• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro S/C Boost (180 kit) & Upgrading Requirements?

Krummy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 FX Nytro
Alright guys, I have been reading for weeks now of threads on here talking about boost. I am trying to wrap my head around all of it and do everything to have safe HP from boost. I recently purchased an 09 nytro and a 180 MPI supercharger kit. This sled will be used in anywhere from 800ft to 1600ft elevation. As I understand it, this kit will run somewhere around 5-5.5 lbs boost with the standard 26-28 pulleys. Lets say I wanted to increase this number to 10-12 psi and still continue to run pump 91 octane gas. What all would be required? If 10-12 isn't acheivable, how high can I go? I am fully aware that a head shim is necessary and I might as well put arp studs in there while it is opened up since heads bolts should not be reused. What else is needed for 10-12 psi?

-new fuel pump? (model number please)
-extra cooling?
-intercooler?
-timing changes?

Am I over complicating this or will all of the above be necessary? Any help to clear this up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The stock pump is good up to 10psi....with the head shim you should be good to run 91 at 10lbs but if you take some timing away you might be able to run 12 but I would probably want the intercooler.

So with that said, I currently have a bone stock 09 nytro and an MPI 180 S/C kit. If I were looking to go to 8-10 psi boost, all I would need to do would be to put the head shim kit in with ARP studs and potentially change the timing? Obviously I would need to change over the pulleys too. I just didn't know where the cut offs were in terms of PSI for each individual component. I know certain combinations will change the answer to the below questions, but at what pressure on the nytro do you have to upgrade the following:

-Upgrade to intercooler (at what pressure is this an absolute must?)
-Additional Tunnel Coolers?
-Fuel Pump and Regulator? (10 psi?)
-Fuel Injectors?
-Timing Changes?

My goal is to increase the boost as high as possible without breaking the bank and without hurting the motor. Even if the head shim alone gets me to 8-10 psi boost, I would be extremely content with that as long as it were safe to run. I will have an A/F gauge on the sled. I really appreciate the input. Thanks

26-28 with be more than 5.5 . I run 27t -28b and at 8900 it will on a cold day sit on the line at 6. 5.5 all day long even at a bit lower rpm. I ran a test last year and went to 27x29b and boost went to 7+ which is a bit high for pump fuel. Gotta keep it under 6 lbs to be safe and you will have no issues. FYI on my old nytro i ran 25t x 29b and it would run 9-10 lbs.

I am running 25t and 29b pulley setup, at 8400rpm its 9.5 lbs and was running out of fuel my afr was 13.0 with a fuel pump upgrade. I installed 430cc ulmer injectors and now have no problem with fuel delivery.

If you want to run 10-12 psi I would add injectors to your list. I ran 13psi on pump gas with your above list with injectors and controlled fuel with a PCV but left the timing stock.
I have almost everything you listed above from a stage 2 kit that the bearings in the blower went bad in. PM me if you want any more info

Maybe an easier question for me to ask is how far can I safely push a bone stock 09 nytro with a 180 HP S/C kit, .060" head shim, and ARP Studs? Can I take this setup to 8 psi safely (stock fuel pump, stock 330 injectors, no intercooler, no additional coolers)? Will a timing change or PCV be required with a .060" head shim at ~800 ft elevation? As I mentioned, I will have an A/F & boost gauge on the sled. I just purchased the sled and super charger so I would like to postpone any major costs if at all possible for now.

There is no benefit to ARP head studs for pump boost gas levels on a stock motor. Save your $$$ for a good AFR gauge...

As I understand it, when adding a head shim, you have to replace the head bolts anyway as they are a one time use. I have a good connection with arp studs so I can get them for just slightly more than stock head bolts. I already have a very good afr gauge for the sled.

I'm in a similar predicament. I installed the 180 kit this season and it ran great but would like to get a little more power from it.

Trying to decide if I should go with the full stage 1 upgrade from mpi or install exhaust, cold air kit, and a 27t pulley.

I'd love to be at 200 reliable hp

Maybe an easier question for me to ask is how far can I safely push a bone stock 09 nytro with a 180 HP S/C kit, .060" head shim, and ARP Studs? Can I take this setup to 8 psi safely (stock fuel pump, stock 330 injectors, no intercooler, no additional coolers)? Will a timing change or PCV be required with a .060" head shim at ~800 ft elevation? As I mentioned, I will have an A/F & boost gauge on the sled. I just purchased the sled and super charger so I would like to postpone any major costs if at all possible for now.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Another question I have is regarding the Head shim itself. Is there any good reason why companies are making these out of S/S instead of aluminum? It might not be a big factor but I would think aluminum would be a better choice due to consistent thermal expansion with the rest of the block. Any thoughts on this? Let me know, thanks

My thought with Aluminum is that on a Nytro motor the spacing between the cylinders is very small and with aluminum it could melt fairly easily.

Ttt, anyone have any further information on this topic? I am considering picking up a 27 or 26t pulley for the 180 kit along with putting in a .060 head shim and arp studs. Any opinions on this when running pump gas? Let me know, thanks

Stock injectors and pump are only good to 6psi or so.

Fuel pump with rising rate regulator you should be able to run 11-12 psi on pump gas.

Im not sure if adding an intercooler will help you or not. It should be intercooled at that psi, but there isnt much airflow under the hood for an intercooler to work properly on a nytro. There will be alot of heat under that hood. I assume you already have the auxiliary heat exchanger in the tunnel, if not, get that for sure.

Stock injectors and pump are only good to 6psi or so.

Fuel pump with rising rate regulator you should be able to run 11-12 psi on pump gas.

Im not sure if adding an intercooler will help you or not. It should be intercooled at that psi, but there isnt much airflow under the hood for an intercooler to work properly on a nytro. There will be alot of heat under that hood. I assume you already have the auxiliary heat exchanger in the tunnel, if not, get that for sure.
Well said Big Phil! That is exactly what I learned after beating my head against the wall last season!

Back