• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Marginal Wheel Kit has not held up

CaptCaper

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector XTX 1.25 Lug wifes..2013 RS Vector LTX.. 2003 600 VMax Past Machines 3-2007 Attaks 1-2010 Vector LTX.. sorry no Stinkdoos or poo's cats.
Anyone else have them bend out of wack? Last season the mounting bracket with the counter sunk holes bent out so the wheels were getting cocked out and tipping. I made new brackets and added a SS bolt threw the rail figureing it would strengthen the mount. I noticed yester the wheel was cocked. The bolt and bracket bent. I took them off.
These were installed on my Attak around the middle of the rails as per Yamaha's instructions and on the outside. I have a set in the very front and they've held up.
Maybe I won't buy new ones and just install ice scratchers. They would of been in the way of the ice scratchers.

Yes same thing happened to mine in the exact same way except I actually lost one on the trail. Ordered another set and so far so good....I believe if you happen to take a direct impact on those wheels from a rock, log, stump or whatever the small screws that hold the block to the mounting bar are not strong enough. Mine will probably bend/break again it is just a matter of time. I haven't had a chance to look into reinforcing them.

Not sure the design is that robust.

CaptCaper said:
These were installed on my Attak around the middle of the rails as per Yamaha's instructions and on the outside. I have a set in the very front and they've held up.
Maybe I won't buy new ones and just install ice scratchers. They would of been in the way of the ice scratchers.

Run the scratches they work great. Put on a set of the stock wheels and mounts.

Make sure nothing is hitting them when the suspension compresses. I installed them at the front bend on my 07 RTX & when the suspension compressed the torsional spring that runs in between the rail & the inside of the outside wheel was ramming into the side of the marginal wheel mounting bracket. I cut a chunk out of the bracket to allow the spring to slide between the new wheel & the slide rail & red locktighted it as well. The mono skid won't have this particular problem but just make sure nothing else is coming in contact with the wheel & or bracket.

Run the scratches they work great. Put on a set of the stock wheels and mounts.[/quote]

Apex 06
Do You mean put a set of stock wheels and mounts in place of the marginal snow wheel kit? If can you lead me to a link with part numbers?

Thanks

CaptCaper said:
Run the scratches they work great. Put on a set of the stock wheels and mounts.

Apex 06
Do You mean put a set of stock wheels and mounts in place of the marginal snow wheel kit? If can you lead me to a link with part numbers?

Thanks[/quote]

Yeah the stock ones, like the ones that come with the sled. Should cost about 60 bucks with wheels and mounts. I would help you with the part numbers but I'm in the UP riding and using my phone. Lol can't miss out on TY.

Re: scratchers

4strokerpms said:
Which scratchers are u using. The rail ones or ski ones?

I use the rail one and mount them to the skis with a longer bolt. Works great

Attachments

• t_skis_179.jpg
    t_skis_179.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 632
CaptCaper said:
Anyone else have them bend out of wack? Last season the mounting bracket with the counter sunk holes bent out so the wheels were getting cocked out and tipping. I made new brackets and added a SS bolt threw the rail figureing it would strengthen the mount. I noticed yester the wheel was cocked. The bolt and bracket bent. I took them off.

Your pic there looks like the rail bed out of whitefield... I ride out of twin.. I bet your problem is the rail beds with the rails still in.. I have a friend that had the wheels and trashed his on the rails just one little bang off the rail and it bent them to hell... Iron Horse in twin did his in...

I'm a big guy and they probably did hit something. The wheels held up its the mounts. Better the mounts then the rails. I took them off.
Lot's of water bars here now as we just came back from a loop via Lancaster,Berlin,Gorham and back to Whitefield. Stay higher terrain and away from Whitefield,Lancaster.

Well I have run 2 sets of them on rx-1's and niether set made it through a season. There is just to much trama at the front bend of the rial for them to make it. the one sled both were gone in less than 500 miles and the other only went about 300 and lost one.

I would not waste the money on another set. Both sleds have simmons skis with the diverters on them and I have gotten over 3000 miles out of a set of hyfax on both.

They wear more in the rear between the outside wheels and the ineer wheels but once they wear to a point they don't go any further.

Yamadog said:
Well I have run 2 sets of them on rx-1's and niether set made it through a season. There is just to much trama at the front bend of the rial for them to make it. the one sled both were gone in less than 500 miles and the other only went about 300 and lost one.

I would not waste the money on another set. Both sleds have simmons skis with the diverters on them and I have gotten over 3000 miles out of a set of hyfax on both.

They wear more in the rear between the outside wheels and the ineer wheels but once they wear to a point they don't go any further.

Yamadog
The set I have up front in the bend I've had a few years and are fine. Its the set I put on just in front of the rear axle per Yamaha's instructions.

Captain caper

If the trails you ride look like your avatar no-wonder, but in the Yooper a groomed tail can have 3' whoopties for 50 miles and we run them at 80+mph trying to ride the tops. I have broken rails, many rear axles and until having weltracer do the mono upgrades would break at least 1 front W arm on the mono-shocks on each of the 05's a season.

Last season on a run up through bessemer the trails were so rough at over 80 mph I broke both rear mounting bolts in the mono suspension wiping out the rear axle, tearing up the track, destroying the exhaust pipe and both bearings on the drive shaft.

I ride bad trails too I just can't or won't beat the sled. The pic is there because it's so inviteing.LOL.
Between the cost and probably killing myself (I'm 62 years old) I don't ride hard.
I try to stay home weekends and ride during the week. More fun and relaxing. Trails are much much nicer of course.

Back