• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ontario Ride through Green eyes

jimmie d

TY 4 Stroke Master
To Chris and Yamaha I say many many thanks, Over a foot of fresh powder, temps around 10F meant a great day on some great sleds, of course an 05 Vector is missing a bumper because of me. We started out around 11 and di not get back until after 4 with a stop for lunch, trail speeds were a;lways in the 40-60 mph ranges so the sleds were really worked on some great trails. By nthe way the Tuirbo was Chris's MC Express. I have to leave due to conference calls and meetings.

The Attak really surprised me in how it handled and looked to me it was the all-around best followed closely by the Nitro, this sled is really one fun sled to ride as was the Vector GT both were way improved from the 05.

I really now question how much practical use the average rider will get out of the adjustable shocks in real life application, of those the RTX was my favourite over the GT ( I HAD a GT on order) so I am surprised, as the GT just did not feel right. The E/R is the definate price point leader next to the Attak if you can do without the fancy shocks.

The stock 05 RX1 felt out of place and my 136" 03 rode better except for the seat.

Yamaha put on a tremendous show for us and went out of their way to allow us to ride the sleds in the fashion we wanted. A tremendous lineup for 06 and a tremendous group of people to deal with, thanks Tom for your help. The detail and tech guys will give a far more detailed report I am sure. The plastic truck cover is still there, these were 80-90% finished models for production.

The weird thoing was it seemed every seat on the Apex models was slightly different with the GT being the least satisfying to me.

For you Warrior guys the 136" Mono on the Attak seems to be a full 136" but to my eyes the layout is the same as a 121" mono as far as shock placement with the extra 15" inches only housing the rear idlers similar to an extention.

Dan your theory proved right on the Attak.

Jim the Pine Tree Guy.

PS....a 136" is only 7.5" longer not 15" :) Nice write up. ===SRXSRULE===

Well Green I think you helped me feel that I am making the right choice. 2006 Attak... Couldn't test ride it but I guess I will have to dump the coin an d hope and pray for Yamaha's sake that it turns out to be a good sled...

Thanks for the post Green - helpful info. Seems that you had plenty of time to really put the sleds through their paces.
Interesting to hear your opinions on the GT. I had every intention of ordering this model this weekend but have just spiked the brakes over your comments. Did you find that the premium shocks made much of a difference over the ER model and are worth the extra $$$? Also what specifically did you find different with the GT seat - harder, softer, higher, etc. ?
Finally, I noticed high praise on the Nitro. Was this just due to it's "fun factor" and was this sled comfortable to ride for longer distances (any issue with rider comfort or coldness).
Thanks again for your input.

Thanks a bunch Jim, you just put my mind at ease with my choice of ordering an Attak ;)!

The layout of the GT seat/bar required you to sit mid-seat as further back on the seat required you to lean forward and down to be comfortable as you sat high at the rear of the seat. With nhe way the E/R Apex and Attak rode I personally don't see the need for the shock upgrade. If you must the RTX seemed a better ride than the GT.

I am spoiled by Simmons skis so I found all the sleds darted far too much but in fairness that could perhaps be dialed out with proper set-up.

The Nytro was just a blast to ride but I enjoy roaming around on the seat and leaning in corners. The FOX Floats were amazing on both the Nytro and RTX. Didn't ride for mre than 15 miles so cannot comment on long trip but for that 15 miles was great fun.

My choice is still Attak/Nytro followed by RTX/Vector GT

Jim

What spec were your machines in? The seat and bars on the Apex ER and Apex GT will be identical. they might have been adjusted different or the proto seat might have been too soft on one machine. Keep in mind you are riding prototype machines. I got to ride in Sault Saint Marie with the dealers and attended the tech seminar in Ypsilanti and and the guys from Yamaha said the ER and GT front shocks will eventually be valved the same but the GT will be easier for us to tune/adjust. I'm thinking Apex ER red but still have my eye on the GT. My take is that in final production the GT will be the same as the ER but with more adjustability front and rear and once the Ohlins spec is final it might be a little better plus I like the chrome look.

Man the more I read about the 2006 demo rides you guys have been on, the more I just can't wait for the new sled. I think Im gonna go crazy!!

Delta, I agree as the GT just felt awkward but the base Apex and the Attak really rode great and if the guys can same a few bucks and be satisfied is the best of both worlds. Now the RTX really felt good.

The only bad part of any of the sleds were IMHO the plastic top on the trunk and the stock skis especially in the loose snow conditions we ran on.

Yamaha has many hits here, now they have to get the other camps riders on them and the fancy shocks and the Nytro should get them into the dealerships.

Jim

Back