• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NO2 charged Nytro vs 2013 clutched Apex

nytrozula

Expert
Before I totaled my sled, I had a chance to the the 45hp shot of nitrous I installed over the summer. During prelim testing my rpm's were at 8800. With NO2 I was at 9200 so there was a significant change in the powerband. A friend of mine runs a 2013 Apex SE with a stage 2 clutch kit. We ran the sleds several times without the NO2. to eliminate traction issues we would run side by side at 40mph then start the race at a predetermined marker. We were neck and neck up to about 90-100mph at which time the Apex would easily pull away( note that I have a full Hindle setup installed, without it the Apex would easily run past my Nytro to 100 last year) This was very consistent for about 5 runs. Then I turned on the NO2 system on the Nytro. the Nytro immediately pulled away from the Apex by about 4-5 sled lengths and never lost ground to 100mph. The trail was extremely choppy so I didn't push past 100 but the sled was still pulling pretty good and it got there a LOT faster. What a fun little add on. I get about 100 seconds out of a bottle so it works out to about 10 runs. I have the NO2 hooked up to a ZEX switch so there is no need to push a button when you want the no2 injected. The zex switch senses WOT and injects it automatically. IT IS COMPLETELY STEALTH! It's fun to pull up to other 800's on the lake and turn it on and watch the 2 strokers reconsider the 4 stroke power. I haven't run against a turbo yet but I have to believe it will run with the stock XF1100 turbo Cat. I know it's limited to short runs but that's all I need anyhow. Most of the trails I ride are so tight that having all that power 100% of the time would be a waste and it only me about $500 for the full system with extra bottles which are $100 a piece by themselves. :nos

I run the same setup on my Nytro and love it! I can run with a turbo cat all day and even run past it on longer runs. It is a very simple install and minimal tuning for a huge increase in performance. I'm adding a turbo soon so I will have the power all the time for off trail use but the NO2 will be a really nice complement to the turbo as well.

I bought the kit from Kopenytro(member). he upgraded to a turbo and needed power all the time. there are no maps necessary with the Holtzman system. there is a solenoid that delivers no2 and fuel at the same time when activated so no need for a fuel controller to deliver extra fuel when no2 is added.

fxnytrose09 i have a holtzman kit here doing nothing. 2 bottle, 2 x 45hp nozzle (can use juste one if you want), bottle heater,nos pressure gauge. ...pm me if interested.

Notrous on Nitro

So I’m the guy w/ the Apex. Just thought I’d comment. I was shocked at the difference. We have raced MANY times, its Nytrozula favorite thing to do. The Hindle setup defiantly made a difference but the nitrous made a huge difference in performance. It was pretty cool to see the difference. I went from feeling my Apex had his Nitro’s number to seeing the Nitro pull about 4-5 sled lengths ahead.

I am kinda wondering about this as well for some short lived fun this winter. I would probably only use it when racing someone though since the only sleds that give me a hard time are the 800 etec ppl.

I have an 2009 xtx. ulmer stg 2 kit w/ excell header and superq silencer. He said that I should be hitting 8700-8800 rpms now faily quickly upon going wot and then slowly climb to 9200 rpms by the end of a long run.
Now this is without nitrous so one would think that the gain you are seeing is obv throughout the power band but in theory you should be over powering the clutching and hitting the rev limiter? 45hp more should mean heavier clutching as well.

Either way I want to try this!

simply clutch to about 8700 and that's it. The NO2 will basically raise the powerband another 300 rpm's. the rev limiter on the sled usually starts bouncing around 9400. I believe the tach is about 200 rpm's off as the limiter is actually set at 9200. Adding an ignition module would allow you to raise the rev limiter but I don't thinks its worth the extra $300.

I have a full exhaust ,k&n air filters, ulmer clutch kit and PCV on my nytro. I installed a Holtzman Noz set up from stright line proformance and blew my sled up first push of the button lol. That being said I had 30 shot nozzles for each filter and I just think it was to much for a stock motor. When I rebuilt motor I put everything back to stock except I used ARP head studs. I'm planning on trying it again this season but with C 16 race fuel and I'm gonna pull timing out of my PCV to create less head. Does anyone from experience know if this will cure my problem? Can you use a PCV with Nos? Any input would be great thanks

do you have a wideband afr gauge? I got the kit used from one of these guys above this past spring. its almost ready to go and I have my AEM wideband bung to weld on then ill be ready for snow. Pretty sure guys were saying at 6000rpms plus running your sled around 12.0 afr. Nitrous you might want it a bit richer yet even though its adding fuel.

Did you figure out what was the cause of engine failure during tear down?

I know the biggest issues some guy mentioned to me was bleeding the lines. I plan to try and install a purge solenoid if i get some extra cash otherwise she will be running rich until the NO2 goes through during bottle changes.

do you have a wideband afr gauge? I got the kit used from one of these guys above this past spring. its almost ready to go and I have my AEM wideband bung to weld on then ill be ready for snow. Pretty sure guys were saying at 6000rpms plus running your sled around 12.0 afr. Nitrous you might want it a bit richer yet even though its adding fuel.

Did you figure out what was the cause of engine failure during tear down?

I know the biggest issues some guy mentioned to me was bleeding the lines. I plan to try and install a purge solenoid if i get some extra cash otherwise she will be running rich until the NO2 goes through during bottle changes.
I stretched my head studs which created a domino affect. Blew head gasket then that created worpped piston and bent rod.
Yes before my run I did purge the lines.
No I do not have any other gauges. I'm gonna give Allen a call at ulmer and Jason a call at strightline and see what they have to say. I'm pretty convinced that it has to do with the program in my PCV and not using C16 race fuel for that big of a shot I was using

As far as purging the lines all you have to do is keep your bottle turned off and hit your button. That will fill your lines with fuel. Then turn your bottle on and your ready to go.
It was a fun 5 seconds I know that but an exspensive one lol

In theory this system should not need a PCV since it injects it own fuel, I think there are turn in screws on the top/bottom of the solenoid that adjust fuel flow.Twice as much NO2 but same amount of fuel would cause a lean condition so im sure lots of knock and super high cylinder pressure stretching the head studs..
From what I recall as well the turbo kits in the 210-220 range still run on pump gas as well 6-8psi which leads me to believe it was fuel amount related rather than octane. Octane would have helped with keeping the knock count down but only for so long. Im interested to see what Ulmer and Jason have to say. Running my setup for the first time in a few months and I am a bit nervous as well but there are so many others running the 3x15shots. AFR gauge will be my safety factor.

Back