• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Strange exhaust sound and sputter

yamyrider

Hey all, I have a strange issue with my 2008 Apex RTX. When you put your hand by the exhaust it feels like your hand is being slapped.
You can hear the sound change in the video. I have 2 other Apex, 2007 and a 2009 that do not have this at all. It started at the end of last season after i changed front heat exchanger and exhaust donuts. Not sure if its related or not.
Have a look at the video and listen to the difference with a hand in front of exhaust.

Hello MrSled, I am thinking its a problem as the 2 other Apex do not make this sound and I do not feel this hand slap when I put my hand on exhaust of the other 2 Apex.

Hello MrSled, I am thinking its a problem as the 2 other Apex do not make this sound and I do not feel this hand slap when I put my hand on exhaust of the other 2 Apex.

Ok. maybe it has more pressure if you just did the exhaust gaskets. Hand slap from exhaust to me is not a test.

block the exhaust on your other two apexes and see if they stall out

Hey all, I have a strange issue with my 2008 Apex RTX. When you put your hand by the exhaust it feels like your hand is being slapped.
You can hear the sound change in the video. I have 2 other Apex, 2007 and a 2009 that do not have this at all. It started at the end of last season after i changed front heat exchanger and exhaust donuts. Not sure if its related or not.
Have a look at the video and listen to the difference with a hand in front of exhaust.

My 06 sounded like that once, and for a change,it wasnt donuts. The pipe cracked at the welds, fortunately on the stainless part. Wierd sound.

Here is an update of what I found. Along with the weird exhaust sound (hard to hear in video) I had a slight miss at idle. I went for a ride last night and the more I was on the throttle the less power I had and felt I was running on 3 cylinders. Took coils out to inspect. I don't have the manual to check the coil specs but the primary side has 1.2 ohms and I compared that to 2 other coils. The secondary side of this coil has 16.4k ohms and the 2 others I compared have 9.1k ohms. If I am testing the secondary winding properly. In any case this coil is bad.

Attachments

• 20230208_111132.jpg
    20230208_111132.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 60
When replacing the coils, I would highly recommend sticking with OEM and ensuring you get the correct ones as I have read where others have went aftermarket and either had issues with them working or had longevity issues with the replacement coil lasting.

Yup. Anything electrical go OEM.
I think they all have a slight miss at idle. 2 of mine did, including buds..

Back