• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off subject

stevieu1

Expert
I'd like to ask my fellow apex riders about listening to music while riding. I tried it for the first time last year. Ear buds suck. What other options are out there for helmet speakers. Preferably Bluetooth.

http://www.sena.com/
I use these for communicating with my daughter while riding, when she's not with me I plug my phone or ipod into them. awesome but u have to be careful I find myself going to the beat and sometimes going to fast for other people in the pack. smh10 are the ones I use ,can buy single or pair.

I tried speakers in my helmet but speaker volume was weak and I couldn't hear much. I then ran everything through an amp but the speaker volume had to be so loud to overcome ambient engine & wind noise that I got headaches from all the noise. Ear buds worked the best but they were hard to keep in. I found a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to make custom fit ear buds and they are fantastic. Total Bluetooth operation with my Scala Rider G9X for phone calls or listening to music on my sled or motorcycle. I even plug them directly into my phone and listen to music while cutting grass on my riding mower. Volume can be turned down and sound is amazing.

There are a bunch of DIY videos on YouTube but there is a link below of a geeky sort of dude making a set....

We use FRS radios to communicate through helmet headsets. I'm on my 2nd set in 10 years. Use to be able to get it from MotoComm for ~$50. Mine has a mute for the music and auto mutes the music when someone radios. I use a PTT on the bars. The weak point is the stalk that hangs down from the helmet, these wires tend to break over time. One of my riding buddies got a Rugged Radios.com helmet rig and while it is expensive it seems well made. I will switch that set up and we will switch to UHF/VHF radios for better range. These have a patch for the stereo from the phone and the volume is plenty loud. I almost never ride without listening to music. The downside is the wire but I just have never been trusting enough with a Bluetooth system to invest in them.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1016&products_id=1783

I prefer ear buds over speakers to help block the wind noise on my sled & my bike. I use a thin lycra balaclava that helps hold them in. I have the control button from the ear buds next to my mouth in a BRP BVS helmut. They make noise reduction earbuds now that are incredible. I've used speakers, but the music isn't too good @ speed. BTW...for those that think riding & listening to music is distracting, they should try it! I concentrate more with music! It keeps my mind from wandering in the "not so exciting" times. I can ride 16-17 hours if they didn't make me come in! I carry two I-pods plus chargers with me. All my buds now ride with music. My biggest problem is i listen to very heavy hard music that fires up my riding style. I had to install Beach Boys & The Platters to slow me down...

I'd like to ask my fellow apex riders about listening to music while riding. I tried it for the first time last year. Ear buds suck. What other options are out there for helmet speakers. Preferably Bluetooth.
You can buy a helmet that has pockets desinged for speakers, i used the budwiser speakers you get free in a case of beer and removed them from there cardboard case and slide them in , they connect with a 3.5 mm jack , cheap and sound good but not blutooth

Most of us in my riding group tried Sena Bluetooth radios this past season. My GMAX54S has built in pockets that fit the speakers perfectly. It wasn't the coldest year but I went 2 days without charging with constant music paired to the Sena. Simple 2 way conversation was a breeze. Group commo was more complex in setup. You can literally make and take a phone call if that's your thing (more useful perhaps if you swap the unit over to you street helmet). For just music it may be pricey but works like a charm. Sorry my wired set didn't wear out sooner.

Back