• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lefty throttle

MTBGuy

Country
USA
Snowmobile
91 Venture, 97 700SX, 08 Phazer MTX, 09 Nytro
Has anyone put a lefty throttle on an MTX?? I feel that it would be of a huge benefit when boondocking.

Yes, i had one on my '07 Mountain Lite, and it was useful but i highly suggest making it a habit to check/use the safety pin when you are not using the left throttle. Long story short, left throttle got pinned wide open, i couldn't get off the machine in time and rode it into a stand of trees at full throttle. I have not added a left throttle to my other sleds, and probably won't. I decided to commit myself to learning to ride the sled properly from either side instead, which will probably always be a 'work in progress' for me. I had a Goldfinger throttle, which was big enough to grab, but not so big to get in the way. If you have an old bicycle hand brake lever and cable lying around, you could probably rig something up to try it before buying one.

My buddy had one on his MTX and I have ran left hand throttles on my last 3 sleds. My buddy didn't use his much on his Mountain lite because they are pretty easy to lay over and carve with.
I use mine a fair amount as I have a medical condition in my right hand so they are a big help for me.

I've only had one incident so far back when I had my Nytro and it was because I was resting my finger on the LHT while I was using the right throttle. Went to "squeeze the brake" and whacked a tree. Since then I have made a conscious effort not to leave my finger on the LHT when not using it.
Gold fingers have a safety pin as Snowmixer suggested and you'll want to use it anytime your not using it or when someone else is riding your sled. Also it's a good idea to wear a tether as well.

Back