• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hurricane blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think this thread should be locked, it is a review of Hurricanes product and great to get down to the problems and issues. I have copied all of the text and can be revisited on SW. I have respect for what Dave is trying to accomplish with these motors, he trying to build a motor that can withstand high HP. Cant build anything to withstand detonation. I personally wouldn't run his application for my kind of riding, I am not interested in 32 #'s boost. Nobody can ride that out here anyway. I think this motor is more for the racing crowd IMO.

I have been running a similar map/turbo kit to Ringer for 4 years, I have even advanced my timing in the top end. Ringers has timing pulled from the top end and runs lower compression than me. I have ran up to 22 #'s boost on good fuel with zero motor issues(6500ft). I now run a 50/50 mix of C12 and premium and dont run over 18-19 #'s boost at altitude, it hasnt ran below 17 #'s since the first couple of weeks of the first season. I have almost 5000 kms on it. I do not run NOS on my motor but I would be willing to bet Daron wouldnt have broke a stock block, obviously some kind of issue has been addressed on other blocks before?? This "super" block should be able to withstand a small shot of NOS at 18#'s at 6500 ft or WTF would people buy them for? Seems maybe there is an issue here, while increasing the integrity of the cylinders, are you decreasing the integrity of the block? Must be or why does it need the new support?

One Stop Jim - I am not denying NOS cracked the block, but I also think this motor has been running on borrowed time from the beginning. Daron has not run this motor close to its so called "potential". Do you currently run a Hurricane block in your personal Apex or RX1 race motors?

When this concern on the cams fisrt came up , i was trying to get my sled up and running , tryed calling Dave at Hurricane and was tode that he was out of the office on Holidays , so i was willing to wait for his return , then i seen that he was acktive on here so i sent a PM to him and he did reply with was good of him to do so when on holidays , but the problem started when he was not willing to contact my engine builder at all as you can see in these PMs

TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index
Sent :: Message
To: HURRICANE
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am
Subject: Trying to get ahold of you .
Hi Dave , its Curtis Coleman , i got a set of your turbo cams from you throw Ron at QV in Red Deer Alberta < Got my head of my sled and it is into a engine builder ( specializes in head work , i think he use to be the head mechanic for the Canadian Suzuki super bike race team ) ( he has notthing to do with Lightspeed Innovations ) , he has concerns on how the cams are hitting the egde of the valve bucket , his name is Chuck Downie and you can call him at 403-746-3119 , i Have talked to Dave at Powder lites , thought it would be best to get ahold of you derect , as i am trying to get my sled running , i know you are on vocation , but seen that you were on here and give a PM a try
Thanks for your time
Curtis

PS
i fore got to give you my # 403-728-0183 as you may want to call be frist .

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 am
Subject: Re: Trying to get ahold of you .
HURRICANE wrote:
Curtis
I have talked to Dave at Powderlites.This is why I wanted your head sent to me.Please send it and I will set it up for you.I will not be calling your Suzuki mechanic from Jamaca.We have MANY cams out working well as Ringer has shown you.

Hi Dave , I did not know where you were on vocation and understand why you would not call Chuck from Jamacia , i will not be sending my head to you as we do have mechanics here in Alberta that do know how to work on these engine as well ( and Chuck is one of the best when it comes to this engine ) and if you do not beleave me call Jeff at Quantum Velocty , He gets Chuck to do all there head work .
As for the performance of the our cams i was not ?ing that as i did get to run them and the performance is unreal , but what i am ? ing is the reliability/longivity of the valve train , performance is one thing and we would like to get all we can , but we can not do it at the cost of relialility/ longivity of the engine , as we are building mountain sled that do get many hours of riding on them in the backcountry, not drag sleds that get 4-6 second runs at the track by guys that do sacrifice reliability for performance to get the win , as for Derrens ( Ringer ) sled he has be out once with his sled , i don,t think this is any proof of anything .
Thanks
Curtis

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 pm
HURRICANE wrote:
A good example of the reliability of these cams is an engine that we built for a guy in Quebec named Pat.He goes by Ultimate here on TY.This guy lake races his trail sled.He has reported to me that his sled makes all kinds of power and he puts many miles on it on the trails.I maybe am letting the cat out of the bag as it is not my policy the talk about other guy's engines but it is just 1 good example.HOWEVER,if you have not installed the cams,please send them back for refund.

