• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No strength in my right hand. *update sorta*

jthomp

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 Phazer
This was my first year riding, did about 700 miles and had trouble with "throttle thumb", right from the start. I haven't rode since 5 weeks ago and I still don't have all my strength in my right hand and wrist. I don't have full grip strength, or "flicking" power.

Hope this was the right forum, if not I apologize. I'd really like to hear some suggestions on how to prevent/combat this problem so I can get a full year in this coming season.
Thanks in advance. jt

The title of your post might have indicated another problem ;):D

Seriously, often times the problem is the position of the throttle. There is a screw that you could loosen to adjust the position of the throttle so that it is right for you. I always have to do this on new sleds. Did you try this?

At the end of the season yes. Also it seems that different sleds (I rode 4 different ones) affected me differently.
I'm also trying to understand why I still don't have full strength???????

If you are serious and have limited strength in your right hand lasting for weeks this is serious and you need to see an MD and have the nerve function to your hand assessed. This is not something caused by holding on to a handle bar even if it is vibrating.

I hope your joking and I missed the point, but this sounds like a serious neurological problem not a snowmobile problem.

I dont lose strength but do have persistant tenis elbow and some carple tunnel in my wrist when riding sled. To combat this I made sure that I never wear tight sleaved shirst or gloves or jackets when riding, this has made it better as at one point i had a jacket that was tight on the wrists and I noticed it more then. a couple years ago I installed a left hand throttle and it has been great, hard to get used to but alot easier on my right hand. I can ride with my left hand and let the other rest or can take it off the bar and shake it out, change its location which usually helps.
loss of strength seems like something else though and you should have that looked at.

Yeah try rotating the throttle position to put it more at the base of you thumb not the tip. This is what I have to do ir my thumb and wrist hurt like made. Although not for 5 weeks after I ride! That sounds serious.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
I have the thumb thing and helped when I rode my 95 Indy Lite but made things worse on my 97 Indy, didn't use it w/the Phazer.
My wrist doesn't hurt right now, I just notice that I have 90-95% of my strength, mostly in fingers.
Thanks again and I'll make an appt w/the doc on Monday.

BETHEVIPER said:
I dont lose strength but do have persistant tenis elbow and some carple tunnel in my wrist when riding sled. To combat this I made sure that I never wear tight sleaved shirst or gloves or jackets when riding, this has made it better as at one point i had a jacket that was tight on the wrists and I noticed it more then. a couple years ago I installed a left hand throttle and it has been great, hard to get used to but alot easier on my right hand. I can ride with my left hand and let the other rest or can take it off the bar and shake it out, change its location which usually helps.
loss of strength seems like something else though and you should have that looked at.

I had tennis elbow last year that I attribute to sledding. Man I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Hurts like hell. Couldn't straighten my arm out fully for weeks.

Both of my hands used to go numb riding my 06 Vector, the right was worse. I could barely feel it. Now that I ride a 06 Attak, I don't have any problems. I think its the riding position, on the Vector my hands were up on the bars and on the Attak they are down.

Same year I really froze my hands and they were numbish well into summer but are fine now.

Sounds like carpal tunnel. I had it pretty bad and didn't realize it. Now I have lost most of my muscle mass in my right thumb/palm area. In the pic you can see how flabby the palm muscle is at the base of the thumb. Also the funny hump in my thumb is from muscle loss. No muscle strength to hold the thumb in correct alignment.
You can also see the scar from the capal tunnel sugery at the center of the base of the palm. I had the surgery done a couple of years ago, but should have had it done years prior to that had I only known.
Damage is from 30+ years of beating the crap out of my hands using impact tools.
Guys, if your job is hard on your hands, get them checked regularly to prevent the damage you see here.
As far as riding goes, a LH throttle helps a lot! I find myself using it to hold the throttle in position while I adjust my grip on the bars with the right hand. Also hot hand grips help keep your muscles warm for more strength. Special thanks to Rockmiester for helping out on that one!

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 154
Can you guy's link me to a good Yami left hand throttle for my Attak?

Back