• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need a Fuel Pump Relay ASAP Yamaha 8FP-81950-01

I have a call to jump onto but check your fuses. There is definitely both a fuse and a relay that latch off of the ignition circuit.

I have a call to jump onto but check your fuses. There is definitely both a fuse and a relay that latch off of the ignition circuit.
I had a spare ignition switch and swapped that out. It continued to do the same thing. I checked my fuses (with the exception of the one on the starter relay) and none are blown. I was hoping not to have to pull the air cleaner because it's such a pain to get back on, but it looks like I will have to.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that the starter and positive battery cables are on the wrong terminals on the starter relay. It makes sense that it wouldn't power the fuel pump if I have the wrong cable on the wrong terminal.

I will check it out after work if the weather isn't too awful.

If the sled shuts off after you let go of the key (it starts, you let go as normal) the key switch is not staying in the latched position. That would either be a connection, or a main relay or some niggling fuse somewhere. I have a schematic for an attak here somewhere, I will have a look.
Turns out that I installed the cables to the wrong posts when I replaced the starter relay.

I had been on an RX1 forever and changed the starter relays on it several times. But since it has a mechanical fuel pump, it doesn't matter which cable goes to which post on the starter relay.

On the Apex, the electric fuel pump is fed by the starter relay, so if you have the cables on the wrong posts, you only feed power to the fuel pump when you are turning the starter over. So it will run when you are turning it over, and for a few seconds after you release the key, then die.

Had I known that the fuel pump was on that circuit, it would have been easy to figure out. I assumed the fuel pump was on a designated circuit and it was stumping me.

Easy fix (other than it was windy and 35 degrees with heavy rain when I fixed it), just switched the cables to the opposite posts on the starter relay. Now that I know that it matters which cable goes to which post on the Apex, it won't be a problem again.

Back