• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

lining up rear suspension bolts on xtx

twiz28

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder BTX 1.75 Backcountry
2017 Sidewinder XTX 137
had the skid out tonight to remove the tunnel protectors in hopes of eliminating ice build up and was wondering if there is any tricks to getting the rear mount bolts back in? I'm off about 3/8 of an inch and gave up until tomorrow after work.

torsion springs

thanks mtn, so it is that easy? anything to watch for? any dificulty in bolting them back to the rails?

Skid replacement is much easier with a friend available to help. With the rear lifted and the bumper supported work the skid into the track and locate properly, then tip the sled on its side and have a buddy hold it while you get the front bolt started. Rock the sled and cuss as necessary, but this is pretty simple stuff. Tip to the other side and repeat. Then work on the back bolts one side at a time the same way. If you have a battery-powered impact driver you'll find those cross shaft bolts much easier to drive. And easier to remove, too. Battery-powered impact drivers are awesome for wrenching on snow-gos.

Before you tip it left you should clamp the fuel vent or you'll spill gas. The vent is under the left cowl above the footrest. Very accessible with the cowl off.

Stewart

Re: torsion springs

twiz28 said:
thanks mtn, so it is that easy? anything to watch for? any dificulty in bolting them back to the rails?
There will be some tension from the spring, I like to back off the 3 position adjuster to the soft setting. Then let the springs hang down on each side of the track.
Also it helps to install the bolt into the plastic block first, then slide the whole works into the rail.

you do not have to unbolt the front retainer to loosen the tension on the rear torsion spring. set the rear adjuster to soft is a good idea, makes things easier. flip the plastic retainer on the rail forward (requires some pressure), then pull spring out of holder (under pressure be careful) then install the front skid bolts then the rear skid bolts will line up alot easier. then reinstall the torsion spring into the holder, and flip it back to cover the spring.

i can pull a skid by my self in about 10 minutes. and i can put it back in with no help, no straps, no wood blocks in about 15. it is a very easy process, worse thing is making sure you have the bolt holes line up to start the bolt straight.

ski

All great suggestions- got an easier one for you. I have a "come-along" attached to the ceiling of my garage. I lift the back of the sled with the grab bar until the suspension is unloaded and just resting on the floor. Pull the four bolts, raise it higher and it comes out with ease (by myself). Before putting it back in, I use one of those ratchet straps and wrap it around the top rear mounting point of the suspension and around the bottom pivot of the front arm (see pic.). You don't have to ratchet it down too much, then just slide it into the track, bolt up the fronts first, lower the sled and adjust the ratchet strap until the holes line up- bolt the rear. Release the ratchet strap, adjust track tension- go ride!

[/img]

Attachments

• Nytro'.jpg
    Nytro'.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 119
skid

thanks guys, I do have a hoist from the ceiling and had the skid out in about 5 minutes, easy going back in lined up the front bolts no problem and got to the back and called it a night, just wanted to know if there was an easy way to line up the back bolts without too much effort, your tips should help. Just the first time dropping this kid.

Back