• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lightweight battery Replacement for Nytro MTX

The link above is for what I was referring to previously....not a great idea for being too far from home, or exposed to cold temps. I've seen them break as well. Notice they even recommend/sell battery cables to carry along? Kind of a no brainer, unless you want to spend the day sitting on your dead sled watching your 2-smoke pals having a great time.

Well said, Climbmax. As I mentioned previously, these are just a batcap with a flashy name put on them, being sold as a sled battery. In reality, if these things were a proven performer for sled/ATV use, why wouldn't say Yamaha use them, they've been around for quite a while now? They are made for a purpose and that doesn't include being pounded around in a sled/ATV, nor a reliable power source after sitting at -20C for a few days.
Another comparative example of stupidity is using rechargeable batteries in your avalanche beacon (if you're smart enough to carry one in the hills)......it powers up and all the lights flash, it shows a good charge but.....did you know the last, say, 35-45% remaining charge will plummet like a stone when searching etc in the colder air? Use good alkaline batteries only, it's proven and top beacon manufacturers insist on them!
Aftermarket parts dealers love to sell things that are inviting to the consumer, anything with a good potential to sell, it's all business.
A few years ago, skidoo copied Simmons skis to a tee and started putting them on their sleds( they had to stop), why? Because they were a proven performer. Any ski will break/wear etc from use, but this is an example of sled makers using proven parts. If these batteries (batcap) were really that good, I'm sure Yamaha would love to save 8-10 pounds, why not?

wienerwater said:
Well said, Climbmax. As I mentioned previously, these are just a batcap with a flashy name put on them, being sold as a sled battery. In reality, if these things were a proven performer for sled/ATV use, why wouldn't say Yamaha use them, they've been around for quite a while now? They are made for a purpose and that doesn't include being pounded around in a sled/ATV, nor a reliable power source after sitting at -20C for a few days.
Another comparative example of stupidity is using rechargeable batteries in your avalanche beacon (if you're smart enough to carry one in the hills)......it powers up and all the lights flash, it shows a good charge but.....did you know the last, say, 35-45% remaining charge will plummet like a stone when searching etc in the colder air? Use good alkaline batteries only, it's proven and top beacon manufacturers insist on them!
Aftermarket parts dealers love to sell things that are inviting to the consumer, anything with a good potential to sell, it's all business.
A few years ago, skidoo copied Simmons skis to a tee and started putting them on their sleds( they had to stop), why? Because they were a proven performer. Any ski will break/wear etc from use, but this is an example of sled makers using proven parts. If these batteries (batcap) were really that good, I'm sure Yamaha would love to save 8-10 pounds, why not?

I agree about the batcap stuff. But saying stuff like why wouldn't yamaha use them? Why doesn't yamaha or any manufacture use better performing stuff all the time, like intakes, exhaust, etc...

There are number of reasons, emissions, price, suppliers, etc....

I've been using the YTZ7S for 3 years in my turbo RX. If I flood the sled the battery will crank and crank till the sled fires, no problem. I'm putting one in my Nytro this week.

M5

I agree with you Silentsno, there are a number of reasons for any production sled. Many after-market items are a testing ground for manufacturers as well.
If as riders, we all buy an item that makes sense to our needs,and works,and can be made affordably/easily you can bet it is being watched. There are things that get more complicated, such as emissions that are under the eye of the government in Canada and the U.S. Engines are not factory tuned to the max hp they can produce, allowing some room for future gains (tooling costs), yet reliable to the consumer. Noise decibels and emissions are a concern, along with fuel economy.
Again in history there never was a 2"+ paddle track (or anything close) made by anyone, and again, Simmons (the ski people) researched and developed the best bolt on plastic paddles for your track. I was personally given a set of 2 1/4" paddles for hillclimbing, and they worked so well, within a couple years tracks were being sold with the larger paddles built in. Being it was a big need for many of us, guess who started to put them on factory sleds?All the manufacturers went with it. Why? Consumer demand and the track manufacturers could supply them easily.
Auto makers do the same thing, it never ends, but re-tooling costs are expensive for unproven changes, so why not let aftermarket be a testing ground?
I'm not trying to say anything like "I'm right, you're wrong", this is simple discussion, so please don't be offended in any way from my views, such as I'm not offended by yours as well.

wienerwater said:
I agree with you Silentsno, there are a number of reasons for any production sled. Many after-market items are a testing ground for manufacturers as well.
If as riders, we all buy an item that makes sense to our needs,and works,and can be made affordably/easily you can bet it is being watched. There are things that get more complicated, such as emissions that are under the eye of the government in Canada and the U.S. Engines are not factory tuned to the max hp they can produce, allowing some room for future gains (tooling costs), yet reliable to the consumer. Noise decibels and emissions are a concern, along with fuel economy.
Again in history there never was a 2"+ paddle track (or anything close) made by anyone, and again, Simmons (the ski people) researched and developed the best bolt on plastic paddles for your track. I was personally given a set of 2 1/4" paddles for hillclimbing, and they worked so well, within a couple years tracks were being sold with the larger paddles built in. Being it was a big need for many of us, guess who started to put them on factory sleds?All the manufacturers went with it. Why? Consumer demand and the track manufacturers could supply them easily.
Auto makers do the same thing, it never ends, but re-tooling costs are expensive for unproven changes, so why not let aftermarket be a testing ground?
I'm not trying to say anything like "I'm right, you're wrong", this is simple discussion, so please don't be offended in any way from my views, such as I'm not offended by yours as well.

Nope, well said.

Back