• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex XTX for lighter rider?

It's definitely stiffer than a Monoshock.

I added fx nytro springs to both my XTX'S and it made a nice difference.
The XTX may not be the right choice for her/us then. Her Vector rides like a couch. When I stretched it from 121 to 136, I kept her original short track Vector mono shock/spring and she loves it that way. Normally, you would want the one from a Vector or Apex LTX for a little higher spring rate.

I’ve run both suspension in DB sleds and I’ll take a stretched Mono 100% over the CK skid. With the right spring selection/valving the Mono is quite capable in the rough and still rides much plusher than the CK in all conditions. I’ve had 121, 136, and now a 146” custom tipped rail Mono skid but I’d take the 136/137 version with proper setup in a trail sled hands down, seems to work the best through the bumps and provides great handling.

I’ve run both suspension in DB sleds and I’ll take a stretched Mono 100% over the CK skid. With the right spring selection/valving the Mono is quite capable in the rough and still rides much plusher than the CK in all conditions. I’ve had 121, 136, and now a 146” custom tipped rail Mono skid but I’d take the 136/137 version with proper setup in a trail sled hands down, seems to work the best through the bumps and provides great handling.
We have a 13 and 14 128" and 12 and 14 144" our 128" Apex's sit while We ride the XTX's. The XTX's are like riding on a couch thru the Northern Wisconsin trails.

Last edited:
We have a 13 and 14 128" and 12 and 14 144" our 128" Apex's sit while We ride the XTX's. The XTX's are like riding on a couch thru the Northern Wisconsin trails.
What's your rider weight? That will make a difference.

My Wife is 135lbs. and I'm 265lbs.
Have you done anything to change the suspension setup on the one your wife rides? Seems like it would be far too stiff. Are you aggressive riders? We both are.

EDIT: Sorry, I just looked back and see that you replied that you have the Star Suspension kit and Hygear spacers. I am a little concerned about the fact that the Star Suspension kit uncouples the suspension. That usually translates into ski lift in aggressive corners... at least it does for sleds like a Sidewinder. A coupled Sidewinder LTX will rail the corners much better than the uncoupled Sidewinder XTX.

My ‘11 XTX had the Star upgrade, custom valved shocks, and I tried several different rates of torsion springs, still prefer a well setup Mono 136/137 for where and how I ride. Tuned enough the 144 CK skid got pretty close, and if you’re set on a longer track it’s a fantastic all around sled, I just couldn’t get it to the level of my previous Mono setups and that was important to me. If all out comfort is what your lady wants It’s much easier to make a Mono cushy than a CK. I’ll also say that it’s much easier to make a 144 CK skid “capable” in the trash than a Mono. @VX1R has a good right up about his experience with both as well if you do a search.

Have you done anything to change the suspension setup on the one your wife rides? Seems like it would be far too stiff. Are you aggressive riders? We both are.

EDIT: Sorry, I just looked back and see that you replied that you have the Star Suspension kit and Hygear spacers. I am a little concerned about the fact that the Star Suspension kit uncouples the suspension. That usually translates into ski lift in aggressive corners... at least it does for sleds like a Sidewinder. A coupled Sidewinder LTX will rail the corners much better than the uncoupled Sidewinder XTX.
From my previous experience with a stretched out 144" Mono skid using the Star Suspension kit I can honestly say that the kit has zero negative attributes with an Apex. By uncoupling the Mono skid with the Star kit it really transforms the skid in a very positive way...especially big bump handling and with no unwanted ski lift when accelerating or cornering at any speed. It also seems to allow the suspension to utilize all of it's travel all of the time.
I sent that sled down the road a number of years ago and jumped on the SideWinder bandwagon, but I still miss that sled...the sweet sound of that 4-cylinder mill at full tilt is hard to beat along with the seemly endless pull of the motor.

1690486300173.png

From my previous experience with a stretched out 144" Mono skid using the Star Suspension kit I can honestly say that the kit has zero negative attributes with an Apex. By uncoupling the Mono skid with the Star kit it really transforms the skid in a very positive way...especially big bump handling and with no unwanted ski lift when accelerating or cornering at any speed. It also seems to allow the suspension to utilize all of it's travel all of the time.
I sent that sled down the road a number of years ago and jumped on the SideWinder bandwagon, but I still miss that sled...the sweet sound of that 4-cylinder mill at full tilt is hard to beat along with the seemly endless pull of the motor.
You wouldn't be using the Star kit with a mono skid.

You wouldn't be using the Star kit with a mono skid.
You are correct.....Sorry, but I had a senior moment and forgot that I had the CK skid in the sled :)

I have done a lot of adjusting, and made some changes in parts. The best thing I did was installed the Star kit. uncoupling this suspension makes it feel like your on a couch. No ski lift and rails around corners.

I have done a lot of adjusting, and made some changes in parts. The best thing I did was installed the Star kit. uncoupling this suspension makes it feel like your on a couch. No ski lift and rails around corners.
Are you using the stock torsion springs or the Nytro XTX torsion springs for your wife with the Star kit?

Well... we bought a 2012 Apex XTX. I will likely buy the Star Suspension kit. I have a local guy that can revalve the shocks. Would you guys recommend changing the center shock spring to a stiffer one like Star recommends? I believe the stock one is around a 90-lb rate. Star is currently recommending a 150-lb spring. They used to recommend the Yamaha #8CX-47336-10-00 which is a 203-lb rate but isn't available anymore. I have also found that Yamaha dual-rate springs #8CH-47336-40-00 (113/203) and #8CH-47336-50-00 (150/230) should fit since they are from the same group of sleds that the 8CX-47336-10-00 fit. They also appear to be available yet.

Can the center shock spring be changed without removing the skid? I can do it on my Sidewinder by just removing the upper bolt on the center shock. Does that work on this CK skid?

i take the shocks out on my 2011 xtx every year with the skid still in the sled. heck i did it one year without supporting the rear of the sled or backing the track off.

i take the shocks out on my 2011 xtx every year with the skid still in the sled. heck i did it one year without supporting the rear of the sled or backing the track off.
Is there any tricks to it on this skid?

Back