• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Nytro RTX modification/setup review

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
Since purchasing the 2008 FX Nytro I've made many modifications in an attempt to improve the handling, ride and overall performance of the sled. In many ways Yamaha missed on giving us an out of the box ready to ride sled with proper clutching, suspension, front end geometry and suspension parts that don't prematurely wear out or fail. However, they did give us a great engine and platform with the potential to be a top performing trail sled. Yamaha has made minor changes to improve the Nytro but for the most part it has been up to us to make improvements that strengthen and improve the performance of this sled. We are very lucky to have a dedicated Yamaha site like TY with several very intelligent members sharing their knowledge/experience and also great aftermarket companies that provide us with quality replacement and performance parts. A big thanks to Tom, all the TY members and the aftermarket vendors for all their devotion to make Yamaha snowmobiles and this sport even better.

Over the past several years I have meet several Nytro owners that have struggled on these sleds. I've been able to help out some but others have given up and moved on. I recently ran into a dissatisfied Nytro owner out on the trail who is considering selling his sled and moving to something else. After discussing a few other sled and the issues with the Nytro I insured him it is possible to make the Nytro perform as good if not better than the other sleds out there. I think he was a bit skeptical so I offered to let him take mine down the trail for a comparison. When he returned he said "wow, I almost pissed my paints". He couldn't believe how well the Nytro can perform and is now reconsidering selling his.

With all that said I thought I'd post my current modifications and setup with the hopes it benefits a few of you.

2008 RTX with 7,000 miles:

Mods rated (1-10)

CurveXS (9): I tried several others skis. Compliments the Nytro well, wouldn't run anything else that's available at this point.
Curve Leading Edge (5): Ran without the first year, really didn't notice a difference but can't hurt having them installed on the Curves
Steering Post Relocate (10): A must, Better control and less fatigue. Yamaha missed on this!
08 Upper ball joint mod (6): If you're running a 2008 it's one of those things that adds up when combined with other mods.
Schmidt Bros Stage II (8): A bit pricy but an excellent improvement. Why didn't the the Nytro come setup this way from the factory?
Hygear Dual Rate Spring (8): Nice addition to the revalved center shock and extended track, I like the added crossover adjustment.
Hygear Torsion Spring Spacers (4): slight improvement, an inexpensive mod that also adds up when combined with other mods.
Pioneer revalve (8): definitely takes some of the harshness out of the ride
Fox EVOL upgrade (4): somewhat disappointed but maybe I need to play with pressures more. A bit pricy for little improvement.
128" Ice Attack XT (9): There may be better tracks out there but I like the prestudded track for the trails and it really hooks up well.
136" Ice Attack XT (10): replaced the 128" after it was damaged and installed a 4" Tracks USA rail and their 136" tunnel extension (skid was previous relocated for a 128" track). I don't think I'd ever go back to a shorty.
Star 128" relocate Kit (10): If you're changing tracks spend the extra and install the 128". Really helps over the rough trail.
Tunnel protector plate (9): Installed a tunnel close off plate but it did very little to decrease icing so I installed an additional aluminum plate between the tunnel protectors rails. Very little icing now.
HID's with antiglare shield mod (8): nice illumination but not a must unless you ride a lot at night like I do.
Trailtank (6): a must if fuel stops are sparse, the tank could use some improvements which I think they are working on.
MTX cooler (10): If your Temp light comes on often this will cure the problem. Haven't seen the light since installation, should be stock.
Mountaintech skid plate (10): A must have, heat exchanger and engine replacement is far more expensive, saved me a few times without a doubt.
GrizzGusset (10): I bent 3 frames in two years but haven't bent one since the install.
135" idler wheel replacement with one extra set toward the rear (10): 2,000 miles with no noticeable hyfax wear.
upbushman premium spindle bushing kit: (10) over 3,000 miles and still tight. pricy but I think they may outlast the sled.
Hygear Slycast arms (--): installed these on my 2008 RTX but found they are to short for the lower 2008 a-arms. Even with shims behind the upper ball joint as directed by Hygear, I had to much negative camber. They are built well, look good and should work very well on the 09+ sleds.
Mountaintech trail arms 43" +2 (8): Started with the prototypes a-arms and then the production arms. There's a lot of adjustment in these arms which allow for fine tuning but you need to have good mechanical skills and a knowledge of how caster and camber effects handling.

Front Float pressure: 55psi main and 150 in the EVOL reservoir.
Center shock: compression 3 clicks CW, rebound 6 clicks CCW (looking down from the top).
Rear shock: compression 2 clicks CW, rebound 6 clicks CCW (looking down from top)
Limit strap: rear full length and front shortened one hole.

Last edited:

This is one of the reasons why I this site is so good, all the knowledgeable members and the helpful tips.

I was one of those guys! As you can see this is my first post. I picked up a bone stock nytro 3 weeks ago. I did a lot of researching and "lurking" on this site which assisted me in making the decision to purchase. I put almost 350 miles on it this weekend after just a few adjustments and tricks learned right here! I will be pretty satisfied after the steering post is relocated.

I would like to thank all the members on this site!

How about the under tunnel diy ice block off plate? Think I want to try that next. Sick of icing! Thanks

Grizz I see you gave the trail tank a 6 out of ten, can you embellish a little on that? I just installed one on my xtx, I thought the fit and finish was great, it went in very easy and looks great. I did use longer dzus fasteners though.

I just got mine and is sitting in the box. Same with roll over tether, stater saver, copper doughnuts and cr-10ek plugs and same with marginal snow wheel kit. Slowly plugging away! Thanks for adding that Grizz. I plan to do that eventually. Same with wet left foot fix etc. Lots to do still.

Going to try your suspension adjustments also and tweak from there. As we have same sled but mine is extended to 136. Also I only weight like 150.

Grizz I see you gave the trail tank a 6 out of ten, can you embellish a little on that? I just installed one on my xtx, I thought the fit and finish was great, it went in very easy and looks great. I did use longer dzus fasteners though.

I have an earlier version that came with thumb screws which I hated and was forced to look for alternatives. It also has a poor venting location that spits gas if you top off the tank. even with the vent line rerouted it still has issues. I've never had some of the other problems that have been reported and I know improvements have been made like being able to use dzus fasteners but my version still gets a rating of 6.

With that said, I'm one of those that needs the extra fuel and I believe these tanks, although not perfect, are the best option available.

Going to try your suspension adjustments also and tweak from there. As we have same sled but mine is extended to 136. Also I only weight like 150.

Mine is now a 136". I went from a 128" with a Star relocate to a 136" with a star relocate and 4" rail extension. I've also installed an Ohlins center shock after the stock RTX shock blew apart. I really liked the stock shock with a dual rate springs but wasn't going to take a chance on another failure.

Mine is now a 136". I went from a 128" with a Star relocate to a 136" with a star relocate and 4" rail extension. I've also installed an Ohlins center shock after the stock RTX shock blew apart. I really liked the stock shock with a dual rate springs but wasn't going to take a chance on another failure.
U like the 136 better? I want one piece rails really. Not sure what my extensions are as they came on sled. Got your dual rate springs still? What other Nytro parts U got laying around? Must have a pile of them? Nature of the beast usually.

How did your suspension settings change after the longer track was added? What state do you ride in?

Back