• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Low Gas Mileage - Anyone else?

So for those who purchase the dx models which are geared to cruising well groomed trails and taking long trips, albeit with more power, too bad? I don't think so.

If "they" wanted a touring sled, they should have bought a touring sled. I may be wrong but I didn't see any Yamaha marketing materials saying this was a big miles touring sled. I remember the days when sleds had 7 gal. gas tanks and the big HP motors would get 8mpg (when conditions were perfect). 56 mile range........we made sure we didn't pass up a gas stop, or take a route that didn't have gas.

If tunnels are bending with gas cans mounted, well, make up your own reinforcement. Don't wait for Yamaha or any other OEM to admit there's a problem and come up with a fix. The season is too short as it is. Just Do It! ;)!:yam:

GO YAMAHA!

Last edited:
Let's try to let these sleds break in and get some good real world riding conditions. All we have had here is powder and slush and now rain. My boosted 1100 turbo got 12 to 13.5 miles to the gallon and I'm sure in the same conditions broke in these will get that if not better. I like getting a heads up on problems with these new sleds but sure is a lot of negative going around on these new sleds as well. Hopefully we get some snow and cold soon so we can just ride and enjoy our new purchase. Think snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPRIDER800, better to know now, cause later might be too late.

What are we talking.....loose bolts and flat rollers? 2 beer job, maybe?

The Mileage on my BTX se is close to my stock Viper, the horsepower is not! I put 110 trail miles on Friday(30 degrees & wet snow) in less than ideal trail conditions. I filled up at the 70 mile mark, I put in 4.6 gallons(70/4.6=15.2mpg). I was doing mostly a lot of cruising with some WOT runs in the straights. Overall I couldn't be happier with this sled. My only complaint is that neck has been sore since I started riding this sled! Its a rocket!

My apex is 13 to 15 all the time, not breaking trails. And with our huge fields, it's flat out til my eyeballs start wobbling and I can't see. Friday on tug, a lot of runs up to 80 or so as acceleration is the fun part. I get to 110 miles I start looking for gas. Yellow light on the level comes in with about 2.5 left.

Rode on some hard frozen trails, a little better on fuel over 400 kms now.Still used 5 litres more in 125 kms more than viper I was with, but worth it.Pulls real hard with good traction.Just need clutch rollers replaced now.

8.9 gallons per my spec sheet that came with all my paperwork on my zr9k
I pumped 36 litres into it the other day which is 9.47 us gallons. I think the 8.9 is what you will get if you don't burp the tank.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

_20161226_222158.JPG

Back