• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ICE UNDER TUNNEL

curryd

Extreme
I am having a big problem with the sled icing under the tunnel. I rode this weekend in the U.P. and everyday I had to chip it away with a hammer for 20 minutes. It fills in so much that the only visible space is where the track is chewing its way through. Any solutions for this problem? Maybe a plate to block it off? My concern would be the heat from the exhaust would be too hot with this blocked off. I was told this from someone who blocked it off completely. They said the seat felt like it was going to catch on fire. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be benefical as well.

Try a search, or even just scan the first 3 pages of this forum, there are loads of threads on this.

Hope you find what you're looking for, short answer is most of us have not found anything that works yet. A few have had luck with plates.

Hey I just put a trick twin yosh exhaust on my xtx. I rode it with the stock exhaust for 500mi and then made mine. With the stock the ice build up was crazy. So when I made my twin set-up I made a plate that went on top of the protectors it was like 14" wide and 20" long. covered to the end of header pipe going into pipes. I went for a 10 min ride in -10 below temps and exhaust was getting way to hot. Went back and removed plate (pain in the a##) and everything was good. My header and starts of the pipes were glowing red in those temps!!! I bet the stock exhaust would be the same glowing red too. I did get to look to see if the plate would help and ice was still forming jsut not as much. Could not see long term what it would do since the over heating problem started quickly. Even my engine temp light came on on the way back to take the plate off. With the new twin Yosh exhaust the icing is not as much of a problem. I still have ice but it is usually only toward the front now. Any way my two cents. I would not even consider putting the plate back on. All I would do is be worring if my sled is going to catch on fire or overheat.

Below is an image of what I cobbled together to reduce the ice build-up on my sled. It worked really well last weekend.

The piece on top of the tunnel protectors is 24-inces long by 10.5 inches wide. 1/2-inch tabs were folded down on each long side to form a 9.5-inch channel that fit over the tunnel protectors. This base piece extends nearly to the middle support for the protectors.

I made a cardboard pattern to determine the shape of the side pieces and then traced this shape onto a sheet of aluminum and then added enough material to form a 1.25-inch tab on the bottom of the side pieces and a 3/8-inch hem on the top (you'll need right and left-hand versions of the side pieces). The lower tab extends over the tunnel protectors, overlapping the base piece. All three pieces were fastened to the top of the protectors with self-tapping screws - rivets would work too.

The fabrication and installation was done with the seat, panels, muffler, etc. off the sled.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 195
  • shieldassy 01.jpg
    shieldassy 01.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 214
ice in tunnel

Bought and installed the blockoff plate from schmidt bros and rode 122 miles last weekend with no buildup in the tunnel and the rear taillight was clear of ice and snow. Worth the money.

With the Schmidt Bros. plate, the pipe didn't seem to get to hot? This is my concern with blocking off the tunnel. I do understand that they only cover half of the hole, so maybe this is the ticket.

I made and installed one like that in our shop. It stops the snow and ice a lot better. It looks around the smae size as their plate. The only negative I see so far is that, it is slightly hotter underneath. Which melts the snow and ice, and sends the water between the tunnel and the seat. I am thinking of adding a small strip of black neoprene between the seat and the tunnel to help with this. Doesn't sound like a big deal; but when all of that water stars feezing on those cold days, foot traction stinks. Any better ideas before I put the gasket on?

Snowxracer, What size is the plate? Is it installed to the protectors or the tunnel itself? There is hardly no snow build up at all. More details would be apprciated.

I'm not sure who is gonna tackle this job on thier own and how mechanically inclinded everyone is. Here is what i did.........
I went to menards and bought a piece of alluminum ducting for dryers. this comes as a semi round tube that you need to "snap" together before installing it on your dryer. I cut the corrugated end off, and then flattened it. Measured up a 12" x 13" section of it, cut out for my aftermarket muffler (just a notch) and fitted it underneath the tunnel, up tight from the bottom (above the protectors). With this in there i marked for all the holes for the push fasteners and pulled it back out, drilled those out (oversize) and then put it back in with 4 rivets. All said and done my "snow deflector" cost me $2.98 and 4 - 3/16" rivets. cheap fix and i hope it all works as i just did this yesterday. I did take a couple photos before i put the seat back on but i dont know how to post photos on here.

Does anyone have a template for the plate? I have the ability to make something work but I want it to look professional as welll.

Back