• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just got back from a wk in NH, comments on skis and clutch ?

birdmayon

Expert
Last year I'd posted about aftermarket skis for the Phazer, I ended up going with a set of Curves with 6" shaper bars. All I can say is FANTASTIC. These things really transformed the sled, this is what the Phazer should come with from the factory. I have the limiter strap set with two holes remaining, fox float 2's up front set to 70 psi, and stock base model rear suspension. There was still minor darting in certain situations, but it was a minor inconvenience as opposed to downright dangerous darting that I'd experienced last year with the stock skis. This combo is literally point and shoot, they go where you point em. Almost zero push, even in powder. They did great in all conditions that I put them through, which included nice powdery groomed trails, ice, wet powder/slush, and frozen powder. Did a tiny bit of off trail and they seemed good there too. Steering effort was no more than with stock skis with 6" shapers. Not really much else to say but I LOVE these skis.

So, with the new skis, this sled is an awesome ride. Of course, I've got the same complaint that you always hear, it lacks power. Not an issue really, I can keep up with everyone except on those really long wide high speed trails. Just be nice to have a bit more oomph when you hit the gas, and not need to go full throttle out of every corner. I rode my buddies 1100 turbo cat which just spoiled me. Makes me wonder if Nytro is the way to go, but, I'd be concerned that it won't feel/ride the same. I absolutely love the seat height, shape, feel of the phazer.

So, clutch kit, which is the best? Primary wants would be more responsive throttle in mid range. Of course, reduced engine braking would be nice too.

Pros and cons of the different clutch kits?

Trails in Pittsburg area of NH were pretty good last week. Alot of dirt/rocks in and around town but up in the mountains, plenty of snow. Towards the weekend, it seems everyone and their mother came into town, I'm sure they're all realizing that with no snow in teh forecast, better get their riding in. Anyway, lots of traffic and whooped out trails as the weekend approached but I really cannot complain considering the winter we've had.

Thanks for any info on clutches.

My cousin is the owner/designer of Curve industries.
I have a set as well with 6" Studboy shapers but he's told me it's really over kill for the 500cc Phazer.
I've rode over 400 miles on some pretty bare/ rock filled trails and roads but wearing them down to replace with 4" (which I have hanging up in the garage) has been tough LOL.
They are a hard assed carbide!

My buddy has an '08 Nytro, I love the thing~ it's just so smooth and effortless. When you whack it, WEEEEEE! ;)!

Porkchop, I got the 6" shapers cause they were out of 4.5"s when I ordered the skis. After I had ordered them, I was afraid that they'd be too much so I ordered a set of 4" round bars from them, with plans to swap if the front end had too much bite for me. That said, with the set-up described above, they seemed perfect so I left the round bars in the trailer. I am also lightly studded.

How does the Nytro do in the turns compared with the Phazer? More or less effort at a high pace?

I think the Nytro just has a certain snap/ feeling to it, hard to describe~ fun is a good word to start with...
If I hadn't come across a great deal on an enclosed trailer the Phazer was going on the chopping block towards one.

I've got the schmidt bros clutch kit and it works great. Little more snap on bottom but really has a sweet spot around 11,000 rpm nice improvement in midrange. Didn't see much improvement on top(don't care) but you can get that with the machining option schmidt bros offers. Haven't run ulmers but sure it's good stuff as everything else he sells is.
The nytro is a blast as porkchop said. Very smooth compared to the phazer.Not as flickable but I think more weight over the skis makes it rail corners just as well if not better(with the right skis as you found out, I run c&a xt's)A slightly different riding position, not quite as quad like but rider forward and aggressive. The seat is more comfy and wider. A little bigger feeling but the power on tap(oh that 4stroke torque) more than makes up for it. Nothing like the growl of that triple. When set up right both of these sleds give perma grin, but definitely different animals. I'm glad I have both as some days I think the phazer is all I really need(when I can get it away from my son), other days not so much.

maniac, thanks for the nytro comparison. Still up in the air, clutch kit or nytro. Guess I'll see what kind of deals I can find this year and make my decision from there. Wish I lived in an aera where there was enough snow to justify one of each....

Back