the installation by far was wrestling the intercooler onto the three intake boots as they are a tight fit and need to be. I did need clarification on a few steps along the way but Dave was right there to answer my questions.

The turbo is a Garrett ball bearing unit with internal waste gate pre-set @ 6psi. The turbo, Hindle can, intake air Unifilter, oil supply and return lines and mounting bracket arrived as a sub-assembly ready to be bolted on at the exhaust flange and the stock can mounting location. Three O/S injectors are installed, three impulse lines, one to each throttle body are tied together and go to a multi tee fitting which then have lines going to the blowoff valve, PCV / Bosch pressure sensor and a boost gauge if desired. The intake air temp sensor from the stock airbox relocates to the new intake plenum or intercooler. I wire tied my PCV to a loop in the sleds wiring harness rather than something solid in hopes that the soft mounting location would serve as vibration isolation for the unit. PCV plugs right into the main wiring harness right by the steering post. PCV is mapped at Hurricane and tuned to run on 87 octane. Oil supply line goes to a supplied fitting next to #3 throttle body and the return to a supplied fitting in the stator cover. The stock O2 sensor is installed in the new exhaust head pipe and comes with a second bung welded in with plug for use with a wide band O2 sensor if desired. All in all a very well thought out kit with outstanding fit and finish.

Having ridden the sled for the first time this past Friday and just having a tic under 200 miles on it I can't give a full report on performance. What I can say is that the sled starts and idles perfectly! No hunting at idle, no hesitation under full W/O throttle from a dead stop, not a single hiccup at any point during acceleration or throttle position. Couldn't be happier with the way it runs. I'm running the Hurricane clutch kit with the primary machined for O/D and stock gearing. The sled pulls very hard and is an absolute blast to ride! Still braking in the engine and have not felt the need to try and do a top end run but did try a few quick pulls on a plowed section of lake. With a shift speed of 8600-8700 I was getting to 100mph very quickly and did hold it one time to 115mph and the speedo was still clicking off mph at a real good clip. I have no doubt I'll be pushing 125 with the stock gearing. These were indicated numbers not GPS. I'm not sure how accurate the factory speedo is? Still need to top off the tank to calculate my MPG but I got close 140 mi. on the trip odometer before I got my low fuel warning light so I'm thinking it's doing real well on fuel.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait to get out and ride this thing some more!

NOTE: Intercooler is not included or needed with the standard 190hp kit. I decided to upgrade my kit in anticipation of going to 10psi of boost for next season.

Attachments

• 20141229_145332[1].jpg
    20141229_145332[1].jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 471
  • 20141229_145343[1].jpg
    20141229_145343[1].jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 494
  • 20141229_221031[1].jpg
    20141229_221031[1].jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 20141229_221752[1].jpg
    20141229_221752[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 657
  • 20141230_143325[1].jpg
    20141230_143325[1].jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 551
  • 20141230_144609[1].jpg
    20141230_144609[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

Wow sounds great glad you love it

Is that the 190 kit or the 240 kit? That looks like an intercooler . I am running the 190 kit and my intake doesn't look like that.
I am trying to get rid of some overflash in my clutching. It taps the rev limiter on take off then backs up to-8600. I am going to try some adjustments today. Weird thing is it didn't do this as bad before I had the reflash done.(?)

I am running the exact same kit. I am trying to get rid of some overflash in my clutching. It taps the rev limiter on take off then backs up to-8600. I am going to try some adjustments today. Weird thing is it didn't do this as bad before I had the reflash done.(?)

Running the Hurricane clutching? I'm not getting over-rev at all.

Yes. I added some weight to the heels and unwound my secondary a little and will ride it today.

Yes. I added some weight to the heels and unwound my secondary a little and will ride it today.

Sounds like the right move, surprised it would over-rev for you with the steep starting angle of this helix.

BTW, 190 kit with optional intercooler

It only does it on the bottom. The first time I trail rode it it only did it when the suspension was unloaded--over knobs an small jumps . After reflash it now taps the rev limiter all the time out of corners and take off. Sunday on take off it would hit the limiter 5-6 times on hole shots for @ 150 feet. I also may try a slightly softer primary spring--the Dalton orange maybe. Other than that this thing is a blast to ride!!!!!

great to see the number of people doing this kit for themselves, it is an easy install and good learning experience. good right up titanrcr. what is needed for 10 lbs yet? wonder about the new PCV maybe add some boost to a stock motor? stutter capability would be cool too. then more clutching. never ends! this kit does fit very well, everyone that sees mine is really impressed.

great to see the number of people doing this kit for themselves, it is an easy install and good learning experience. good right up titanrcr. what is needed for 10 lbs yet? wonder about the new PCV maybe add some boost to a stock motor? stutter capability would be cool too. then more clutching. never ends! this kit does fit very well, everyone that sees mine is really impressed.

