• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New sled shopping - need some advice/opinions

Thomas Hood

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX-SE
Morning folks,

Looking for some advice/opinions/experience here. Currently riding a 99 Mountain Max 700, but the old girls just not comfortable enough for me any more, and the wife refuses to ride my "very fast brick". So I've been given the greenlight to shop new.

Local dealer has a 2015 Viper LTX-SE for a pretty decent deal, but I'm concerned that the 1.25" track won't do what I need.

I'm 75% trail, 25% off trail - mostly for ice fishing, so I need to boondock/break trail a fair bit. I'm in NorthEastern Ontario, so we have decent powder, but its not the mountains.

Is the 1.25 going to do it for me, or am I going to spend a lot of time bitching. Should I see what getting them to slap a 1.75 on is going to cost - keeps a decent balance between trail/off-trail, and is still studdable, which is 100% a necessity around here.

As a secondary - how do people find the ride with the two-up seat on? The wife won't ride with me a ton, but every now and then she might. How does the Viper compare to say the skidoo rMotion, which I've ridden on and its pretty damned nice.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have the STX Dx 137 with 1.6 Cobra. I ride about the same ratio of trail/break trail as you. I cant really speak about the 1.25 on the viper. The 1.6 on my sled is definitely better deep soft snow then my buddies polaris Pro S with the 1.25. Problem with my cobra 1.6 is I've been told I can't stud it. But it is a nice track for trail and deep stuff.

I have the Yamaha two up seat that I take the kids for a ride with. Attaches easily to the already installed bumper on my sled with 4 bolts. I have heard the Kimpex 2 up seat goes on easier and the bumper isn't necessary. Me and my 13 year old bottom out (I'm about 290 dressed and she is almost 5'10" now) My 10 year old and I never bottem out. I had stiffer rear springs installed for 2 up riding but the ride alone was terrible, way too stiff.
I just bought my 13 year old a sled of her own and ride with 10 year old with no problems on the original springs.

Love my Viper, good luck with your decision.

I have the STX Dx 137 with 1.6 Cobra. I ride about the same ratio of trail/break trail as you. I cant really speak about the 1.25 on the viper. The 1.6 on my sled is definitely better deep soft snow then my buddies polaris Pro S with the 1.25. Problem with my cobra 1.6 is I've been told I can't stud it. But it is a nice track for trail and deep stuff.

I have the Yamaha two up seat that I take the kids for a ride with. Attaches easily to the already installed bumper on my sled with 4 bolts. I have heard the Kimpex 2 up seat goes on easier and the bumper isn't necessary. Me and my 13 year old bottom out (I'm about 290 dressed and she is almost 5'10" now) My 10 year old and I never bottem out. I had stiffer rear springs installed for 2 up riding but the ride alone was terrible, way too stiff.
I just bought my 13 year old a sled of her own and ride with 10 year old with no problems on the original springs.

Love my Viper, good luck with your decision.

Darn, the bottoming out concerns me. I'm a big guy (probably 300+ dressed for riding), so between myself and the wife I might have problems then. Were you able to adjust the shocks enough to not bottom out, or was that at their stiffest and it was still happening?

Thanks for replying, appreciate it!

The viper is definitely not an ideal two up machine. With the stiffer springs you will be fine with two people. But riding alone is like driving a meat wagon.
My 13 year old is is probably about 150 she's very tall and me at 290 dressed. I set it at the highest spring rate and we will bottom out periodically. Not every bump but once in a while. Obviously with higher speed comes bigger bounces.
I cannot recommend using the viper as a two up sled unless you upgrade the rear springs.
I also happen to have my stiffer springs for sale lol.

You may want to keep shopping for an XTX, and get the 141 track with 1.6 lug. I think that would work better in NE Ontario off trail, and they work great on trail as well. Prices are more than fair, and there's plenty for sale, including low mileage used. I saw one with about 1800 km on it in Sudbury a few weeks ago for $9k.

As for the seat, I'd take the Rototek over the OEM. Nicer fastening system, and enough storage for a helmet. Heated grips as well, but it's a couple hundred less than Yamaha. Having said that, the 2 up seat is going to hurt. They are outrageously expensive.

I think you could do the rear shock with some sort of dual rate spring if you looked into it with suspension guys. Probably a couple hundred bucks there and you're good.

All in you could have a properly suspended 2 up Viper XTX used for under $11k I bet.

For what it's worth...I ride the Venture MP. She gets to around 80-82mph on a good day, lots of torque down low, great on gas, soaks up bumps, hauls anything...including other sleds. The tuner skis are crap, but the rest of the sled is cushy when it needs to be, and a hauler when needed. There are youtube videos of it plowing through the powder...i know there are trappers that use them, and personally, I really enjoy mine for under $10,000US. I considered the expedition sport with the 900ace, but am glad I went with Yamaha.

If you want to do 2 up you might consider the Pantera Longer track yet, plus extended fuel capacity.

As for tracks the 1.6 ice Cobra seems to work well for us. I put it on the Renegade with the 900 ACE. The ACE is a really nice engine and great on fuel...

I have the stx dx 146 with a 1.25 track. excellent all around machine for on or off trail, it also made for 2 up riding.

Back