• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Tank RTV Silicone-What did you use?

Been using the “Right stuff” for over 25 yrs. Zero issues. My 2 cents.

My dealer used Yamabond 6b. He put it on the case and used it on the sight glass.
I let it set up for a day before putting the oil in.
If you read my post, he also "peened" the case around the sight glass, because it was such a loose fit.
sight glass is chaincase, separate issue but mine looks good, Im not sure how some of them came out.

If your reverse shaft gets bent the reverse chain goes slack and rips out the sight glass. Believe it happens if they jump out of gear some times.

Thanks gang, I think this is a great way to get a consensus....

Im finding guys use many diff types/brands RVT....and im starting to think Cat is torquing these cases down immediately(or too quickly) after applying silicone, and too much is pressed out. Most the auto guys will tell you to wait a good hour or so after hand tightening, before torquing to final spec......I grabbed some of the Optimum on way home, and it states on the directions to do this,allow to set up.

The Optimum is their TOP DOG when it comes to RTV I was told, but Im guessing many will work. This along with Ultra black are the two that are specifically aimed toward OIL.

Ill post all this into my build thread tomorrow when I start puting it all pack together.

Dan

Last season I used yamabond on my winder, and ultra black on a buddies viper a few weeks later when we had his apart and i remembered i was out of yamabond. Neither leaked, we put about 1400 miles on both

I would personally go to my local ford or international dealer and get a tube of the sealant used on the 7.3l powerstorke. Stuff is amazing. You need a caulk gun to use. My second option would be right stuff. I’ve done 20+ 7.3 oil pans using the ford sealant. Never had one leak.

This stuff ?

Screenshot_20181001-114111_Dolphin.jpg
Screenshot_20181001-114346_Dolphin.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! That’s the stuff! Works awesome.

I think the key is to let it thicken up enough according to the brand, before torquing bolts. If you do it too soon, it just squeezes it all out. When doing it on a bench as I did, the weight of the tank is enough to squish out a fair amt of silicone, so I just let mine site like that for an hour then torqued it down to 10ft lbs.

NOTE: I have two spec sheets, one shows 8ft lbs other shows 12 ft lbs.

I just did mine, waited a full hour before torque bolts. Read instructions for whichever you use.

Dan

IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg

Last edited:
I have had excellent results over the years from ultra copper, on anything with oil, gas, or exhaust fittings.

67D1C3D2-B767-4B5C-AE64-EA9C73FF644A.jpeg

This is the stuff I used Dan,I’m a GM technician. We use this on all are engines works awesome. Checked mine this year all dry.

Thanks Dan and no somehow I missed your tq Specs. I'm suprised that it's 12ft points, seems like a lot for that. I would have thought it would have been an inch pound measurement.

Back