• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Motor Noise

matpoh

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
I purchased a used Nytro for parts a while back and am going back and forth between parting it out or keeping it running. It currently starts, runs, and drives as it should with zero warning lights on the dash. Only issue is a very annoying tick in the motor and I am looking for some thoughts on what to look for first. I removed the primary clutch to narrow down the noise. Check the posted video to hear the tick/noise. It does speed up along with the motor but not shown in video.
Attached Video

Don't run it any longer!!! Rod bearing or it's one of the bearings on the counter balance shaft, regardless, do not run it!!!

Ouch! Check the oil for glitter, if its a rod bearing and as bad as it sounds, it should be full of glitter. If the oil is clean, I believe the Nytro/Vec motors have a cam chain tensioner recall and that caused some ticking as well. However nothing that bad IIRC.

Ouch! Check the oil for glitter, if its a rod bearing and as bad as it sounds, it should be full of glitter. If the oil is clean, I believe the Nytro/Vec motors have a cam chain tensioner recall and that caused some ticking as well. However nothing that bad IIRC.

Cam chain tensioner recall was only carb model Vectors, none of the EFI 1049 engines were affected.

Timing chain rattling around? Maybe a guide broke. Sure doesn't sound good. Get a stethoscope and see if you can hear where its coming from. Over my Macbook speakers it sounds like a higher pitch than a rod bearing.

99% positive it's a counterbalance shaft bearing making the noise (or possibly the PTO bearing on the clutch stub shaft, again stop running it, if the counterbalance shaft lets go it ruins everything!

Back