• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Top Speed

On hard pack snow the best my Attak has done on the GPS was 108mph but more typically around 103-105mph then just hits a wall.
Same sled and same setup on icy road has run 118mph on the gps.
It has always frustrated me how my Attak won't "Wind Out" on snow.

On hard pack snow the best my Attak has done on the GPS was 108mph but more typically around 103-105mph then just hits a wall.
Are your rpm's down on snow compared to ice, what track are you running?

Same can be said about 800's and 850's.
Only sleds with huge raw horsepower can pull those numbers on snow. Enter T-Cat and Winder, or in other words.....TURBO's!

high speed on the lakes maybe for me. but hit a deer at 120 on the trail good luck to you . not to mention any people on sleds . cant ride when your dead. to each his own i guess.

Same can be said about 800's and 850's.
Only sleds with huge raw horsepower can pull those numbers on snow. Enter T-Cat and Winder, or in other words.....TURBO's!
Last year, when my avatar pic was taken, you can see a bit of loose snow on the trail and temps were above freezing. I gps'd 116 with the low gearing and 8DN belt. I heard the pop, pop, pop so I knew I had hit the limiter at 9600 and it was tapped.
However, with higher gearing it would have went faster that same day.

Are your rpm's down on snow compared to ice, what track are you running?

I am usually on my Winder now but my Attak would always beat the 850 Renegades I ride with in a drag race and top speed.
I have run a RipSaw 2 and now an Ice Attak with no significant difference on top speed, but the Ripsaw 2 was definitely better off trail...I actually regret removing the RipSaw 2
Rpms are always consistent.
Pc5 ignition module
Pc5 fuel controller
PC Autotune
Pod 300 for data logging ect
Stock exhaust
ect ect

I don't dispute any of that. All I'm saying is that with 30 additional horsepower and a primary setup for OD, the sled ought to run faster is similar conditions. I'll say that it was probably 10-15 degree's warmer yesterday than on my previous run. So yes, NOT exactly the same.
What were your shift rpm,s all my apes needed to rev 10,700 and even 11,000 some times to make good top speed.

Run it in am same spot when its safe around sun rise. As stubby said conditions play a huge part in it. Make sure track is tight.

Been ridin the last couple days so haven't had time to respond. The sled would shift out at about 10,600, run strong up to about 125mph (speedo) than rpm's drop slightly to 10,500 or so than struggle to see 129-130. I had changed the washer setup in the supertips last year to keep the shiftout lower, according to max hp on the dyno which was about 10,3-10,4. I'm just baffled that it runs so strong up to a certain point than levels off so quickly.

Don't really have the time or resources currently to experiment with clutching or gearing, and the temps have been fairly stable in the lower to mid twenties. I think the only way it would show higher numbers in its current setup would be to get it on ice in colder conditions. The paved road I've been running on is VERY hardpacked, almost ice, so, I still believe that something else is limiting the speed. Could be a combination of things.

Anyway, gave it a shot, didn't workout as hoped. Still runs very well in trail form, don't know if I want to alter my setup just for a few mph, that I don't see very often.

Haven't had a chance to run up against any winders yet. Didn't see any for a few days, and when I did they were all going the other way. Still have a day left so, we'll see.

The trail conditions aren't what I'm used to riding up here in the UP. Some good trails but, most are very rough. Been taking quite a beating, and the suspension is showing its age. Had a chance to ride a buds 2017 Renegade 600 etec. Was VERY impressed with how plush the ride was and how well it pulled for a 600. Was also extremely quiet. The only thing I didn't like was the front end felt a little too light and twitchy. And it doesn't carve corners like mine does. Maybe something that could be adjusted out.

Anyway, I have a feeling the Ape's days may be numbered. Even if I were to keep it another season or 2, I really can't justify sinking any $$$ for additional mods. I still like the sled but, the rear suspension just isn't what I would like it to be. Have tried many different combo's with only limited success. After a day of riding with people on newer lighter 2-strokes my butt is kicked and they don't understand why I'm so wooped.

Starting to weigh my options for next season.

Been ridin the last couple days so haven't had time to respond. The sled would shift out at about 10,600, run strong up to about 125mph (speedo) than rpm's drop slightly to 10,500 or so than struggle to see 129-130. I had changed the washer setup in the supertips last year to keep the shiftout lower, according to max hp on the dyno which was about 10,3-10,4. I'm just baffled that it runs so strong up to a certain point than levels off so quickly.

Don't really have the time or resources currently to experiment with clutching or gearing, and the temps have been fairly stable in the lower to mid twenties. I think the only way it would show higher numbers in its current setup would be to get it on ice in colder conditions. The paved road I've been running on is VERY hardpacked, almost ice, so, I still believe that something else is limiting the speed. Could be a combination of things.

