• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ok to add additional idler wheel?

snow_rider

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX-LE 50th
Hello,
I have the skid out and have gone through it to get ready for upcoming season, and I was thinking about adding an additional idler wheel to the outside of the rails. In the pic attached there are pre-drilled holes to accept the wheel mounts. Is it ok to add a wheel in these locations? It seems so to me, but I thought I would throw it out there and get consensus?
IMG_0561.jpeg

Steve

Some aftermarket options here:

I was looking at these for my SRBiper, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Where's autocorrect when you need it.

Some aftermarket options here:

I was looking at these for my SRBiper, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Those little wheels are junk. Because they are so small, bearing wear out twice as fast, they ice up, stop turning, and last about 500 miles.

I had purchased 4 additional wheel mounts and hardware just like the original and added heavier duty wheels to my 17.
No issues at all.
Hyfax didn't wear either after adding them.
Screenshot_20231026-172405_Gallery.jpg

Yup, RPM is very high on those little wheels at 100+ MPH. At 100 MPH, track is turning 12 times per second. Haven't figured it out but I can only imagine what the RPM is on those little wheels! That said, the Procross rails that I've seen have a problem with hyfax wear on the curve coming down from the drive axles, and of course further back between front idlers and rear wheels.

I had purchased 4 additional wheel mounts and hardware just like the original and added heavier duty wheels to my 17.
No issues at all.
Hyfax didn't wear either after adding them.
View attachment 173841
What wheels did you go with, I'm looking to replace mine. Inner and exterior wheels...

Barn of parts heavy duty idler wheels for sidewinder.
I replaced my 4 bogey wheels with the larger 147mm BOP wheels in my Viper this year. We'll see how they perform

Yep I have 8 on mine, kinda wish u had 2 infront of the rear axle also. Just get 2 mounts and bolts and 2 more factory wheels. Or replace all with j&t. I would suggest not going oversize on sidewinder as wheel is already large compared to rail with slides. They don’t need to wear much to just be 100% on the wheels as it is. Ask me how I know lol. As you can see my dad modeling a level for me. Sliders aren’t even at west line yet an that would destroy wheel mounts and bolts. Broke several per ride from half worn to this point.

Attachments

• IMG_7217.jpeg
    IMG_7217.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 81
Here’s pic with the 8 wheels

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 78