• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Insulation Box around Exhaust Manifold

mjaremko

Suspended
Question: I'm removing my tunnel protectors on my XTX and in the process of all this rivit drilling is the removal of the insulation box that goes on both sides of the stock exhaust mainifold. Is this box mandatory? Is anyone out there running w/out it ??

Thanks

mj

Yep, keep the box. While you're in there check the condition of the insulation and exhaust gaskets. On my sled, when the gaskets gave up the exhaust leak toasted some of the insulation.

Sure, "thanks" is a nice notion, but I'd prefer a donation to the Arteeex Sled Season Fund.

PayPal will work for me.

Maybe someday when I learn more about my sled I can return the favour. :)

I figured I shouldent remove the insulation but thought I would ask the experts in the hopes I could remove one more pound from the XTX !!

mj

If you have the track out of your way, you can get the protectors out from the bottom without removing this piece.

Just drill or cut a big hole in the protectors on the underside where the rivets are. Then you can grind off the underside of the rivet.

How i did mine anyway, but I had the track and drivers already out.

I just removed mine...from the top. Did this really prevent further ice build up? Last year I had a block off plate around the exhaust opening and that worked great on the rear part of the tunnel. Do I need to come up with another plate or will just having the protectors removed be enough?

Back