• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jumper cables

I have not had to jump my sled yet but I do carry a set of cables in the storage pack in the front of the sled with the tool kit. It is a small set that I put in were my spare belt was. I did have to give a older Polaris FI a jump with them.

I have never had to use them but I do carry a set of jumper cables in my backpack. Made them myself nice and tiny about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes. If you are interested in making some I cant get you a pic of mine.

I just bought some arctic grade 2-conductor #8 wire from a local supplier. I also picked up clamps and boots. It just got me thinking about what others are doing. Like wire size, type of clamps, and overall length. I never thought about it until now. I don't want to make them too heavy duty.

SB

stewartb said:
I just bought some arctic grade 2-conductor #8 wire from a local supplier. I also picked up clamps and boots. It just got me thinking about what others are doing. Like wire size, type of clamps, and overall length. I never thought about it until now. I don't want to make them too heavy duty.

SB

I used standard 10AWG with jumper ends from the local HDWR store, I used a little torch and soldered the ends, made the cables about 6ft long then used some velcro to bundle them up, they fit perfectly in my "belt" holder, I used yellow and black FYI

stewartb said:
Two questions.

1) Has anyone here required a jump start?

2) Does anyone here carry jumper cables on/in their sled?

A1) I like a good jump start several times a week. My sled, on the other hand, like my wife has not yet shown the same interest.

A2) No I don't carry jumper cables on my sled. But without the option for pull, push or kick starting the beast this seems like a prudent idea.

I suppose you'd need wire and clamps that can move about 40A to work properly. And, I expect this shouldn't be hard to accomplish with today’s modern technologies.

This thread got me thinking, It's probably not a bad idea to have a set in the tool pouch. How else are you gonna get your sled going if you are out on the trail and you battery dies. So I ordered a set of Yuasa, Motorcycle jumper cables, they even come with a carry pouch.

Attachments

• 15-0529BattryCables_zoom.jpg
    15-0529BattryCables_zoom.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 69
Let's focus on dead batteries. Nobody has responded as having one with their Nytro. The electronics seem fairly good at protecting the battery. I'm not sure what could drain a battery on these things and still leave the sled functional to start with jumpers. I'm on the fence whether to carry cables or not. Since there would have to be another machine (and rider) there to jump it I'm thinking a piece of 2-conductor wire with no terminals would be adequate for emergency use. Perhaps I'll just carry that. It would be much more compact. As for the cables I've built? One set in the trailer, one at the cabin. That's probably where I'd need them anyway.

SB

One of my Buddies put a smaller (R1) battery in his Nytro to save weight and on cold days (-25ish celcius) he usually needs a boost...I have never needed a boost although I was close one morning (I think it was close to -30). IMHO it is nice when somebody in the group has cables...

Back