Thanks tator, At this point already having the intercooler it should cost about 6-$700.00 to do #10psi. Head shim and studs, fuel pump, fuel regulator and re-calibrate clutches. Might need a Boost Tee also to raise the boost pressure, not sure on that.
I agree with you that if possible guys should be doing their own install, good learning experience and easy to do with the Hurricane kit.

Stain, How did those changes work out for you?
I actually went with a different weight. I installed and tuned a set of Draggin-Flys made for this turbo application. I have it VERY close--maybe close enough for now. I went for a 100 miles trail ride and it worked well. And I got 16.1 MPG!!!!!!!! I wasn't babying the throttle either!!!!

Hmmm, I am learning from your pics that the bung on mine was welded too far to the outside. I just went to install my sensor and can't close the side panel all the way.

I can also see that my heat shield is bent, probably from shipping.

Hmmm, I am learning from your pics that the bung on mine was welded too far to the outside. I just went to install my sensor and can't close the side panel all the way.

I can also see that my heat shield is bent, probably from shipping.

The heat shield should be easy to bend in any way needed.

10 lbs of boost is way to much fun!

Here is another Hurricane 190 review for anyone interested. I did the install about 3 weeks ago, taking my time over two evenings spent about 6 hours total to complete. Clearly could do another in 3 hours but was in no rush to do mine. The most difficult part of the installation by far was wrestling the intercooler onto the three intake boots as they are a tight fit and need to be. I did need clarification on a few steps along the way but Dave was right there to answer my questions.

The turbo is a Garrett ball bearing unit with internal waste gate pre-set @ 6psi. The turbo, Hindle can, intake air Unifilter, oil supply and return lines and mounting bracket arrived as a sub-assembly ready to be bolted on at the exhaust flange and the stock can mounting location. Three O/S injectors are installed, three impulse lines, one to each throttle body are tied together and go to a multi tee fitting which then have lines going to the blowoff valve, PCV / Bosch pressure sensor and a boost gauge if desired. The intake air temp sensor from the stock airbox relocates to the new intake plenum or intercooler. I wire tied my PCV to a loop in the sleds wiring harness rather than something solid in hopes that the soft mounting location would serve as vibration isolation for the unit. PCV plugs right into the main wiring harness right by the steering post. PCV is mapped at Hurricane and tuned to run on 87 octane. Oil supply line goes to a supplied fitting next to #3 throttle body and the return to a supplied fitting in the stator cover. The stock O2 sensor is installed in the new exhaust head pipe and comes with a second bung welded in with plug for use with a wide band O2 sensor if desired. All in all a very well thought out kit with outstanding fit and finish.

Having ridden the sled for the first time this past Friday and just having a tic under 200 miles on it I can't give a full report on performance. What I can say is that the sled starts and idles perfectly! No hunting at idle, no hesitation under full W/O throttle from a dead stop, not a single hiccup at any point during acceleration or throttle position. Couldn't be happier with the way it runs. I'm running the Hurricane clutch kit with the primary machined for O/D and stock gearing. The sled pulls very hard and is an absolute blast to ride! Still braking in the engine and have not felt the need to try and do a top end run but did try a few quick pulls on a plowed section of lake. With a shift speed of 8600-8700 I was getting to 100mph very quickly and did hold it one time to 115mph and the speedo was still clicking off mph at a real good clip. I have no doubt I'll be pushing 125 with the stock gearing. These were indicated numbers not GPS. I'm not sure how accurate the factory speedo is? Still need to top off the tank to calculate my MPG but I got close 140 mi. on the trip odometer before I got my low fuel warning light so I'm thinking it's doing real well on fuel.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait to get out and ride this thing some more!

NOTE: Intercooler is not included or needed with the standard 190hp kit. I decided to upgrade my kit in anticipation of going to 10psi of boost for next season.
how much was kit and how much extra for intercooler

Back