• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New skis - any suggestions?

driftbuster

Extreme
I't time for new skis on my '05 warrior. Other than 96 picks down the center, it is stock. Although funds are not unlimited, I don't mind spending more to get more. I ride mostly trails, so I don't necessarily need deep snow skis. What do you all recommend?

Thanks

well i do not have studs on mine but i really am likeing the curve xs skis i have on my sled atm. shure they are a bit more money but so far they are worth it and they float better than the stockers.

Arrow skis for trail riding all the way. They are amazing.
I just bought an apex that was beat, when you jack the front end up, you can move the bottom of the spindle over 2inches front to back and side to side. handle bars would move about 3inches before they would bring up with sled on ground. I paid the guy for the sled, went outside and installed Arrow skis on it and we went riding. After shimming them to make up for the spindle twisting, I could ride the sled way over the 100 mark with no darting, ride next to someone, pass, no darting what so ever. sled went where you pointed it.

looking back, after jacking the sled, seeing the front end was wasted and other suspension issues, I think it would have been best if I had left the sled and rode a different one for the day. amazing how bad some people let their ride get.

anybody having problems with wearing out carbides early,have been adj. my limit straps in the front of the skid but cant find a happy middle,any help would be cool :o|

driftbuster said:
I't time for new skis on my '05 warrior. Other than 96 picks down the center, it is stock. Although funds are not unlimited, I don't mind spending more to get more. I ride mostly trails, so I don't necessarily need deep snow skis. What do you all recommend?

Thanks

I'm very pleased with my curve xs's. Control and predictability are the things I wanted, with darting somewhat lesser...although they do a great job with darting with a single shaper bar, but the control and fun factor is very high...I can literally take corners flatter and faster than ever, in a wider safety margin. And they look indestructable.

I went with the simmons flex ski, and am VERY happy! I didn't use the stock runners the ski's came with i put on stud boy shapers (6" carbide on all 4).
I am sure anything is better then stock !

Slydog skis are nice, and the price is right too. Curve skis can run well over $500 after carbides and mounting hardware. They're great skis but definetly a premium price, and for just recreational trail riding probably a bit overkill unless you ride like a maniac.

Slydog trail skis run $325, and that includes a 4" carbide and mounting hardware. If you want custom mixed or pattern colors, it's $350. Great value. Much better cornering from stock.

Yep, pretty much ANYTHING is better than the stock. Yamaha skis are garbage.

RaWarrior said:
Slydog skis are nice, and the price is right too. Curve skis can run well over $500 after carbides and mounting hardware. They're great skis but definetly a premium price, and for just recreational trail riding probably a bit overkill unless you ride like a maniac.
quote]

You mean maniac in a good way, eh? ;)!

Thanks to all you "repliers". I have 4 options to explore now. And by the way, I stopped "riding like a maniac" a last year when I turned 55. Now I ride much more sanely, although I still pass most people I come up on.

I went w/ the C&A's. Great trail ski. No darting, steers where I want to. And gives the sled some much neede floatation in the fluff.

Of I have the XT Pros. A little aggresive for most but Great control. The Razors are much more tail friendly.

Get-em from Rich Motorsports and its free shipping. Can't beat that

Patrick #1 Yamaha Fan said:
I went with the simmons flex ski, and am VERY happy! I didn't use the stock runners the ski's came with i put on stud boy shapers (6" carbide on all 4).
I am sure anything is better then stock !
I have not mounted my Simmons yet, but I can't imagine anything turning on a dime better than these.

I have simmons and to be honest they are nto the best thing ever like I read. My old mans vector with stock skis and bergstroms, shimmed, handles the trails every bit as good as mine and turns easier. If your not in the powder much and trail riding is your thing I would look into the kimpex skis BTV is reccomending they are cheaper and he knows his stuff on what works and what doesn't.

The curves looks nice but way to expensive for a set of skis, even if they do everything they say $500+ after your all done seems extreme. I bought my simmons used for a song and like I said they work nice on the trails, but steer hard at slow speeds and dont float very good in the ditches.

Any ski just make sure to shim it properly and make sure your front end is tight.

Back