• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Supercharger

nytrozula

Expert
I just bought a new MPI supercharger(180hp) from a dealer looking to dump inventory for $2000. The deal seemed to good to pass up. the same dealer has a new turbo as well for the same price if anyone is interested. It looks like i'll be installing this soon so I was hoping someone could tell me how complex this installation is and if there are any "don't forgets" or "be sure to do this" type of things.

Do a google search for MPI supercharger install - there is a guy on another forum that did a step by step install and took pictures of everything.

That should be everything you need.

First read trough the instructions from MPI, after that you just follow them step by step. You need to have a good set of tools and some special ones like hole saw ect. If you get in to trouble just shoot me a question and i try to help.

nytrozula said:
I just bought a new MPI supercharger(180hp) from a dealer looking to dump inventory for $2000. The deal seemed to good to pass up. the same dealer has a new turbo as well for the same price if anyone is interested. It looks like i'll be installing this soon so I was hoping someone could tell me how complex this installation is and if there are any "don't forgets" or "be sure to do this" type of things.

I just picked one up a kit too. I'm going to do my install this summer as it is a pretty big task. I have been advised to allow for 12-16 hours to install. Basically the installation required stripping down the entire sled, so I am going to be doing other PM work like new front end bushings, copper donuts, dupont slides, etc. I am pretty pumped to run it next winter. What are you doing for gauges? I really like the layout and design of the Koso X2 but it seems that a few people on here had bad experiences.

I bought some AEN gauges and a mounting bracket from Hurricane Performance. I test drive a turbo sled today for first time and now I really can't wait til next year. Now I see what everyone means when they say it is addicting. Ill be installing it in the next few weeks after I get my shop ready (I just moved). The turbo sled I rode was rated at 210hp. Hopefully ill be satisfied with 180.if not, what is the highest you can go with the MPI supercharger oem kit and still run pump fuel?

nytrozula said:
I bought some AEN gauges and a mounting bracket from Hurricane Performance. I test drive a turbo sled today for first time and now I really can't wait til next year. Now I see what everyone means when they say it is addicting. Ill be installing it in the next few weeks after I get my shop ready (I just moved). The turbo sled I rode was rated at 210hp. Hopefully ill be satisfied with 180.if not, what is the highest you can go with the MPI supercharger oem kit and still run pump fuel?

Depends if you have a head shim. If not and you want to run pump gas only
I wouldn't go any higher than 6lbs boost. IMO all boosted sleds should run
Octane booster as a minimum. I have ran the same turbo kit for six years
On a stock rx with 6 to 14 lbs of boost..... Always running a mix of race gas and or
Quality octane booster like klotz or torco depending on boost#

With a head shim you can run pump gas premium up to 14-15 lbs so I'm told.
Personally I would still use octane booster.... I don't believe in running the ragged edge
When it comes to octane.....
M2c

Re ; 210 hp.... You are in trouble now because you can't ever go back
with boost only forward
Now you will need more than 210.......180 just won't cut it..... Well, it will but; you will always remember the 210 while thinking about 240.........or more.

Boost is an opiate..... You should need a prescription to get some.

Barry

Yeah, I knew I was in trouble. I guess I'll have to settle for 180 because I just can't see how I'll be able to get race fuel out on the trails. I'll look into the head shim solution and see if that is the answer. Hopefully!

I din my first year on 6psi... thats what it takes to get you hooked so for this year i went for a head shim, intercooler, mcx fuel system. Runs strong now on 10-13 lbs of boost @ sea level and pump gas.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pullies have to be installed in a very special manner, look it up on MPI site. If you just bolt them on and tighten they WILL come loose. Both MPI sleds I had bought that someone else built (1 was a dealer) came loose. I installed new pullies correctly and never another problem.

Ntyrozula I know this is off topic but I just wanted to say Hi. I enjoyed meeting and riding with you and your buddy at the giveaway ride. lets try and get together again next year. Good luck with the charger install. Talk with you later. Kenan

The Nytro install isn't as difficult or time consuming as the Apex kit, but don't just look at the pictures... Read the entire manual first and ask any questions before you start, it'll save you some headaches later. Be organized, take pics and be patient. It'll pay off in the end!

I put the (had it installed) the MPI 190 kit on my Viper. Had issues with dropping cylinders and it was fun but not worth the money in my opinion. - installed boost and AFR gauges and found out they installed it at 4lbs of boost. pushed it to 6 (true 190 hp) and it was funner!! Then it blew up at 867 miles (long story) New block, carillo rods, wiseco low comp pistons, upgraded fuel pump and new quick spool wastegate!!

Switched originally at 7 and 11 lbs WOW CRAZY. I now am at 6 lbs and 9 on the switch for motor safety (octane) but I can turn the wick up to 12 for special occasions (like suicide). At 9 lbs during the day and 6 at night cause I have no self control!!!! I cry a bit when I turn it back to 6.

At 9lbs from launch to 103 the skis never touch the ground. (saves on carbides) Launch is crazy, pulls the skis 1' out to 40 mph and then they start going to the sky. It starts to drop the nose at 90 and they set down just over 100.

As far as the fuel pumps go I have heard all kinds of things like not enough fuel at over 6lbs. In the Viper it is a CAT pump so not sure what the flow rate is vs the Nytro pump but all I can say is go big!!

well said Yamadog....LMFAO at your story and choice of words!
and you are bang on the money............
Barry

This is not an easy install! I talked with Matt at MPI and have decided to send the ECU in for remapping. The remap will allow teh supercharger to run up to 8 lbs on pump fuel safely. Fairly inexpensive upgrade I figure. After talking with Matt, I feel really good about buying one of his products. What a nice guy and very informative. Anyhow, the 8 lbs should be just right for a trailable sled, at least for a few weeks!

ghost rider said:
well said Yamadog....LMFAO at your story and choice of words!
and you are bang on the money............
Barry

Thanks Ghost - it is not often that I am accused of being correct :o|

Back