• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need to settle something....

snowhite

Pro
Country
Canada
Hey guys' been seriously looking at hygear rear skid update, but which parts do a I go with to give me satisfaction on my sled and riding? My sled is an 2015 STXDX 141" so on there site I can go with a linkage, then I can go with linkage and air reservoir, then I can go with just a air reservoir on my original fox air shock, then I can go with their pro zero coil over shock custom valved and sprung, or their axis custom shock air reservoir upgrade! Ha got you guys' 'eh? So what I need to know is who out there in our sled world has gone with JUST the air reservoir on the original shock and did they install the linkage also and the results, or the way I want to go is with the pro zero custom tuned shock with linkage? I have been emailing them(hygear) but am confused on their answers and have been waiting on their tech team to phone me.... I need real world answers from you guys'.

We had a 2013 XF1100 Turbo we bought used for a one season before trading it in for a Sidewinder. The sled had the linkage and remote reservoir, and it definitely rode and handled very different from my stock Viper XTX. It definitely was an improvement on the rough trails. I wanted a smoother ride on my XTX, but I didn't want to modify the uncoupled suspension, so I went with Fox QS3 coil over shocks on the rear skid. I think I have a better ride, and I can adjust to conditions. Last year I saw a new Sidewinder XTX on the dealer's floor that had the QS3 shocks all the way around, so Yamaha, at least, has decided to put good coil-overs on its premium models. But good coil overs are expensive! The bottom line is that any of the upgrades you mentioned will probably make a difference in the stock suspension, it is just a question of what you are trying to accomplish, and how much you want to spend to do it. My guess is that the least expensive improvement would be adding the Hygear remote reservoir, and maybe sending your shock out to Cannondale to tweak. (I added the Hygear reservoirs to my XTX's front Float 3's, and I think that they made a big difference.)

Well for sure I am looking at cost for sure on the parts, but I ride mainly open lake and not so well groomed bush trails which can be very bumpy at times. What's happening with my original setup is I have to pump up that shock to at least 150 lbs., so it doesn't bottom out on the trails then on the lake it'll buck me like a brahma bull when it hits a snow drift! So what I am looking at is do I go change the linkage, which you said you didn't want to unlock the skid,WHY? Also hygear says they recommend the coil over shock for those who don't want to regularly change settings(air pressure) as in the air shock that my sled has.I just want a ride that won't hurt my back, absorb those bumps, and keep within a reasonable cost range.

I felt like my XTX was a buckboard with the stock Float rear shock, and I got really beaten up on rough trails. The QS3 coil overs don't beat me up anywhere near as much, but they don't provide the same ride quality I get on my LTX with a coupled suspension. I didn't have the chance to do a direct side by side comparison of my XTX (with coil overs) and the Cat with the Hygear linkage, so I can't give you an informed opinion on which was better at absorbing the bumps.

Thanks Wannaviper I talked to hygear tech today actually gave me some great information on where I want to begin with the ride upgrade. It's the same problem I find that when we as consumers buy a BrandNew product we're always spending hundreds of extra dollars on improvements later to get what we wanted in the first place, new and improved! But I guess everyone has their greasy little fingers into it all! Just my opinion.

Thanks Wannaviper I talked to hygear tech today actually gave me some great information on where I want to begin with the ride upgrade. It's the same problem I find that when we as consumers buy a BrandNew product we're always spending hundreds of extra dollars on improvements later to get what we wanted in the first place, new and improved! But I guess everyone has their greasy little fingers into it all! Just my opinion.

Always best way to go. Ross at Hygear knows his stuff.

I agree, and I think that is especially true of us as snowmobilers, so I don't think it is a fault of Yamaha's per se. For as long as I can remember, anybody who was serious about the sport has had their own ideas about how they want their sled to ride and perform, and what mods they want to make to get it there, not to mention making it look "cooler" than the next guy's sled. We all have different height, weight, age, athleticism, ability, experience, riding styles, riding preferences, and areas to ride. A manufacturer can't make the perfect sled that meets everyone's wants and desires straight out of the box. I ended up with two sleds because I don't think it is possible for one sled to do it all really well. My XTX takes me off trail, or anyplace else my ability allows when I am feeling adventurous, and my LTX gives me the smooth ride that eats up lots of miles when I just want to cover some ground and enjoy the ride.

I agree, and I think that is especially true of us as snowmobilers, so I don't think it is a fault of Yamaha's per se. For as long as I can remember, anybody who was serious about the sport has had their own ideas about how they want their sled to ride and perform, and what mods they want to make to get it there, not to mention making it look "cooler" than the next guy's sled. We all have different height, weight, age, athleticism, ability, experience, riding styles, riding preferences, and areas to ride. A manufacturer can't make the perfect sled that meets everyone's wants and desires straight out of the box. I ended up with two sleds because I don't think it is possible for one sled to do it all really well. My XTX takes me off trail, or anyplace else my ability allows when I am feeling adventurous, and my LTX gives me the smooth ride that eats up lots of miles when I just want to cover some ground and enjoy the ride.
Well said so true. I have 2 for my needs and off trail bug has bit me. See a third soon!

is it sad when my short track sled is a 136" track?

as to the air shock debate, this season will make up my mind on it. trying some settings on the one in the single shot to see if i will be happy with it before going the hygear route or if i get pissed enough to put a ck skid into it.

is it sad when my short track sled is a 136" track?

as to the air shock debate, this season will make up my mind on it. trying some settings on the one in the single shot to see if i will be happy with it before going the hygear route or if i get pissed enough to put a ck skid into it.

It is funny how things have changed over the years. I never thought of my old Polaris Indy's as "short tracks," but now I have gotten so used to my 137" & 141" tracks that my stepson's 129" RTX seems too short.

Back