• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Newbie here with RS Vector Questions...Help!

OPIPE

Veteran
Hey all,
I am about to buy a 2005 RS Vector ER with 1900 Miles on it.
Looks to be in amazing shape from the photos but the proof will be in the pudding when I show up and look at it in person.
Problem is, it's over 6 hours away....but whatever. :o|

I am hoping all you experts here can provide me with a few pointers on what to look for ( any weak points ) in buying a US RS Vector?
I have done a bunch of reading on here, and know to look for any cracks in suspension parts.
I have to listen for the Cam Chain Tensioner rattle ( not totally sure what that sounds like, but I will listen anyway )

Is there anything else I should look for?

Please help!!!

Thanks
OPIPE

Cam tensioner is located on the right side of the engine, and the clutch is on the left. You will probably hear clutch rattle for sure. But you can distinquish that from the cam tensioner by listening for a noise on the right side of the engine.

Not sure if is has the mono supsension. But if it does - look for a loose cable from the dial to the shock. If it has the Pro-Active skid, look for cracks in the rails.

Other than that, the sled is pretty bulletproof. So look for the normal wear/tear stuff that can elude you to a sled that may have been abused. Condition of idler wheels, track, belt, wear bars, clutch ... etc. Excessive wear on those items could lead you to believe that the sled was abused, or the owner disconnected the odometer for a few year and the mileage shown isn't actual.

Exciterfan said:
I just picked up an 05 Vector. is the Cam tensioner a big issue? What do you do if you have some noise on the right side? Adjust it?

Thanks

Replace it with the updated one.

:yam: Welcome. T.O.R.S. update covered by Yamaha. Clutch rattle covered by Yamaha. Cam Chain Tensioner, some Yamaha cover, some people bite the bullet. (the cam chain is a biggie) Slide/Hy-fax usage, fix, marginal snow-wheel kit. Read up and have fun. :4STroke:

Thanks for all the info. everyone.
Well, it looks like I am officially part of the TY4Stroke Family.
I picked up my 2005 RS Vector ER yesterday.
1900 Miles, ( 3100 Klics - for us northerners )
No real mods, just studded, and schome windsheild.
That's it! ( which I like )

There were some small issues ( scratches - really dirty engine bay, badly oxidized tunnel ) but over all, for the money, I still think it was a steal!

I have been doing alot of reading, and still tonnes of questions, so I hope you can excuse the 4 Stroke Yamaha Newbee...

Thanks
OPIPE

It's not an easy sled to handle the corners. You really have to shift your weight to keep the inside ski from lifting. Heavy, but dependable sled. Slide wear is rather excessive. Maybe look into to using the new style Yamaha sliders, unless the previous owner upgraded to larger wheels already.

In low, or hard icy conditions, the sled has a habit of overheating. The coolers are mounted under the running boards and not up in the tunnel like it should. I found that under these conditions, I had to pile snow and ice on top of the running boards to keep engine temp in check.

Like any Yammy, new skis are a must.

Welcome to TY

A lot of it is set up. Like any sled you have to set it up right for your riding style height and weight.

As for getting new skis for the 05. I had an 05. all I did for the darting issue was supported the front of the sled so the skis were off the ground. I turned the adjusters on the front springs so they just touched the springs. After this adjustment, I had very little if any darting. (was 5 years ago, dont remember if all was gone or not, but DO know it was much better) Give it a try if you dont want to invest in different skis.

If I were to buy a 2005 Vector and the previous owner(s) could not provide documentation as to what has been done to the sled, here's what I would do:

1. Get the carbs cleaned and synched by a dealer
2. Change the cam chain tensioner - if it goes the engine goes with it
3. Change the stator while you're into #2 above
4. Add the accessory aux. rear tunnel heat xchanger
5. Drain the tank completely and add fresh fuel. If the sled hasn't been run in a few years, you should consider pulling the tank and cleaning it out. Easy to do.
6. Exhaust donuts are likely shot or almost gone. Have them changed when #'s 2 and 3 are done.

Basically a GREAT "turn the key and ride" sled, but like all sleds it can have its issues.

Exciterfan - please add your location to your user profile, it's a site requirement.

4strokeluvr111 - please be more spesific and add at least your state to your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management Team

Back