Anyway, gave it a shot, didn't workout as hoped. Still runs very well in trail form, don't know if I want to alter my setup just for a few mph, that I don't see very often.

Haven't had a chance to run up against any winders yet. Didn't see any for a few days, and when I did they were all going the other way. Still have a day left so, we'll see.

The trail conditions aren't what I'm used to riding up here in the UP. Some good trails but, most are very rough. Been taking quite a beating, and the suspension is showing its age. Had a chance to ride a buds 2017 Renegade 600 etec. Was VERY impressed with how plush the ride was and how well it pulled for a 600. Was also extremely quiet. The only thing I didn't like was the front end felt a little too light and twitchy. And it doesn't carve corners like mine does. Maybe something that could be adjusted out.

Anyway, I have a feeling the Ape's days may be numbered. Even if I were to keep it another season or 2, I really can't justify sinking any $$$ for additional mods. I still like the sled but, the rear suspension just isn't what I would like it to be. Have tried many different combo's with only limited success. After a day of riding with people on newer lighter 2-strokes my butt is kicked and they don't understand why I'm so wooped.

What track are you using?

I was always in denial of how dated my Attak was becoming until I purchased my Winder.
The Apexs are still great sleds especially with the numerous updates most of us have done to them, but they are not in the same league as the newer modern chassis sleds.
I kept my Attak but it just sits while I ride my Sidewinder unless riding with my wife as then she rides the Winder and I ride my Attak.
All good things eventually do come to an end.
JM.02c

I'm not defending the apex but you know I'm a ape lover. For me the SC sled which uses the stock tank but having a performance suspension like the ZX2 made the sled so much more fun to drive. Its heads and tails ahead of the mono. THEN I got the turbo, which makes a significant change, moving the fuel back, this is CRITICAL IMO. I think the 'wooped feeling' from riding a ape is where the fuel sits stock. After I corner balanced my sled and focused on matching a pro ski weight (135lbs - see my garage thread if your curious on this) the sled drove easier then any ski doo I rode (all my buds have doos). Even they couldn't argue that. It was amazing. Not trying to sway you on saving the ape but IF you think you want to try it, look into a doo XP tank and seat combo. It saves significant weight and moves the fuel weight to a better location. Every new sled has the fuel under and behind the rider. Looking back if I had to rank the effects from 1-10. I would say the ZX2 was a 7/8 and the fuel tank was a STRONG 10. I actively searched for whooped out trails, it was amazing how the sled would skip and hop seemingly effortlessly over them. Now this is performance riding/driving, I was not sitting on the seat and trying to cruise over them like a cloud, that would be M20 air territory. I was riding it like I stole it with a huge smile the whole time. I felt a XRS 850 was a lumber wagon in the same trail.

Just my $0.02 keep in mind this is a 330hp, custom suspension, sled ultra light compared to stock. Doesn't apply to a stock suspension, and weight sled. Good luck!

I'm not defending the apex but you know I'm a ape lover. For me the SC sled which uses the stock tank but having a performance suspension like the ZX2 made the sled so much more fun to drive. Its heads and tails ahead of the mono. THEN I got the turbo, which makes a significant change, moving the fuel back, this is CRITICAL IMO. I think the 'wooped feeling' from riding a ape is where the fuel sits stock. After I corner balanced my sled and focused on matching a pro ski weight (135lbs - see my garage thread if your curious on this) the sled drove easier then any ski doo I rode (all my buds have doos). Even they couldn't argue that. It was amazing. Not trying to sway you on saving the ape but IF you think you want to try it, look into a doo XP tank and seat combo. It saves significant weight and moves the fuel weight to a better location. Every new sled has the fuel under and behind the rider. Looking back if I had to rank the effects from 1-10. I would say the ZX2 was a 7/8 and the fuel tank was a STRONG 10. I actively searched for whooped out trails, it was amazing how the sled would skip and hop seemingly effortlessly over them. Now this is performance riding/driving, I was not sitting on the seat and trying to cruise over them like a cloud, that would be M20 air territory. I was riding it like I stole it with a huge smile the whole time. I felt a XRS 850 was a lumber wagon in the same trail.

Just my $0.02 keep in mind this is a 330hp, custom suspension, sled ultra light compared to stock. Doesn't apply to a stock suspension, and weight sled. Good luck!
DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE SLED WITH XP FUEL TANK AND SEAT INSTALLED ?
THANKS

I had the impulse aluminum tank and boss seat. In my garage thread I had my XP trail tank mocked up on ape. I wanted to convert it to doo tank before I crashed it. It will force a new exhaust.

Back