• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

In a bind

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
I am up in Quebec and my sled is cutting out with any kind of throttle. I am thinking fuel pump. A local dealer has a viper fuel pump, but no sidewinder pump. Will a viper pump work in a sidewinder to get me back to my truck?

First I would get the sled in a warm garage overnight to confirm you don't have lines or sensors frozen.
Check throttle cable free play to eliminate a tors issue.
If its still acting up I would get them to trouble shoot the fuel system to confirm you have a fuel pump issue , a fuel pressure test should confirm or eliminate that.

I am up in Quebec and my sled is cutting out with any kind of throttle. I am thinking fuel pump. A local dealer has a viper fuel pump, but no sidewinder pump. Will a viper pump work in a sidewinder to get me back to my truck?
Is it cutting out so that it will not move, like it is bouncing consistently off a limiter?

If so, that may be a TORS issue. That is how my Yamaha's in the past acted. Perhaps something is frozen?

does it idle? if it idlesfine and then cuts out as you give it throttle it might just be your throttle safety switch has gotten frozen or is bad.... follow the wire out of the throttle block down your steering colum just below hood level under guages you will see a white connector, unplug it, if its the safety switch the sled will run fine. if its your pump... and you have and upgraded one in there,,, the wire to the pump might have poped off as it is just a spade connector happened to me 3 weeks ago in Amos Quebec.. take seat off and bang on top of pump housing.... iff while idling it cuts out then this is it, easy to fix if your tank is low on fuel.

I am willing to bet it is a faulty map sensor, or the map sensor line has water/condensation in it. Seems to be a more and more common problem with the sidewinder platform. I know my sidewinder had that same issue a few years back. It was a bugger to figure out.

I am willing to bet it is a faulty map sensor, or the map sensor line has water/condensation in it. Seems to be a more and more common problem with the sidewinder platform. I know my sidewinder had that same issue a few years back. It was a bugger to figure out.
Spot on. Brought it to a dealer. Very knowledgeable mechanic. He said does it cut out when you reach 6 to 7k RPM. I said yes. He said you have a frozen turbo relay and water in your map sensor line. Couldn't believe the amount of water in the line. He tested the fuel pump and it was fine. So, good to go now. Got good news from my dealer today too. My new sled shipped yesterday, and gave me a VIN#.

Spot on. Brought it to a dealer. Very knowledgeable mechanic. He said does it cut out when you reach 6 to 7k RPM. I said yes. He said you have a frozen turbo relay and water in your map sensor line. Couldn't believe the amount of water in the line. He tested the fuel pump and it was fine. So, good to go now. Got good news from my dealer today too. My new sled shipped yesterday, and gave me a VIN#.
As suspected...first thing to do with these sleds when they are acting up is thaw them out overnight. Glad you got it figured out.

thank God you got it done...which line is it? ive never had that happen and want to know just in case! thanks Snody

Last edited:
thank God you got it done...which line is it? ive never had that happen and want to know just in case! thanks Snody
If you remove the hood on your sled, Look behind fuses, you have a few sensors located on a metal plate there. One of them in your map sensor and has a small vacuum line attached to the bottom. If you remove that line often times the condensation will build up and need to be drained out. I have personally seen it ruin a few map sensors overtime.

on mine i have one to the left of centre that has a green sticker and nipple on bottom that has no hose attached, then in middle i have the # bar map sensor with hose... i took it off and its dry soo sucked and blew in it no issues. question is what is the one that has no hose on for?? now to the right of the 3 Bar is my boost timer i think... its a block wit several hoses and wires going to it that TD installed.

Back