• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking to Buy 14-15 SR Viper XTX - Need advice

mattjuntunen

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper XTX SE
So I want to buy a SR Viper XTX. Planning on doing some trail riding up in northern Minnesota by lake superior. Also planning on doing a couple trips to upper Michigan next year. I want to trail ride but I also want to learn and do some mountain style riding in upper Michigan. Is this the sled I want? Is the 4 stroke really that much heavier then a 2 stroke? I am 250lb and very strong upper and lower. I am in shape not fat lol. Just a big dude. Also do these sleds last? I want something that will have minimal maintenance? Also feel free to tell me anything you else you want.

Sleds lasting and minimal maintenance do not coexist. All sleds are relatively high maintenance. Think of it this way ... high performance engine, extreme conditions, off road environment, a track (tanks have tracks and are not low maintenance either) and a rider with a thumb cramp. Stuff will need attention or you will be disappointed and trips ruined.

Flip side, embrace your inner mechanic, bring your problems to TY and gain an understanding of your machine and satisfaction in your new skills.

I suspect with your weight and size the extra weight of a Yamaha four stroke will not be an issue and you will enjoy the four stroke torque.

Thank you, I kinda misspoke I love maintaining my things and learning to fix things and work through issues. Youtube helps a lot. I guess what I mean is is Yamahas build quality and reliability generally better vs competition? Like do the engines run a lot better and have a better design and quality? Clutches? Etc

No such no such thing as a good crossover sled. The XTX Is Awesome trail sled and fair at best off trai. The MTX or 153 or bigger it's going to be your best bet for playing off Trail in the UP but not your best bet for trail riding. So another words no one sled is going to be great at both. We all ride different

I personally think you will be good with the 141. With that said I personally don’t think the 153 is a good choice. And even though it’s not a Yamaha the Polaris assault 144 17 or newer is an excellent crossover sled. You can buy a bigger lug track and do very well off trail and still perform very well on trail. In reality you are going to just see what you do more often and enjoy. But with your size the 4 stroke is not too heavy

I have two xtx's and unless you are in huge snow, you will be fine. Its always a trade off trail vs boondocking. You will love the xtx as I am almost your size and love mine.

Is the Yamaha reliability still there with the sr viper?
Engine reliability is still on par. Everything else around it performs better than the traditional Yamaha, but does not have the traditional Yamaha reliability.

The motor will outlast the chassis and everything else, but that's fine as it's the most important part. Don't let all the problems you read about scare you, the Viper is a good sled and doesn't have the power like the sidewinders that cause so many broken parts and belts. I have over 5000 trouble free miles on mine, but I did read up on it and before I rode it I went through and checked all the hose clamps, electrical connections, bearing and nuts. These procross sleds are built in America so think 1980's autoworker mentality. They probably don't like Yamaha up there in Minnesota either, so take that with a grain of salt. Just think of it like this our Vipers are just getting broke in at 5000 miles and all those 2 strokes out there are ticking time bombs, tick tick tick...

Engine reliability is still on par. Everything else around it performs better than the traditional Yamaha, but does not have the traditional Yamaha reliability.
Turtle is right on. I would also add that they arent very fast, if thats important to you.

Best winter in a long time in the arrowhead of Minnesota and the XTX has handled everything I’ve thrown at it so far. I’m a 50/50 rider and it’s a good blend for that, though I do plan on ditching the Cobra track and installing a Backcountry this summer. Buddy has a 15’ MTX 153 and that sled does surprisingly well on the trail. My original plan was to buy a cheap MTX 153, install a Backcountry, and 40” swaybar arms which is now the BTX

Thank you guys for all the advice. Thats good to hear that the engine is reliable. This will be the first snowmobile i have owned. I have rode them before obviously. So it being not that fast to you might be different to me. If i do get to point where it is to slow should i add a turbo? Also hell yeah the arrowhead area has had lots of snow. Cross your fingers for again next year. Also us Minnesotans like yammies because we all fish and we know Yamahas make the best outboards. Thats partially why im looking into yamahas. Also they are the best looking sleds in my opinion. That yammir blue viper is sexy and it has some nostalgia in it to. The reds nice too.

No such no such thing as a good crossover sled. The XTX Is Awesome trail sled and fair at best off trai. The MTX or 153 or bigger it's going to be your best bet for playing off Trail in the UP but not your best bet for trail riding. So another words no one sled is going to be great at both. We all ride different
Well said.

Thank you guys for all the advice. Thats good to hear that the engine is reliable. This will be the first snowmobile i have owned. I have rode them before obviously. So it being not that fast to you might be different to me. If i do get to point where it is to slow should i add a turbo? Also hell yeah the arrowhead area has had lots of snow. Cross your fingers for again next year. Also us Minnesotans like yammies because we all fish and we know Yamahas make the best outboards. Thats partially why im looking into yamahas. Also they are the best looking sleds in my opinion. That yammir blue viper is sexy and it has some nostalgia in it to. The reds nice too.
Turbo with clutch work and gear change. I had mine done at 500 miles, it was exactly what my sled needed for the way I ride. Your riding style and the sleds your typically riding with will tell you if a turbo is needed or not.

Back