• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is there a Part number for an Axle bearing without the steel seal

Are you referring to the bearing at the speedo sensor? I think all the oem bearings have rubber seals. I know the all balls kits have speedo bearing that has metal seal.

New bearing from Yamaha now has the metal seal on it. Was thinking of buying a regular bearing and robbing the rubberized seals in it and use them in the speedo bearing when I service it.

Interesting. When did the metal shielded bearing come out? I have yet to see an oem yamaha bearing with the metal seal.

I still prefer the rubber seal as I repack bearings with grease on all sleds I service.

Interesting. When did the metal shielded bearing come out? I have yet to see an oem yamaha bearing with the metal seal.

I still prefer the rubber seal as I repack bearings with grease on all sleds I service.

Ya speedo side on driveshaft. Ordered Jackshaft and driveshaft bearings in case I need to change them (10,000 miles) and the driveshaft bearing has metal seals. I want the rubberized seal for removal ease! Maybe pull the old ones out and reuse! I thought I read way back about a different part number then the steel seal one. Can't find on a search.

I still can't believe nobody has come out with an aftermarket replacement plate with a grease zert that has a proper seal to keep the grease in. Would sell lots of them, lol! Probably could just thread a zert into the original plate & make a thin gasket just larger in diameter than the bearing. Leave the one seal off & give it a squirt of grease from time to time, lol

Last edited:
Ya speedo side on driveshaft. Ordered Jackshaft and driveshaft bearings in case I need to change them (10,000 miles) and the driveshaft bearing has metal seals. I want the rubberized seal for removal ease! Maybe pull the old ones out and reuse! I thought I read way back about a different part number then the steel seal one. Can't find on a search.
I think it's a Canadian thing. I went to my Yamaha dealer a couple of years ago here in Canada and received a non serviceable bearing. So I ordered same number from Portyamaha in Wisconsin and got the serviceable bearings.

I still can't believe nobody has come out with an aftermarket replacement plate with a grease zert that has a proper seal to keep the grease in. Would sell lots of them, lol! Probably could just thread a zert into the original plate & make a thin gasket just larger in diameter than the bearing. Leave the one seal off & give it a squirt of grease from time to time, lol

Its a great idea but you don't really want a bearing packed tight with grease. They get hotter that way. They can push out seals and if you do not have a way to let the grease out so will pumping in more grease. You could leave an opening to allow grease to come out so fresh in old out but an opening allows contaminants in as well. Best way is open them up, flush and regrease.
I have bearing buddies on my boat trailer and the grease melts out of them on the highway. Ok on short runs but on long ones you can fry a bearing. When I get home I pump in fresh grease and water comes out because the bearings got hot and pushed out grease, once dropped into the water they cooled and sucked in the water.

I think it's a Canadian thing. I went to my Yamaha dealer a couple of years ago here in Canada and received a non serviceable bearing. So I ordered same number from Portyamaha in Wisconsin and got the serviceable bearings.

Maybe but I though the US guys where also talking about it.

Its a great idea but you don't really want a bearing packed tight with grease. They get hotter that way. They can push out seals and if you do not have a way to let the grease out so will pumping in more grease. You could leave an opening to allow grease to come out so fresh in old out but an opening allows contaminants in as well. Best way is open them up, flush and regrease.
I have bearing buddies on my boat trailer and the grease melts out of them on the highway. Ok on short runs but on long ones you can fry a bearing. When I get home I pump in fresh grease and water comes out because the bearings got hot and pushed out grease, once dropped into the water they cooled and sucked in the water.

Doo has a cover with a grease zerk on theirs, no issues there. It does have a bleed hole to allow air and extra grease out. As for the overpacking with grease thing, that was dispelled a while back. It's bearings running at very high speeds that can overheat, like 10,000 RPM.

Actually I still have the boxes. The blue box was Yamaha Canada with a non serviceable NTN bearing, and the red box is Yamaha USA with a NSK serviceable bearing. DSC03323.JPG

if you need one i could send you one Sas from Fortt Frances, i always get them from us because of the seals.

Doo has a cover with a grease zerk on theirs, no issues there. It does have a bleed hole to allow air and extra grease out. As for the overpacking with grease thing, that was dispelled a while back. It's bearings running at very high speeds that can overheat, like 10,000 RPM.

My trailer axles don't hit anywhere near 10,00 rpm! I spent some time as a oiler and have seen first hand what overpacked bearings do. Grease does not conduct heat well, air will conduct heat better then grease. Now on the flip side the drive bearing is exposed to air and aluminum around it as a heat sink. It does receive some cooling compared to say an axle assembly. I have packed bearings in a hub solid (bearing buddys are a good example) with grease thinking more is better and was soon rewarded with a hot grease puking mess. I had my drive bearing seal pop out but it could be for a couple reasons such as failure to reinstall properly and or from repeated in and out. Although as I did say I overpacked it I had thought! I flushed and repacked the bearing and ran it for another season and the seal has stayed in.

I think my thought was I would rather pop the seal and clean and repack every year.

Back