So , you do not see anything wong with the way your cams contact , rides the edge of the bucket , What R & D was done with these cams before selling to the comsumer . How many miles / hours of riding does this Pat have on the sled with your cams and has he had it apart to check for any problem ( excelarated wear of the valve bucket / bucket guide , valve seat etc . ) this should be part of the R & D .
If you have done this Type of R & D work and you say there is no problem with excelarated wear problem and that it will not afect may reliability / longivity of the valve train i will run your cams and down the road if i have problems withexcelarated wear or failure of valve train parts , will you stand behind your word and replace or repair them , with the cost of the head and the $5500.00 invested in aftermacket parts/ work into it , i can not aford to run something that will put it a risk .
Curtis

Inbox :: Message
To: gunnerthesnowman
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm
Subject: Re: Trying to get ahold of you . Quote message
It is best that you send the cams back

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:25 am
HURRICANE said:
It is best that you send the cams back[/quote

Hi Dave , thanks for the great customer service , as you know from my Pm,s that i had ran the cams ,Thanks for taking the time to answer my ??s on my concern about your product , i which i would of had Chuck look at your cams before we installed them the frist time and i could return them as you requested .
I guess the concerns that Chuck has about your cams do not mean anything to you , but at the same time you will not stand behind your ( word ) product as indicated on your last PM.
I would think if you have done the R&D on your product that you would try a little harder to inshore a customer that has concerns about a product of your that he has spent he money on, but it seems to me that you do not stand behind you product or word .
In the case of Darrens ( Ringers ) sled , it all started when you did not send the head gasket or info with your block , and then when the concerns come up about the sleeve dropping came up , you had implied again that it was a install problem ( these dumass western ) so Ron & jeff had to spend $ 500.00 to sent the motor to you , just so you could confirm what they were saying and for you to then come out and say that you did have this problem on your earlyer blocks and that you had made changs to stop it from happen ( why didnt you give this info before ) So you did come out and say there was a falt with this block ( your product ) and you still charged them $ 1100. 00 to reassemble the engine that had to be taken apart due to a know design problem of your product . I guess you think this is all right and that you stood behind your product at a cost of over $ 1500.00 to you customer , alot of this info does not come out because the customer have to keep the peace , if they would like to get anymore of your so called costumer service if another problem comes up ( gun to there head ) .
Again , thanks from one of you customer in taking the time to answer my ??s on my concerns on your product and i will be shore to share this info to any other dumass westerner .

I know what your thinking , he said to send them back , but when on the phone with him the deal was only if there were not ran and as you all can see in my PM that i said i had ran them , all Dave had to do was call my engine builder and talk to him on the concerns we had , that would of been good service.

HURRICANE said:
Ringer,send me a pm or call me and we'll figure out how to work this out.
Gunner,you keep dogging me then.There seems to be nothing that I can do for you
sent ya a pm dave thanks
I will talk to ya soon

Re: Nos and low RPM

powderlites said:
You said it Jim! Nos at 40 HP shot at 10,000 rpm is nothing to worry about.
But touch that button at 5000 RPM to spool up RPM and it's like throwing a bomb in side that motor.
Run a switch so nos won't come on until full throttle!
I am staying out of this one but I will try to help explain what could have happen.
Some guys are still sledding and must be getting hot out so have a cold one and Racing motors blow up!
150 to 350 is pretty good.
500 hp is crazy when you really think about it.
I like the race CNC block!!

Also need a WINDOW switch set to 8500 rpm (I would set it to 9000) for bigger nos shots (40+hp)

Srxspec said:
Sounds like it's time to go billet!

BilletBlock4.jpg

BilletBlock3.jpg

BilletBlock2.jpg

BilletBlock1.jpg

Forgot to give credit for the pics, that thing looks amazing.

I'll allow this post to continue as long as everybody can treat each other with respect.

So far I have no problem with it, but if this thread turns into trash, into the trash can it goes.

Sincerely
rxrider
TY Management

Adrenaline Addiction said:
Srxspec said:
Sounds like it's time to go billet!

BilletBlock4.jpg

BilletBlock3.jpg

BilletBlock2.jpg

BilletBlock1.jpg

Forgot to give credit for the pics, that thing looks amazing.

Is there a billet cylinder head available?

HURRICANE said:

Just goes to show what a great guy/bussiness man Dave is - I have worked with him and have nothing but good to say.

Dave how many of these blocks do you have out there without any problems? Not too many other people posting broken blocks.

machzrobbie said:
HURRICANE said:

Just goes to show what a great guy/bussiness man Dave is - I have worked with him and have nothing but good to say.

Dave how many of these blocks do you have out there without any problems? Not too many other people posting broken blocks.

which i could say the same , its never to let!

I'm to old to take sides
Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one
Anything mechanical will fail eventually,human error or not.
I can attest to one thing, I know Dave on a personal level and on a business level also. He is a reasonable and honest man to deal with. I am sure with a bit of reason you can work this out. I don't know you Gunner but I am sure you have valid reasons or you would not have posted. Hope you guys can work it out ;)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back