• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mr Funnel, has anyone else used it?

DGZRT

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Vector shorty, 17 Shitdoo 1200X, 2000- pullmyass-340 for Grandkids
I bought one of these last year and forgot all about it until last night. I stopped at the local Kwik Trip Store and got 2 gallons of 91 octane non ethanol fuel . When I went to top off my sled I remembered the Funnel. So I put 2 gallons in and the filter trapped almost 5 oz of water. I put it into a clear container and set it out my back door and sure enough it was frozen this morning so I know it was mostly water.

I might just carry this with me from now on.

DGZRT

Attachments

• mr funnel.jpg
    mr funnel.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,338

Yes, I bought one last year for use with my race sled. I should really use it with my RMK as well since 2-strokes are so sensitive with fuel. I never worried about water in the gas with my Yamaha 4-strokes.

I remember hearing about them a few years ago but forgot all about them.

Definitely a great idea to carry with you or to use while filling up prior to your ride.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but would it fit in a saddle bag/trunk storage on your seat or is it too big?

The model I have is F3 about 5.5" Dia x 8.75" long .
I think I can Fit it in the Trunk of the Vector.

The problem I found with mine was the filter part inside did not go to the bottom of the funnel. There was always a bit in there that never had a chance to get through the filter screen. Are these ones like this?

I saw that to and think the idea is to provide a space for the water to settle out in. My filter is too big for me to carry around comfortably on the sled. I got mine mainly for use with gas jugs.

Gotta sound off on this one. I was given a sample, used it for a season at the cottage. Was impressed enough to bring it in house and we are now a distributor. Yamaha dealers in Canada have them available ether in stock or a coupla days from us. The small area beneath the filter is intentional, it's designed to give any solid 'crud', rust dirt etc. a place to live providing an additional margin of safety. The F3 would be pretty slick to have when pulling gas out of remote camp / resort tank or portable can... They work good! cr

If you're not lucky enough to have a Yamaha dealer close by, check an automotive parts store. I got mine at NAPA. I think it was under $10 but I don't remember for sure. It wasn't super spendy.

How much does it slow down the flow of gas through the filter? I am thinking that it would be fine for pouring into from a jug but how about at the pump?

I guess were lucky here, I always use it and NEVER get water in our gas...BUT it does work...sunk my 2 stroke personal watercraft (WetBikes) and got lots of water in the gas and would not run...used the funal and cleaned up the gas and then I reused the SAME gas...its works

Had about a 1.5 gal old metal funnel with a fine filter at the top of the neck for tractor gas on the farm. Gas (way prior to ethanol) was stored in an over head tank up in the ceiling joists of the machine shed. The funnel would collect water amounts depending on how much condensation had taken place in the metal overhead tank. These fine filters really do work! Oldies but goodies. RR

filter

Blue Dave said:
How much does it slow down the flow of gas through the filter? I am thinking that it would be fine for pouring into from a jug but how about at the pump?

Is it a PIA to regulate the flow from a gas station pump into one of these funnels?

Here's a link to the flow rate chart. Basically the F3 won't handle the full quirt from a pump it is more for portable. They make a big dual filter system for high flow pumps but wouldn't be the ticket for saddle-bagging it. Aside from sledding they are the bees knees for marine use (keep one in your boat)... cr

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

with gas having 10% ethanol content, how much water will you get?. nothing wrong with filtering fuel, but water in fuel these days seems to be a non issue. i have always kept my gas cans outside so that the water in the bottom would freeze, and you would catch it it the screen of any funnel. i havent seen that happen for years since ethanol gas came out. would be good for premium or stored gas with condensate.

Back