• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

One ski ahead of the other?

RUDEDOG

I have one ski that looks to be 2 to 3inches ahead of the other. It looks like the aluminum leg that attaches the balls joints to the arms & the ski looks bent? One looks like it is almost straight up and down and the other looks like it is bent forward.
I haven't hit anything hard and I haven't ran my skis into anything that I can remember.
With the ball joints, will this aluminum leg move back & forth a little bit?

Thanks

With bad ball joints you'll get some play, but not 2-3 inches worth! Sounds like another victim of SFS!!! Sub Frame Syndrome!! :o|

Mine was the same till I put new ball joints in . The angle of spindle and the ski tips are in line again.

Could you inform me of what Subframe Syndrome is? I haven't hit anything with it but a couple 1/2" trees saplings. I have checked everything and nothing looks bent except for the aluminum "spindle".

Ball joints look and feel tight

RUDEDOG said:
Could you inform me of what Subframe Syndrome is? I haven't hit anything with it but a couple 1/2" trees saplings. I have checked everything and nothing looks bent except for the aluminum "spindle".

PLEASE!!! Can we not get into this again. Go to your dealer and he'll take care of you. Their is a bulliten for the lower ball joints that is covered under warranty. GOOD LUCK AND kEEPER BETWEEN THE TREES! ;)!

one of my spindles was bent inwards. had them both replaced. the spindles won't win any awards for being the strongest.

check your a-arm bushings for wear. that might help clean up the slop.

if those check out fine, and you're sure your balljoints are tight, then your subframe "might" be tweaked.

I don't think you have one bent forward, more likely the other one is bent back.

Are your shocks centered inbetween your upper a-arms?

with new balljoints, a-arm bushings & new spindles, mine still aren't centered.

Best bet would be to take it to dealer and let them figure it out.

BLUE BALLER

Thanks for the thread! Visually the only part that looks remotely bent is the spindle that must be pushed back where it makes it look straight up & down. Ball joints seemed tight and the A-arms looked the same as the other side.
The ONLY thing I have hit that I could think of would be a small tree that folded right down when it hit the cormer of the ski & arms. (maybe 1/2" in diameter)
I wonder if this would be something that could be bent back instead of replacing

Thanks

Yep, you can bend it back with a BIG prybar between the a arms and a little elbow grease. Just make sure you use leverage with the bar placed near the end of the arms (close to the spindle) You'll be surprised how easy it goes back into place....

RUDEDOG said:
I have one ski that looks to be 2 to 3inches ahead of the other. It looks like the aluminum leg that attaches the balls joints to the arms & the ski looks bent? One looks like it is almost straight up and down and the other looks like it is bent forward.
I haven't hit anything hard and I haven't ran my skis into anything that I can remember.
With the ball joints, will this aluminum leg move back & forth a little bit?

Thanks

I had the same problem on my daughters Phazer. The top of the spindle was exact measurement on both sides but the bottom was set back 3/4 of an inch or so on one side which set the ski back 2 inches. Ball joints were fine, A-arms weren't bent, looked like the spindle was bent but is wasn't after comparison to the other side. I removed the whole sub frame and found that it was all tweeked... not sure how or when that happened. I didn't want to spend $500.00 plus for a new sub frame so we ovaled out the holes for the bottom A-arm mounts and welded in some heavy washers to relocate the holes. Worked great and everything lines up perfect... for now. I was thinking about trying to straighten out the sub frame but couldn't really see an exact spot that things bent, you could just see that it was tweeked. I was afraid it wouldn't line back up to the sled if we got two carried away trying to straighten it out.

Well if that the case than I might as well hit another tree on the other side if the sub frame is that weak! :o| The tree was so small it didn't even slow me down! Crazy, thanks for the help

You shouldn’t hit another tree. You should hit the same tree again. It's important that the impact is balanced so you don't over do it.

Take it to your dealer and ask them to have the Yamaha rep take a look at it. Other people have been comp'd a new sub-frame when there isn't obvious impact damage. Might work for you too.

My vote would be that the SUB-FRAME is bent! Yours is far from the first time we've heard this story: Hit big stuff and nothing happened, now hit a little bump and frame is bent.

Take it to your dealer as soon as you can, they have fixed some of them under warrenty.

Goodluck,

Dustin

stock said:
Mine was the same till I put new ball joints in . The angle of spindle and the ski tips are in line again.

My Wife's did the same thing. My dealer even ordered new A arms for the right side thinking they were bent. After changing the ball joints and bushings everything lined back up again and looked good so he didn't replace the arms.

1050THMPR said:
RUDEDOG said:

PLEASE!!! Can we not get into this again. Go to your dealer and he'll take care of you. Their is a bulliten for the lower ball joints that is covered under warranty. GOOD LUCK AND kEEPER BETWEEN THE TREES! ;)!

YEA no kidding, just wait you'll get JamieLaTurbo in here and all the other haters in here flaming up the Nytro.

Have the ball joints replaced and the a arm plastic bushing if they are bad. Better yet, have the dealer replace the ball joints and get some brass bushings from Ulmer to replace the crappy factory ones. I dont understand why all the manu's don't use brass. Weight i guess?

Back