• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My exhaust extension

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Inspired by BombaPolaYama's mod:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
I finally got around to do my own. I found this nice dual tip that makes it look like a natural exhaust and not just an add-on.

Unlike Bomba's, I didn't wrap or cover my exhaust. Three reasons for this: I didn't want to have to deal with the heat on the rear deck, I don't have a lot of time and I also wanted to properly test the hydroscopic coating "Never Wet". I just wanted to have a cool look and get rid of "tunnel fog".

Attachments

• 20131205_163356 (Medium).jpg
    20131205_163356 (Medium).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 20131205_163427 (Medium).jpg
    20131205_163427 (Medium).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20131205_145344 (Medium).jpg
    20131205_145344 (Medium).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 20131205_151233 (Medium).jpg
    20131205_151233 (Medium).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 254

Nice job - looks good. I know it is hard to tell inside but did you have it running and did it sound differently? That flexible extension pipe looks awfully familiar! Hope it works for you with the spray as well.

Thanks! Still not enough snow here and I'm still working on my sled. Just running it in the garage, the exhaust noise seems to be lower but I'm getting a sheetmetal vibration noise somewhere. Hopefully it's not my mod. My driveshaft bearing was thrashed so hopefully that's it.

Hoping I'm done before the weekend. I'll post a pic of it running without tunnel fog!

It's been really good! I find the noise is less with no reverberation in the tunnel now. The Never Wet was a total failure as it accumulated a lot of snow. I'm probably going to have to put back that plastic piece with a notch cut out for the pipe.

No, not really. In fact, I think the snow accumulation is worse without the plastic piece. I haven't noticed anything for ice but that could be the Never Wet. Haven't really ridden enough yet to make a good evaluation.

That was also my experience (I think I posted some pics at the time). I believe another guy had success with just putting the plastic piece back in like you plan on trying. I still haven't put vents in the tunnel to let the heat escape. I'm a little concerned that by letting warm air out it may cause icing again - whatta you think? I'm not good at whatever science is involved here :tg:

I think the icing is caused by snow hitting the hot muffler and pipes, vaporizing it and then re-freezing instantly on the cold tunnel and parts, which is why it seems to happen more when it's very cold. I don't think that ambient warm air would be able to melt snow fast enough to do this, especially if the sled is moving and that air would move out fairly fast.

Thanks for the explanation - it makes sense now. This might be the year I finally put some vents in the tunnel to complete my mod ahah.

Just a little update. Still haven't put the plastic piece back for the snow accumulation but the last few times I rode it wasn't too bad. Probably weather conditions have to be right (or wrong) for this to happen. Haven't noticed a lot of ice. Again, probably conditions aren't there.

One benefit of where the exhaust is exiting is keeping the taillight clear. Since LED's don't produce any heat, they usually tend to get covered up with snow but not anymore.

Back