• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Powered Mini Jet Boat Build

Thanks Guys!!

That boat looks like tons of fun Irv.

I fixed this one up last year which is what got me hooked on jet boats.

Then I sold it and bought a TIG welder and some AL. Hopefully this one is a little easier on gas.

LEE337 said:
Thanks Guys!!

That boat looks like tons of fun Irv.

I fixed this one up last year which is what got me hooked on jet boats.

Then I sold it and bought a TIG welder and some AL. Hopefully this one is a little easier on gas.

I remember seeing that, which also likely means you probably already seen the pic I posted? Sorry, but it's hard to keep track with who's who around here! LOL.

That thing looks awsome. I have been checking out the jetboating new zeland forum from time to time over the past year and realy want to build one of these. Did you make your plans using "freeship plus" program or did you find a place to buy them. I have been searching the web for places to buy plans but found nothing.

Thanks! I created my own plans using solidworks software after doing alot of research around on the net. The flat patterns so far have fit up quite nicely once all formed together. If you are interested in the plans from me PM my inbox.

I was going to make seats, but i found a pair of these. I know they are polaris but the yamaha UTV seats just are not as nice.

They should be here this week then i can start laying out the interior.

Will do. You will be happy with those seats. I have a RZR and they are comfortable. You might want to look at something with some kind of sides to for the sharp corners you will be doing. Might help KEEP you in the actual drivers seat.LOL. I actualy have dxf file for a dune buggy seat if you want them. It would look similar to this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirkey-41700-Al ... 1010421544

If I am getting this correct, you are cutting it out yourself and not getting it laser cut. Wow thats awsome. Also looks like you are no stranger to tig welding. Nice welds. How is the fit up of the peices, looks prety good to me. With solidworks once the project is drawn up does it create dflat rawings for the peices and then you transfer them to the sheet aluminum. What thickness of material are you using. Sorry for all the questions

stomper said:
If I am getting this correct, you are cutting it out yourself and not getting it laser cut. Wow thats awsome. Also looks like you are no stranger to tig welding. Nice welds. How is the fit up of the peices, looks prety good to me. With solidworks once the project is drawn up does it create dflat rawings for the peices and then you transfer them to the sheet aluminum. What thickness of material are you using. Sorry for all the questions

- Yes I cut it all out using a simple skill saw. I worked very well on the straights and curves, I would not hesitate to to it again leaves a nice clean edge. Setting the blade depth just a bit deeper than material thikness made the outside curves easy. Inside curves i still used a bandsaw or jigsaw. I had to do it this way since the biggest laser we have here at work is 5' X 10'. The sides when laid flat are just short of 12'.

- I used sheetmetal features in Solidworkss for all the flats. These tools includes lofted bends which was new to me since at work i deal all with staight brake press bends. Fit up has been great.

- Since i was not able ot utilize laser cutting, i printed all the flats full scale, taped the sheets to the AL then used a utility knife to mark the lines. It was all cut out minus the wind screen in 5 hrs on a Saturday. then 3 hrs on the brake press. So if a guy/gal had all the tools he could have a tacked together hull in a weekend easy.

- 1/4" delta pad (bottom center). 3/16" Bottom outers, 1/8" Side, back, hood, 0.060" Windscreen. 5052 AL.

Nikolai said:
Very cool! I'd love to build something similar to use my turbo nytro motor in the summer.

Thanks! If this all works well that just might be the next step. I have yet to dive into the turbo world yet so all that would be new to me.

This was the first flat pattern I was not happy with. I do not like the point in the middle top so i think i will modify it to the tape line.

What do you guys think?

Thanks! Update from the weekend:

Seats and motor are not permanently mounted yet. I just got started mocking things up.

Lee

brad4639 said:
Sweet project! You're way better at Solidworks than I am. How thick of alum did you use and what did you use to bend it?

Thanks, I believe I listed all the thicknesses on the previous page. I used our 175 ton CNC Cinncinati brake here at work for all the straight bends with 3mm radius tooling.

The boat will most likely be on hold the next few weeks as i actually plan on putting some miles on the sled. :sled1:

Been riding but have made some design progress.

Hopefully get started on actually making the intake this week.

Lee

Back