• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Metallic color in engine oil.

PatJRose

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro fx xtx
Hello guys! just wanted and few opinions on this. drained engine the engine oil today and found when the engine oil is swirled around there is and metallic color in it. also removed the suction screen and found on little metal flake. is my engine junk? is this some what normal? sled is a 2012 xtx with around 4000 miles.

thanks, guys!

is this its annual oil change?

how does filter look cut open?

Yes, I do an oil change every year before is start the season. i just cut the filter apart and found no metal shavings. I guess what I am most worried about is the metallic in the engine oil. if take a wire and sweal the oil around its got that metallic look to it.

i know i have gotten a chunk of casting flashing off of the suction screen in the oil tank on my 11 apex xtx at around 30000 km. got 36000 km on it now. i know i am bad at not cleaning out my drain pan regualrly and i drain outboard lower units quite a bit into it as well as chain cases and there is always a bit of silver coming out of those. if filter has no metal, i would be tempted to run it.

You mention 4000 miles on the sled. How many on the oil change?

I’m with Maim on this one, if the filter doesn’t have any metal bits present run her a bit and go from there.

It's an annual oil change. I do it before every season. This was the first time I noticed the metallic oil and the first time I have removed the suction screen. I have pulled the oil filter apart and found no metal shaving. I'm sorry the actual milage 3400. The metallic is to not bad, iv read that a little metallic is some what normal. Have you guys herd this or am I just being paranoid?

It's an annual oil change. I do it before every season. This was the first time I noticed the metallic oil and the first time I have removed the suction screen. I have pulled the oil filter apart and found no metal shaving. I'm sorry the actual milage 3400. The metallic is to not bad, iv read that a little metallic is some what normal. Have you guys herd this or am I just being paranoid

I'm with the other guys, some metallic fines is normal. I don't want to see shiny flakes if that makes any sense.

i made the pan cleaning mistake on the 11 this year. filter had a tiny bit of sludge in a few pleats. she is getting sent this weekend.

Thanks everyone. Going to let it rip if we ever get snow here in MN.

Back